Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The sound of music
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: The sound of music Reply with quote

Today I went through my cd collection to see if there were any I could get rid of, and instead I ended up listening and singing along with many a tune I have not listened to in a while. Now with music on the brain I am wondering what all of you enjoy and what would you recommend?

My desert island cd's are:

Anything by Stevie Wonder
R.E.M. - Life's Rich Pagent
Yo Yo Ma- Bach's Suites for the solo cello
Anything by The Kinks
Rancid- Out Come the Wolves
U2- Rattle and Hum
Bizet- Carmen

P.S. The reason the subject line says what it does, is becuase I love that movie. My mom, sister and I drink wine and belt out the tunes horribly amid gales of laughter. Maybe I should add it to my list, it would keep me occupied on the island.

"It's hot ham water."
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin Darling...a tad busy today...so will spend some time thinking of the list...however:

THE SOUND OF MUSIC! Impossible to not hear the music even while reading those four words..

a quick note...how well I remember a few years back going to the State Theatre in Sydney....a gorgeous old building....a screening of THE film plus fun and games....the audience was expected to sing...and those who knew the whole screenplay ...well they were ready for their favourite lines...PLUS it was dress up time....the theme being THE film....oh my goodness what a night....yep...plenty in frocks made from curtain material...it was a hoot....all those who dressed up made their way onto the stage....moi? I was a brown paper package tied up with string....rather an odd and quirky feeling walking from the carpark to the theatre wrapped in brown paper and string...

The energy in that theatre that night could have sent us all to the moon and back...how often I've done that by the way...thing is to remember how to get there and to remember there is a time to return from moontimes... Smile

I've a friend who really doesn't get musicals...she says noone just bursts into song in real life.....oh Marie, but we do!

great topic Erin....ok...even though I must go....one for the list...Glenn Cardier (a phone call from a friend suggesting Scrabble and wine...sounds fine to me...looks like the 'busy day' has become flexible enough for word games... Wink ) ....my father and I play quite often..

Erin I'm going to enjoy compiling the list...

Missy Higgins ~ Ten Days....oh Joan...just click enter will you!

hugs to the music of the spheres before I forget..and to you Erin DARLIN'...big laughter-coated hugs for fun
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin- I'm not a big music person. I listen to talk radio and when I want sounds I actually go for the babbling brook, chorus of wild birds or crocking frogs.

However, I do love some movie soundtrack albums. I'd choose Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?, Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, Love Actually, some Irish thing or other and mabbee something Bluegrass.
Barbara

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame they dress up for The Sound of Music here too. Rather funny to see a crowd of nuns with moustaches heading to the theatre.
Erin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame and Barbara, My mother and some friends went to an interactive screening of The Sound of Music dressed as nuns. Afterward they went out for drinks, imagine the looks they must have gotten!

Phil and I are staying at the Von Trapp Inn this winter. The hills of Vermont are alive with the Sound of Music.

Rainey, I am opening up the topic and including all types of sounds and radio personalities. I love NPR and listen to "What Do You Know", "Talk of the Nation", "Science Friday", BBC news, and my favorite, "Car Talk". I am not remotely interested in cars, but those surly so and so's crack me up. Last December during the fund rasier they read their own version of "A Christmas Carol", and were the Scroogerelli Brothers. We were on the hunt for a tree and when we got to our destination actually sat in the car listening, (laughing).
I love the soundtrack to "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" and it is in my collection. If you enjoy Irish sounding music if you haven't already, give The Waterboys a try I enjoy them a lot. My favorite is Irish style punk like The Dropkick Murphy's and Flogging Molly. I don't really think it is all that punk, but more pub music with an edge.

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to just think soundtrack albums were just a way of padding the over-hyped conventional stuff. But then some wonderful ones left me thinking the music long after the visuals had faded.

The one that really knocked me off my feet was the soundtrack to Northern Exposures. I thought that music did as much to tell those fabulous stories as any of the writing did. My b-i-l tells me that the episodes now released on DVDs do not carry the original music for some odd reason. It must be a horrible shadow of itself without. Can't imagine why they couldn't work out the contractual stuff and suspect there must be some unhappy customers.

And, Erin, I also listen to Click and Clack and laugh myself silly sometimes even though there's nothing about a car that would interest me beyond getting from Point A to Point B. I started listening because, here, they're the lead-in to Garrison Keillor on the weekend. Do you ever listen to This American Life? I don't find it so often in my area anymore but they did some wonderful segments that left my sides aching and then others that were equally sad. But they were always interesting, provocative and moving.
Sarape

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey wrote:
Do you ever listen to This American Life?

Some weeks it is the most boring, stupid hour on radio and other weeks it is riviting. The week I heard on the New-Orleans Katrina hurricane was wonderful.
David

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love talk radio as well and have been having a years long affair with CBC, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation---interesting, innovative, topical. We suffered an 8 week lockout and the nation seemingly went into a depression. (okay not everyone is a fan of CBC but my crowd is).
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, I'm with you. Two thumbs up for CBC and their listening public who contribute so much that's literate, witty, philosophical, earthy, pragmatic and wise to it.
Erin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, I do listen to "This American Life" every once in a while and really enjoy it. Here Click and Clack are a lead in to either "What do you Know" or "Wait, Wait Don't Tell me".
I have never heard the N.E. soundtrack but was a religious watcher of the show due to my crush on John Corbett. The show was filmed in WA, and he owned a club in Seattle. Once my mom and I were walking down pike Street and I saw him sitting up against a building listening to street musicians. I was twelve and I swear I almost fainted. At that time my friends were into The New Kids on the Block, I liked Corbett and Larry Mullen jr. I never really have followed the pack.

David, When I lived in Seattle I got CBC tv and radio and there was a time right before we moved that I was completely hooked. We also had the BBC on tv and radio, I went through withdrawls when we moved.

My husband and I are headed out to Southampton tomorrow to check out a music store. I will report on my new aquisitions.

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that there's a soundtrack to Northern Exposures as in a CD or something. I just meant the music background to each episode. I can still here certain indigenous music they used when I close my eyes and think about it. So evocative and haunting!

OTOH, my husband, who has very eclectic tastes and is ever so much more enamored of music than I am, has that CD of Bjorn and the Inuit chanting. I have to ask myself why a reasonable person would inflict that on themselves. It sounds like someone recorded the sounds of root canal... Shocked OK. I'm slinking off to be a conventional tight-ass in my corner again...
varnadore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarape- That ending segment of that episode of This American Life; the High school football game had me with tears in my eyes. I sent a link to my e-mail list to try and get them to listen to that episode.
Erin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey,
I checked at Amazon and they do have one, but it is not what you are describing.

"It's hot ham water."
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: This American Life Reply with quote

I agree with Sarape; sometimes This American Life can be pure genious and other times, just plain boring. One of the most memorable shows was devoted to one story "The House on Loon Lake" --- a real life spooky story about a bunch of kids who find an abandoned house filled with stuff, as if the family that lived in it just disappeared. Of course, anything with David Sedaris or Sarah Vowell is an absolute hit with me. He did a funny story about being mistaken for a French guy on the metro in Paris. The tourist from Florida who mistook him for a Frenchman said out loud to his wife "Peeyu! This little froggie needs a bath!"

http://onegirlonehouse.wordpress.com
Erin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Sarah Vowell and David Sedaris! They are two of my top five favorite authors.

Does anyone here listen to Motown, Funk, old school R&B or any related genres? I love those types and am trying to broaden my knowledge not to mention library. I already have Stevie Wonder, Curtis Mayfield, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Al Green and Marvin Gaye and I am mmost interested in their work through the sixties and seventies. Can anyone recommend and artist or album?

"It's hot ham water."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: