Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Weekend eating in Paris oct 15-16

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Weekend eating in Paris oct 15-16 Reply with quote

My husband is taking me to Paris for my 40th, havent been in years and was surprised to find many high end restaurants closed sat/sun. Made reservations for Taillevent on monday and Le Meurice for lunch on our last day...now I'm a little overwhelmed as to saturday and sunday....
Can someone coment on the following please??? and should I make reservations lunch or dinner ?

Les Papilles
Le Reminet
Les Bookinistes(Bouquinistes)
Pinxo
Willy's Bar
L'Ardoise
Les Vivres
La Cave de l'os a Moelle
Fish La Boissonnerie
and any recomendations for Vietnameese
thanx a lot from Puerto Rico
RebeccaL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Weekend Eating Oct 15-17 Reply with quote

Guy Savoy’s "other" restaurant, Les Bouquinistes, is much less expensive than his namesake restaurant, but is, if possible, an even more pleasurable dining experience. Reserve early and request a table overlooking the Seine, so you can stare at the people walking by as you chew your perfectly prepared Guy Savoy-inspired food and feel pity for the passersby not sharing in your experience. On a recent visit with my parents, we started with a “croustillant d’escargot” which featured roasted snails wrapped in a crispy phyllo-dough-like crust and served with a delicious accompanying sauce. I had the Daurade Royale served “à la plancha” with eggplant caviar and beefsteak tomatoes, my mother opted for the duckling filet served with the most delicious rice any of us had ever had, made with coconut milk and fresh coriander, and my father had the St. Pierre filet, a special that evening. And then came dessert. I don’t think three people have ever been so happy since John Ritter moved in with Suzanne Somers and Joyce Dewitt in 1977. I had a – I hope you’re sitting down – fig millefeuille (aka a “napoleon” in anglospeak) served with an almond cream gelato and toasted almonds, my father ordered the cheese plate filled with a variety of fromage français all of which were delicious and my mother chose the crème brûlée served in three separate pots, each with a different aromatic flavor. Though not cheap, Les Bouquinistes is certainly a special experience and I challenge Guy Savoy to serve me a better meal in his namesake restaurant. (Really, Guy, I’m free on Saturday.)

Another suggestion not on your list is L'Obélisque. Though the famous Les Ambassadeurs is always on top of the list of Paris’ best restaurants, le Crillon’s “other” restaurant, l’Obélisque, offers a more casual yet equally special atmosphere right down the corridor. The service at l’Obélisque was perhaps the best I’ve ever had, unpretentiously welcoming yet appropriately removed, and the meal was memorable to say the least. For only 50 euros (Only? You ask, horrified, but, welcome to Paris, ladies and gentlemen), diners receive three copious plates of palate-enhancing cuisine. The menu is advertised as being traditionally French, yet it is surprisingly very creative as well and is under the direction of Les Ambassadeurs chef Jean-François Piège who recently left La Plaza Athénée to engage Hotel Crillon diners in his culinary delights. On a recent visit (again, with my parents, did I not mention that I make 30% of the French minimum wage per month for my internship?), I started with the mussels served in a delicious tomato broth, then moved onto the cod served in a red wine sauce with asparagus. For the record, we had dined at L’Angle du Faubourg, Taillevent’s “sister bistro” the night before, and the cod that I ate at L’Obélisque could have eaten the cod I was served at L’Angle Faubourg for breakfast. And still had room for the gastronomically life-altering slice of pastry-otic heaven that fell from the heavens and onto my dessert plate: the Obélisque millefeuille. As you may have noticed, the millefeuille is ubiquitous on Parisian menus this season and I have taken it upon myself to taste as many as possibly. After a tight race (I’ll give the prize for most unique millefeuille to Les Bouquinistes, congratulations Guy), I congratulate the fierce competitors, but must give the Prize for the Best Millefeuille I’ve Ever Had to l’Obélisque. If another famous chef or establishment would like to challenge this decision, again, my mind is open. (and, again, free Saturday).
One more suggestion (although I have thousands =): Le Timbre. Le Timbre is aptly named because it really is no bigger than a
postage stamp, fits about 15 people total. It's run by british
chef Christopher Wright, but the food is traditionally French.
You feel like you're in the chef's personal kitchen- you can
see him cooking everything in front of you and you only get a
few choices and it's a prix-fixe menu, but it's traditional
French food, delicious and a true Parisian experience. And
only 30 euros for a three course meal plus glass of wine on the
house! A real French experience!
Alisa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After three years of living in Paris, and oh so close to La Cave de l'os a Moelle, and never being able to get in, and really wanting to, I finally got in a few weeks ago. (I had dinner at the restaurant across the street a few years ago, and it was good. Not great.) What a let down. The food and the "local color" at La Cave, the evening I went was really disappointing, with a few dishes being really awful.

American in Paris say "go somewhere else" for your cave au vin experience.
creampuff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L'Ardoise was a favorite of mine from a visit last May.
I've posted info in previous forums about it, most recently in the forum topic in Paris & France about cassoluet and price fixe restaurants.
David

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RebeccaL---you should be writing for magazines!! Fabulous!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: