Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

a question for parents

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anna

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: a question for parents Reply with quote

hey folks... i realize that this isn't related to food, really, but i've come to really value your opinions so i thought i'd ask... i LOVE children and babies (and have three little sisters ages 13, 11 and 5 and about 20 cousins) and i have recently decided that i'm finally old enought to persue my dream of training as a doula, someone who coaches women in labor with encouragment, information, massage, strategy and advocacy. women who work with doula (especially young or first time moms) have much better outcomes (lower episiotomy and c-section, less need for epidural, and fewer complications and an overall more positive, prideful feeling about their birth experience) as do babies (higher apgar scores, lower fetal stress, and more rapid bonding with mama). i can't think of a process i'd be more honored to be a part of than birth, except maybe death...
the thing is, i don't have any kids of my own. i've never given birth. as parents, would you feel comfortable working with doula that has no kids of her own? thanks for the help!
love, anna
creampuff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were compassionate, had a good bedside manner, displayed a strong knowledge of your field and had experience, I wouldn't hesitate.
Both of the doctors who delivered my babies were men. I doubt it they had actually given birth themselves, but because of their training and personalities I trusted them completely.

Good luck
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna, you don't have to have had children to have the compassion and the desire to help women through one of the most special events of their lives. And it sounds like you already have plenty of both!

I worked for years as a midwife before I had my own child and never felt at a disadvantage because I hadn't experienced the birth process. In fact if anything, after having my own, I became a bit less sympathetic with some women who get stressed out if their babies don't sleep for 4 hours between feeds like the baby books say they should. Babies don't read those books and don't know they're meant to sleep longer than they invariably do.

I now work in that other area you mentioned - death and palliative care - and you are right, it is an enormous privilege to share that journey with a patient and their family.

Best of luck with this - I think you will make a wonderful doula.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anna- I had all three of my children at home with the help of midwives. The first trained specifically as a midwife when it was an underground tradition and I don't think she had any other medical training. The two who assisted at my second and third births were certified nurse-midwives. I wasn't interested in how many kids any of them had but in how many births they'd assisted at.

I am a great proponent of those wonderful women who make it possible to experience birth as a natural phenomenon in comfortable circumstances and not as a medical emergency. Unfortunately, here in the US, the medical community has made it harder and harder for midwives to practice. The two nurse-midwives who were highly respected by the doctors they practiced with hardly do any births at all anymore and, then, only for people they have worked with before.

I wish you great fortune in pursuing your goal. There will be many women blessed by your work and I know it will be exciting and humbling to get to see the miracle of birth so many times.
melinda

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anna.....I am a post-partum doula here in VA......and love every minute of it.......and I must say the hours r better than being a birth doula......good luck......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: