Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

KIDS DON'T WANT CAVIAR????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: KIDS DON'T WANT CAVIAR???? Reply with quote

I have invited my neighbors to dinner in two weeks, no problem right? WRONG! They have a daughter, (who happens to be the most adorable child I have ever seen), and I have no idea what to feed her. I want to make it fun for her, but how? Do I just make her grilled cheese and cut out animal shapes? What ideas do you all have? She is from Guam and is used to food with a Philipino influence, do you think I should go that route? I also want to make her place setting really fun, any ideas?

If you are a parent or a really good babysitter, I need you!

"It's hot ham water."
monkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

two words - napkin bunnies!

follow the directions for washcloth bunnies at http://www.himonkey.net/holiday/e/wcb/index.html and be sure to make a couple extra!

nothing brings primates together like a good snack!
www.TheresAMonkeyInTheKitchenAndHesGotAKnife.com
simona

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erin,
How old is she?
No, kids don't like caviar.....unless they are part of a pizza, hamburger, spagetti with a lot of ketchup or chocolate cake and icecream.

Good luck
Simona
Erin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Napkin bunnies! Thanks Monkey!

simona, she is four almost five. I want to make it really fun for her so she isn't bored having dinner with a bunch of adults. I am not a kid person, but I am a total sucker for this little girl. She had a fund raiser at school a month ago, selling frankly a bunch of junk, but I was her best customer. Her parents are really doing a wonderful job with her.

"It's hot ham water."
simona

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi erin,
I would ask the mother what are her likes and dislikes.
I do have some grandchildren and at that age, even the most cute, are not really great gastronomic adventurers.
But... maybe she's a caviar kid?

Good Luck, Simona
stina74

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: KIDS DON'T WANT CAVIAR???? Reply with quote

It is always hard with children and food but I think you can give her the same food as the adults, as long as it is not too extreme. If you want a more "grown up" taste (if you like it very spicy hot, or use ingredients like capers, olives and other things that some children don´t like) for the adults you can make two different sauces or two different salads for example.

Other tips:
let her have a real wine glass on foot if she is not too small, that´s usually really popular!
lay the table with a smaller paper cloth at her place and give her lots of fun pencils to draw with on the cloth (the paper one!)
make mini sandwiches, mini pies etc. because everything tiny is fun
make things she can eat with her fingers, like vegetables with dip sauces, skewers with cherry tomatoes, cucumber, sausage for example or maybe small bites on toothpicks
let her help you decorating the cake, if you are having cake

Good luck with your little guest!
Kristina
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin...what a darling you are...

maybe you could ask sweet one if she'd like to bring something to put on the table..as in decoration....to bring back home...she might enjoy that...maybe a small toy...or doll or whatever....if it's to be a dinner that will be late...maybe she could bring a bag of home goodies...she might get tired and if she has the books etc she could lay down with a big cushion....

you could slip a note under their door ...letting her know how excited you are that she will be at table with you....

what a fortunate little gal...to live near you Erin!

am sure it will be a truly wondrous time...

hugs from Oz to you all..
Erin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great suggestions all! You have really got my mind going.

I love the mini idea, I am thinking an assortment of tiny sandwiches might go over well. The decor and activity ideas are really helpful, she is a very easy to please little girl and I think they will go over well.

Thanks for your help, kids are a total mystery to me. Does anyone have a dessert idea?

"It's hot ham water."
varnadore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the Martinelli's Cidar for the wine glass! Maybe a little gift bag with some games, a riddle book, puzzles...some dime store things to keep her busy. You could ask her parents about a video she could watch after she has spent sometime being social at the dinner table with the "grown ups". That might be a special treat for her and will give adults a little more time to socialize.
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god! As a ex pre-school teacher I desperately want to go on and on with early childhood theory and the glories of Reggio Emilia....

Bottom line, she'll enjoy a child-sized item or two (perhaps an apron?) but she'll also enjoy being treated to an evening of good food, conversation that includes her and the same things you enjoy like candlelight.

Invite her to notice the aromas and colors. She may notice things you don't! Offer her choices. If it fits your menu and plan, you might present things more or less like a tasting menu: one thing at a time; if she doesn't care for one thing, something else is coming along. But keep in mind the longer dinner takes the more your little friend may need a break or two (mom will know best when that time comes).

But I know you're excited by having a child guest and want this to be fun and a success. Consider what she might cook. Can you have some simple sugar cookie dough ready and let her mold or cut a few of the cookies to bake and serve as dessert or along with dessert while you have dinner? Can she stand on a chair and stir the soup? Can she cut up some medium-soft cheese (like a cheddar) with a butter knife to serve adults herself (be sure everyone tries some!)? Or could she spread something like a paté? Are you working from a cookbook with great photos she'll enjoy seeing to make dinner something to anticipate? She'll have a great tactile, tangible time (the important business 4yos need to address) and it will help her feel part of this lovely event.

If she can take some cookie dough and mabbee a cheap cookie cutter home with her, it will be utterly memorable and she won't be able to wait to come back. Wink
creampuff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is so sweet of you to be concerned about all your guests' comforts.
You have great ideas from everyone else as to entertainment, food and table ideas.

If you have the time, try getting on the floor and playing what she wants to, how she wants to. Let her set the pace and follow her lead.

Have fun.

ps - Don't be offended or worried if she just eats a piece of bread and calls it a meal, she won't starve and she'll learn to like more foods as she grows up.
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, it sounds like this little girl will have a fabulous time! The only suggestions I have are these: Most children her age like foods that look familiar. I also found out (from horrible experience, although I wasn't the cook) that small children are very skeptical and picky about foods that combine several different ingredients. The culprit in that instance was a casserole of rice, lentils, onion & tomato. All 14 preschoolers sent up a collective 'ewww!', but I think all of them would have been happy with a bowl of rice and some lentils on the side.
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin I'd have a piece of florist's block in a container and some different flowers, decorations, mybe a couple of tall candles ready and ask her to do the centre piece for the table. This will keep her occupied while you have pre dinner drinks.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara..what a darling idea! the flicker of candle any time is exciting..
stina74

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of aprons, when I was little we went to visit my grandfather´s sister. She let us draw a painting each with special pencils on a plain white apron, like in a guestbook, and I remember it was so fun to do that, and to come next time when she was proudly wearing the apron full of all visiting children´s paintings. I will never forget it, and I will do it myself some time with little guests!

Kristina
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: