Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Which cookbook do you use the most?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zuzanna

The SMH had a good write-up on the new Cooks Companion last week. In case you didn't see it ...

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/09/28/1096137206675.html

Judy
Jennifer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Favorite cookbooks Reply with quote

My husband Derek is the one with the predilection for collecting cookbooks. As for myself, there are two that see usage well above all the others.

First, the most obvious of the list is the oft-mentioned The Joy of Cooking. I firmly believe that no kitchen is complete without it, and it's a favorite newlywed gift for me.

Second is The Best Recipe, which is published by the wonderful folks at Cook's Illustrated. As in the magazine, the editors tried out numerous versions of a given recipe before settling on the one that worked best. But the thing I love about it is that they explain the science behind the cooking -- why tapioca works better than starch for a pie thickener, for example -- and that is deeply appealing to my inner geek. Also? Their recipe for soft-batch chocolate chip cookies is really and truly the best ever.

We have a lot of great specialty cookbooks which all serve their occasional purpose, but these two are the ones with the flour-y fingerprints and water-warped pages, which should tell you something.
Zuzanna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy wrote:

For quick meals with not too many ingredients, I use Donna Hay's cookbooks and magazines, and Delicious magazines. Both have websites and Donna Hay gives a few recipes from the current issue. Not sure about Delicious, but it gives info about what's in the current month's mag.
http://www.donnahay.com.au/
http://www.deliciousmagazine.com.au/

Hey Judy,

Wow! I just bought the current Donna Hay magazine and it's great! Simple (not too many ingredients), tasty-looking recipes and a very clean format magazine, I'm very impressed!

Oh, and this month's magazine has a small article about chocolate, and one about zucchini! I had to laugh. Very Happy

Thanks for the link to the SMH article by the way - that's where I heard about Stephanie's huge second volume.
Judy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, Zuzanna. I think it was Donna Hay who started the trend of photographing food on white plates with a white background, so that the food was the main focus of the photos, not the china or the backgrounds.

She has a new book coming out in the middle of this month - The Instant Cook. It's on my Christmas list already even though I haven't seen it yet. Dymocks will sell it for $35 compared to the $45rrp.

Stephanie's new book is beautiful and I'm trying very hard to resist the urge to buy it. Angus & Robertson have it selling for $90, which is quite a saving on the $125 price tag elsewhere.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: a soon-to-be favourite! Reply with quote

"Falling Cloudberries"...by Tessa Kiros ~ the cover alone is exquisite beyond words, photographs lusciously throughout, and recipes I can't wait to discover. Over the years I've collected what appears to be countless cookbooks...a serious passion! In the '70s, Margaret Fulton was responsible for introducing many Australians to a wider range of foods than the traditional Mother England fare ~ meat and 3 vegs as it was called. I have an original edition that I was lucky enough to have signed by Margaret a few years back...she wrote "Yours in gastronomy, Margaret Fulton"

I also treasure old cookbooks...the stains on the pages speak of kitchens of the past, flavours of the past, cooks of the past.

oh, and ANYTHING by MFK Fisher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I realise her books aren't technically cookbooks..however her prose melts my heart! such such such a soul..

cheers all!
LibbyR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm another Aussie, but I live in Paris at the moment. My favourite cookbook is also Stephanie Alexander's big orange book, "The Cook's Companion." I consult it all the time, the recipes always work, and her new updated version is the only thing on my Christmas list this year. We are leaving Paris at Christmas time, (sadly) and I plan to leave my current copy to my best friend here as a parting gift.
natalie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Another Stephanie Alexander fan! Reply with quote

Yet another Aussie (living in the USA) who also adores Stephanie Alexander's The Cook's Companion (and Donna Hay!). There's nothing I've tried that hasn't worked beautifully; there's very little I've needed that isn't in there; and it's my first reference for hints on how to do little things (like get caramelised onions to that beautiful colour and texture...)

I grew up using my mother's two big Margaret Fulton books (see madameshawshank's comment), so it was tough to find a book that lived up to my expectations!!!

I also love David Thompson's Thai Food (it's big and bright pink -- goes beautifully with the bright yellow of The Cook's Companion). I cook Thai a lot, and this book has a history on the food and culture of Thailand. Wonderful!!

I'd love to get a big bible of deserts...any recommendations??
natalie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, Shocked I mean bible of desserts.
Judy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, ha Natalie. I could send you to photos of our trips to the Simpson and Tanami deserts in Australia, but the website's down.

Back to the topic, I'm not a great dessert cook, but Donna Hay's Modern Classics 2 has lots of delicious desserts, cakes, pies etc etc in it. Nothing too over the top or time consuming. I have very high regard for dessert cooks - I think I lack the patience to spend heaps of time cooking things that people are just going to EAT!!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Natalie and the dessert Bible quest Reply with quote

Natailie ~ you name it and it appears...there IS a book named "The Dessert Bible" ` I went a searchin' dessert books on amazon and came across it...you might like to check out the reviews..that's a sort of hobby of mine...I love the differences..one will 5 stars give, and another 1! the diversity of life!

To read of you and your mother's Margaret Fulton books made me realise I'm not a spring chicken any more!!!!!!! I might feel like one, however the birthday tells me otherwise! Margaret introduced me to meat on skewers....

let's raise our glasses to all those who add a richness to our lfood lives
Joni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a tough question. I try to use most of my cookbooks -- all 150+ of them. I guess my favorites would be The New Basics Cookbook by Sheila Lukins and Julee Rosso; Bistro Cooking by Patricia Wells; Perfect Vegetables by Cooks Illustrated; and Michael Chiarello's Casual Cooking by Michael Chiarello.
LibbyR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a great book on cakes and desserts and baking, I love Nigella Lawson's "How to be a Domestic Goddess." I mean, I would buy it for the title alone (although happily my DH says I don't need a book to tell me how to be a DG). There are luscious cake recipes (including a wonderful damp lemon and almond cake, and a chocolate hazelnut cake that contains a whole jar of Nutella), as well as dessert and pudding ideas, a section on children, on Christmas, and on chocolate of course.
mary g

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone bought or tried recipes from the new Gourmet book book, edited by Ruth Reichl?
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mary g ~ while browsing amazon I thought I'd check out the book and see its ratings..a few one stars because of the yellow typeface. seems the recipes are soooooooooooooo hard to read Sad

"falling cloudberries" is by my bedside table ~ how I'm drinking it all in!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite resource has to be Larousse Gastronomique, it is my bible. I studied french cuisine because I felt it was the best foundation for cooking. Larousse is a continuation of that study. If I am trying to develop something new and I am stumped, always without fail this book shows me some way to do it perfectly. If you don't have it you need to drop it all and buy this book!

Other books I love are, Savoring the Spice Coast of India, by Maya Kaimal, 1001 Vegatarian Recipes, by Sue Spitler, and last but not least The French Laundry Kitchen, by the amazing Thomas Keller.

"It's hot ham water."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: