Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Beets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Beets Reply with quote

As a city-girl, I always buy my beets boiled and skinned. Now the citygirl was in the country for a few days Smile and bought beets. Real beets.
So...how to prepare them?? I kinda'remember something about roasting them??

All suggestions are more than welcome Smile
swan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS. I think I remember that from somewhere in this forum, but can't find where. Sorry if I bring things op that were mentioned before, in that case: where can I find it ?! Rolling Eyes
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really delicious if you do it right, but roasted beets taste terrible if you don't do it right. We were at a benefit for organic farmers this summer, and at one station, they were serving roasted beets that were fantastic. The secret, as they explained it to me, was to roast the beets for 45 minutes at 350 degrees on a sheet in the oven with a little olive oil and seasonings to taste. Higher temperatures are bad for the beets, and undercooking leaves them too tough. Perfectly roasted beets are one of my all-time favorites, but I have to admit that I've mostly relied on restaurants to get them right.
Deste

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See page two of "Eat Your Vegetables" under this forum heading.

P.S. Another way to roast is suggested by Marcella Hazan: after scrubbing beet[root]s, wrap them together in alum. foil and place them on a baking sheet in 400 degree F oven. She says for two hours, but if you've got fresh ones, then the time given for olive oil coated ones is better: 45 minutes to an hour depending on size. (Check by sticking a sharp blade into the largest. It should insert easily but not be too too soft.) If you allow them to cool a bit while still in the foil, the steam helps to loosen skins and makes them easier to peel.

Hazan recommends separating greens from stems, reserving latter if you've a lot for sauteeing or even coating in bread crumbs etc. should you wish.

Boil big pot of water, salt it, and then plunge in the greens, for 5-10 mins. Drain. S & P. Lemon juice. Olive oil. Then put diced roasted beets on top for a simple salad.

P.P.S. You're lucky in Europe to have prepped beets in supermarkets. Here in US, I have yet to see them offered that way unless you go to the fancy store and purchase a fully dressed salad.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to roast them with olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper at 425 until they are fork tender.
They are also good sliced ultra thin lightly steamed, cooled, topped with fresh greens, blood oranges and a light vinagrette.

"It's hot ham water."
bluedog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While roasting is oh so delicious, I find it easier to steam them, and it takes less time. Stick them in a pot atop a steamer and a couple inches of H2O for 20 min, depends on the size of the beet. (if you can get a fork through the center, they're done). For the lareger ones, you can cut in half. The skins will just slip off afterward. (Keep an eye on the h20 level, i have ruined a pot on this!)

My favorite way to serve this (aside from S&P and butter for a treat) is on a salad of baby greens, goat cheese and toasted nuts. A light vinegarette from lemon or sherry vinegar is a great complement. Note: do not toss in the goat cheese, or the entire salad becomes pink slime. Toss all other ingredients and top with crumbled goat cheese. Yummy!

PS - as already said, don't toss out those greens - fabulous sauteed!
birgit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some time ago I've made soup out of a big bunch of beet leaves, mhmm ... Unfortunately I didn't record the recipe, but as far as I remember it wasn't too complicated, I'd say just some onions and garlic, fried in a little butter until soft, SP, a veggie cube and water, a finely diced potatoe, and, in the end, some créme fraîche or cream double. the slightly acidic leaves added enough spice so I omitted any lemon I'd normally put into this kind of veggie-cream-soup. The only thing I shouldn't have done is the final putting all into the blender -- the color was a little distracting, although not really surprising, considering color theory .... Wink
varnadore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I steam beets, peel and slice them, then sprinkle with a little sugar and a spoonfull of balsamic vinegar. maybe like a teaspoon of sugar and a tablespoon of vinagar to 4 beets the size of eggs. When they are cooled I use the vinegar/beet juice with olive oil to dress the beet greens, with the sliced beets on top.
swan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, once again you prove yourselves great help! In my house it's beetnight tonight!! As it's only 10 AM now, I can think about my options all day...THANK YOU!
stina74

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetroots are really fantastic just steamed and served with a little butter or feta cheese but I have two other suggestions:

grate them (maybe two) raw and mix with minced meat (approx. 400 grams, chopped onion (1) and eggs (1-2). Make small beefs, fry them and serve (4 people) with other veggies, potatoes and a cold sauce of creme fraiche, yougurt or something like that. I always chop up some parsley and mix into the sauce. Mince beefs with beetroots is one of my mother´s specialties. You can make them vegetarian too if you switch the mince for some boiled potatoes, mashed togeheter with the other ingredients

Borstj! Russian beetroot soup. I made it just a couple of days ago. Six beetroots cut in matchstick shape, 200 grams of cabbage, very finely sliced (preferably with a swedish osthyvel (cheese slicer) if you have one in your possession), a chopped onion, a carrot in slices and 2-3 potatoes in slices. Fry the onion for a little while in a big pot, then add 1.5 litres of hot stock (I often use meat stock) and then all the other vegetables. Salt and pepper and a bay leaf, let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes and serve with the cold sauce above, parsley (again) and some nice bread. The soup is very good served cold in the summer as well. You don´t have to eat it all at once (this recipe serves at least six people), the soup just gets better till the next day and you can even put it in the freezer.

Kristina
the beetroot lover
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite way with roasted beets is to cut them into wedges after skinning & toss with a little butter, balsamic vinegar & English (seville) orange marmalade. Serve warm on a bed of mesclun dressed with olive oil & balsamic vinegar. I think this may be on the weekend menu now that turning on the oven doesn't make the kitchen into Dante's deepest level of hell.
mahnparis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I just posted about beets! Looks like they are popular!
Dawna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love beets! Roasted beets can be made into a wonderful "pink potato salad" with potatoes and onions and a vinaigrette dressing - hot or cold (and bacon-y, if that floats your boat). I wrap my washed, unpeeled beets in foil with a pinch of salt and a splash of olive oil, and roast for about an hour at 375 F. The skins slip right off.
Bekbeka

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetroot is one of my favourite vegetables - last winter I ate a lot of it raw in salads. Just grated with often a citrusy dressing, and lightly toasted nuts to balance it out (pine or cashews are good), and sometimes with grated carrot or apple, or whatever else appealed. But roasted and boiled too - it`s all good!
Dawna

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The house salad at a little Indian restaurant near my place is this: Romaine (cos) lettuce, long spaghetti-like strands of raw beet, and a mango dressing. It is delicious!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: