Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

New Yorker Article on Phyllis Schlafly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarape

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: New Yorker Article on Phyllis Schlafly Reply with quote

http://www.newyorker.com/critics/books/articles/051107crbo_books

I think the many women here will find this article amusing and informative. I didn't know she had played such a prominent role in the ERA and in the Conservative side of politics. Although I differ with her in my political views, I admire her tenacity.
Deste

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

Sarape: I have a feeling you were not a young girl just developing a political consciousness and wishing to do something interesting in her life in age when she could walk past Yale on her way to school, but not apply to one of its colleges. At that time, Schlafly was hypocritically making her mark by asking other women not to be as ambitious as she was. Nor were you a twenty-two year old gay man coming to terms with his sexuality way back when South Beach was not South Beach and the image of Phyllis, glass of orange juice in hand, made you swear off Vitamin C forever. Careful, please. There is little to admire about this woman's tenacity despite later reports of a change of mind on certain of her causes. She did major damage in her heyday.
Sarape

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess this touched a nerve.

Didn't say I agree with her. I understand your view.

I read the article in the abstract not considering her negative influence.

I will stick to burning food.
Deste

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're more than welcome to burn a few other things as well! Wink

Thanks for bringing the article to our attention, though. I intend to read it once I leaf through the pages for all the cartoons.
jenjen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: point me in the right direction Reply with quote

I was involved in feminist politics here in the late 60's and 70's but I don't remember much about this woman. As an Aussie, it is interesting to read your thoughts and comments - I would certainly like to learn more if you can point me in any credible directions.

Rolling Eyes
Deste

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to apologize for the outburst of emoticons last night; I should mention that I was up until 3:30 am writing and changing the ink jet cartridge on my printer. Sleep deprivation brings out the royal crankies in me.

However, I should note that I had only recently exchanged knee for ankle socks when I went door to door collecting signatures for the Equal Rights Amendment to the U.S. Constitution and Shlafly rose to public recognition in her campaign to stymy its passage.

Therefore, my memory isn't as it could have been were I a bit older. For instance, it occurred to me this morning that I conflated Ms. [so there!] Shlafly with Anita Bryant. The latter was an ex-Beauty Queen and spokesperson for Florida orange juice who also spoke out against Gay Rights. Shlafly is known primarily for her venomous attacks against feminism.

Open the link Sarape provides since the book review in the New Yorker is unusually long and quite informative. It responds to the thesis that Shlafly was instrumental in bringing together the disparate forces of New Conservatism that have been with us in this country far too long with no clear end in sight.

However, I think there are probably better forums on the internet for these sorts of issues than C & Z. I am sure you would find out a great deal through a google search.
Bill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of prolonging this non C&Z related discussion (while Clotilde is away we can play can't we!), I want to put in a plug for the New Yorker to anyone who doesn't see it regularly.
From this damp corner of Ireland, the (almost) weekly arrival of the NY through my letter-box is my reminder that there is so much more to the US than you might imagine from either politicians or international media organisations (who tend to give a very depressing view). I love the breadth of topics, the beautiful presentation and above all the fantastic use of language. Subscribe and have your eyes opened! (I don't work for any related organisation!)
Sarape

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill for saying something nice about the United States. Those weekly covers for The New Yorker are nearly worth a subscription alone.

There's also an excellent article in this week's edition about the Judith Miller, Libby, Wilson, Novak, Iraq-War nuclear-weapons story. That article explains the whole thing and makes it clear who's at fault. I am sure someone is going to make a movie out of this story. So much interesting information.

Clotilde set off this forum for these types of threads, so no problem playing with or without her.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me start off by saying I am about to vent ,and am in no way attacking Sarape. I had never heard of this woman, and I won't kill the messenger.

AAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! WOMEN LIKE THAT MAKE ME WANT TO SCREAM!! As a woman of a younger generation than most on this forum I have taken for granted the rights fought for by other generations. Now as the climate in this country is shifting to keep me barefoot and pregnant, I am actually afraid for my rights as an woman not as an American.
My brother and dad taught me that I am equal in mind and matter and their methods were interesting. My father always helped me to know I could do anything. My brother on the other hand was like Kato,(I think that was his name), from "The Pink Panther" movies always jumping out at me from behind corners or leaping out of closets yelling at me to defend myself. I could throw a 6'2" 175lb teenager over my shoulder at 5'3" 115lbs. I am not saying that violence is the path to equality, but they wanted me to know that while some may think girls are helpless we really aren't.
I don't care what side you are on Repub, Democrat or Green Party, we women need to have pride in ourselves and our abilities! If our husbands or boyfriends come home to us wrapped in cellophane it should be because we want to, not because some stupid book said it was what a good wife should do.
I was at a BBQ when we first moved in to the neighborhood and was told the women were in the kitchen, by the host. When I stayed with my husband he said it again. I thought I had moved into Stepford.
Also I may be a woman but that does not mean I have to start having babies! FREAKOUT complete.
Sorry if I got a tad crazy there, I feel very passionate in case you were wondering. I hope my randomness doesn't freak anyone out.

"It's hot ham water."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: