Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Paris Restaurants: Cassoulet and some nice prix fixe ideas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessertdujour

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Paris Restaurants: Cassoulet and some nice prix fixe ideas? Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I've been to Paris a few times, but find myself drawn back to the restaurants that I love. I want to try some new places when I return in November.

First off, I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a good place for cassoulet. This is one of my favorite dishes, but it's made in so many different ways; I want to broaden my palate.

Also, if I could get a few names of restuarants with nice prix fixe menus, around 40 euros or less, that would be great. I'm sure everyone has some favorites, and I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks for all of your help!
atodedeus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: L'Os a Moelle Reply with quote

I had a delicious prix fixe meal at L'Os a Moelle, in the 15th a few weeks ago. They have a 6-course tasting menu which changes every night (and no other menu), which they described as small portions -- but by the end of it, I couldn't eat another bite. AND -- it was only 38 euros! What a bargain!

As for cassoulet -- I would be very interested in this answer. I just had the best cassoulet of my life in Bordeaux and I'm curious if anything in Paris can compare...
dessertdujour

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a friend send me a cassoulet recommendation via e-mail. Thoumieux in the 7th is apparently the place to go.

Thank you for the recommendation! I will try to get there.
creampuff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends and I were wowed by the prix fixe menu at L'Ardoise at 28 rue du Mont thabor
01-42-96-28-18

The atmosphere was a bit on the casual side, but the food certainly wasn't.
It is a three-course meal with very generous portions by a chef who trained with la tour d'argent.

Ardoise means blackboard and that's how the menu is presented.

About 30 to 35 euros.

I ate there in May and loved it. It is also open Sunday nights (closed Mon and Tues)

Have a great trip.
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm going to need a little help here from the Paris natives, because I've been to two wonderful restaurants for cassoulet, and tant pis, cannot remember the name of either one.
The first one is only a few blocks from Thoumieux. It's on Rue Clare, and it's a very small family restaurant with a woman's name like Annie's or something. I can picture it: especially the cassoulet with the giant white beans, unusual and flavorful.
The second one is by Place de Republique, on Rue Timbaud. The cassoulet was fabulous, the specialty of the house, and easily twice as much as I could eat.
HELP?
cocoaloco

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Paris Restaurants Reply with quote

1. Echo Thoumieux.
Each time we are in Paris, my vegetarian husband throws caution to the wind and orders cassoulet at Thoumieux. He likes theirs best.
2. If this is duck, I must be in Paris.
I have a thing for duck, confit to be more precise. It's one of France's great gifts to cuisine. I've eaten duck confit all over Paris but my favorite is that served at Le Suffren (corner of ave de la Motte Picquet and ave Suffren on the border between 7th-15th). First there is the nearly intoxicating aroma of freshly chopped garlic that mingles with the steam from the duck and sauteed potatoes. Then there's the duck that is chewy, tender, crispy and unctuous in all the right places.
jujufromparis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Paris Restaurants: Cassoulet and some nice prix fixe ide Reply with quote

about nice prix fixe, i've been to C'Amelot (rue Amelot) yesterday night. it was the 3rd time in few years. it is still a very good surprise. 32 euros the fixed menu: 3 courses and a dessert.
soupe de potiron à l'infusion de badiane
chipirons sautés avec risotto
parmentier de canard
inventive, delicious and simple. the wine selection is short but very good.

Thoumieux for Cassoulet is good pick.
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the name of the cassoulet restaurant close to the Place de Republique. It's called Auberge Pyrenees-Cevennes, at 106 Rue de la Folie Mericourt (tel. number 01.43.57.33.7Cool It's owned and run by a husband and wife team. She's upfront; he's in the kitchen. The cassoulet is wonderful, and the atmosphere is delightful. It's not pretentious at all; the prices are quite reasonable for the quality of food. The restaurant was highly recommended by Patricia Wells a few years ago, and as a result, they proudly have an autographed copy of her cookbook in the restaurant. But because it's not on any tourist circuit, you're likely to see only locals eating there. I've eaten both at this restaurant and at Thoumieux, and honestly, I think the food is better at Auberge. Thoumieux is a more popular, trendy, smarter restaurant, with the energy and bustle that you would expect at a successful Paris bistrot. Auberge reminds you of a more provincial restaurant.
simona

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, dessertdujour, atodedeus, creampuff, jujufromparis, cocoaloco, and you too CB, for reminding me of my beloved cassoulet, now that winter approaches . We, jews from Central Europe call the same dish ( more or less) cholent. It sticks to the ribs and ... to the waist too.
We are heading now to celebrate our New Year ( five thousand something.. ) , but after that I'll post my grandma's recipe.

No more war , Happy New Year to all of us !
claudine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: my favourite cassoulet Reply with quote

My favourite southern french restaurant in Paris is Baracane on Rue de Tournelles in Marais - a tiny bistrot, a little difficult to find through the Marais maze - well worth it for the Cassoulet and Prune and Armanac ice-cream. There are menus at 28 and 38 euros.

I have never tried its more expensive restaurant, l'oulette, in place la Chambaudie in 12th and would love to hear from anyone who has...

http://www.l-oulette.com/baracane.html
TEVANS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: my favourite cassoulet Reply with quote

Hello
I just joined the forum although I have read it and know of it for some time since learning of the site from a Budget Travel Magazine article.
I changed my name to TEVANS from T.Elizabeth comments I have made on the 06th page.
I am going by myself to France this month. First on the 21st to Marseille then to Paris on the 27th. I am nervous because this is my first time traveling international alone. I have been reading books but am nervous because my travel partner backed out on me.
Is is safe in Paris for a women to go around alone?
I am staying near the Arc de Triomphe in a Au Regent's Garden Best Western. Anyone familar with area?
I would love so advice on where to go?
Thanks!
TEVANS
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tevans, I stayed for weeks, on business, in the area where you'll be a couple of years ago. It's extremely safe, and very lively. One restaurant that I would recommend highly is a bistrot located on a street that runs directly off the Champs Elysee, and is only a block or so away. It's called Maison Aubrac, at 37, rue Mareuf. On the same street, but on the other side, is Chez Andre, which has excellent seafood. Have fun!!
dessertdujour

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks for all of the great responses! I wish I had the time to visit them all, but I'll have to be just a little bit selective...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: