Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Which cookbook do you use the most?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love cookbooks. I own a bookstore and when new catalogues come in I usually end up ordering new cookbooks for myself. I read them like a novel, I may not even make any of the recipes but I'll still enjoy my time spent with them. And unlike a novel I can go back and read them over and over. Eventually ideas do trickle into my thick skull though and I find my free hand cooking is influenced more and more by my reading. But of the 2 bookcases of cookbooks that I own I probably use Joy of Cooking more often than any. Provence the Beautiful is also a mainstay and I thoroughly enjoy reading and using the Barefoot Contessa (Ina Garten) books.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Ina Garten! Reply with quote

David,

I forgot to put Ina Garten on mine! I was so sad when a month before I moved to the Hamptons I found out she closed her shop in Easthampton. Her recipes are always a hit, I am dying to work for her.

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Erin, that would be soooooooo cool, working with the Contessa! Didn't realize she had closed the shop. I love the simplicity of a lot of her recipes, really fresh and easy and breezy.
Erin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She closed her shop last fall I think, much to the devastation of the locals. I was sad about it because I was dreaming of buying baked goods from her store before I moved here. I love her emphasis on making a relaxed, festive atmosphere for her friends. My favortie never fail recipe of hers would have to be the banana crunch muffins.

"It's hot ham water."
Madeleine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I use most often is Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian, though I have not been a vegetarian for several years now. It's very helpful for basic information––how to store and cook obscure grains, fruits, and vegetables, and of course all the familiar ones––and I've never been disappointed with any recipe I've cooked from it. I keep meaning to try more of them––it's a giant book––but the two I make most often are chickpea-flour pancakes and stir-fried corn with ginger. SO good! But if you asked me what my favorite cookbook in my collection is, I'd have to say it's my vintage 1969 copy of Helen Gurley Brown's Single Girl's Cookbook –– it's very chatty and filled with adorable illustrations of girls with big eyelashes. Sample recipes: "Poor Pitiful Ragout" (you're supposed to serve this to your landlord), "Chile Con Carne from a Blonde." There are also 5 (!) chapters on "food for the affair," which are meant to get you through the various stages of a relationship, plus several breakfast dishes to cook for "overnight guests." There is also a tip concerning what to do with a sloppy-drunk party guest who insists on having another drink: serve them a glass of whiskey that you have oh-so-cleverly boiled (to remove the alcohol) ahead of time and poured back into a marked bottle!
Erin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could I have forgotten about Madhur Jaffrey, she has an amazing pumpkin curry. I learned a lot about spices and their properties by reading her books. Great choice.

"It's hot ham water."
wasabi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Which cookbook do you use the most? Reply with quote

there are a few books i consistently rely on, depending on a cuisine type...

overall i am a great fan of Nigel Slater's Appetite (perhaps my favorite cookbook) and his Real Fast Food collection. the latter is suited for weeknight sort of things and the first is simply a great read.

cooking at home with julia and jacques is simple to use and to the point with great food.

and the grand dames -- claudia roden (the new book of middle eastern food) and marcella hazan (essentials of italian cooking)

and madameshawsank, you are not alone in your love for MFK Fisher's prose and recipes/approximations. some recent joys, her colonial pudding (to be served with champagne after a luxurious meal), figs soaked in kirsch and served with unsweetened whipped cream, slightly dried out tangering sections, and oyster stew.
suki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone.
got to agree with the Larousse, it even has recipes that are pretty do-able.
For pastry, I adore my Francois Payard cookbook, and I always take my Baker and Spice cookbook by Dan Lepard - he is a REAL bread guru - and has helped me out countless times. I seemed to have amasses over a hundred and fifty cookbooks, the latest additions being the Spoon, Grand livre de cuisine, and the pastry book by Ducasse. However, when I travel, I ALWAYS have Pierre Herme's 'secrets gourmands' in my bag.

Many more to go on about, but I'll stop for now.
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too many but seem to use my Pierre Franay and Patricia Wells at Home in Provence more often.
rebecca

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last two weeks I have been using James Beard's American Cookery every one or two days. I usually turn to any and all of the Moosewood Collective Restaurant cookbooks year round. Lately, since I bought my first Crock Pot a few months ago, I have been using my two cookbooks I bought for that appliance--the magazine Cooking Light's Crock Pot cookbook and The Best Crock Pot Cookbook Ever by one of the food critics for the L.A. Times (I think that's her job title, it might be another newspaper or magazine in the Los Angeles area.).
zingor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! My very first post on my very favorite subject. Smile

The book I thumb through most often is Le Repertoire de La Cuisine. I first got a copy when I was in culinary school, and have been through two more since. (I have a terrible ability to lose books, I'm afraid.)

It's a wonderful little reference book, let's say I want a soft boiled egg for dinner -- flip to eggs, flip to boiled, soft-boiled, moulded and poached, and there you have it, about 100 very basic recipes for what to do with a soft boiled egg.

And how do you fit 6,000 recipes into a paperback sized book of only 239 pages? By writing them like this:

Afraicaine -- On toasts garnished with grilled ham, pilaw rice, and dice of tomatoes.
Alsacienne -- Place the eggs on tarlets garnished with sauerkraut and a slice of ham.
Americaine -- On half tomatoes cooked in butter, coated with Americaine sauce, slices of truffles.

It's an incredibly fun book to just flip through while you write your weekly grocery list.

My other indispensible has already been much lauded in this list: The old Joy of Cooking that has recipes for Bear and Armadillo and well as Sand Tarts and Brownies Cockaigne.

But now you all have given me another dozen books I feel the urgent need to acquire.
Abby

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Cookbooks Reply with quote

I definitely read Nigel Slater's Appetite the most, but I really USE Jamie Oliver's cookbooks the most. And no, I'm not British. The Joy of Cooking gets a lot of action, too!
David

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That DOES sound like a fun book zingor! And it is available in North America at 18.95 US or 26.50 Canadian. Just so people aren't intimidated the book is in English, only the title is purely French.
Brian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love reading cookbooks and food magazines. I have subscribed to Bon Appetit and Gourmet for years, and find both to be great resources for recipes, wine recommendations and travel tips. While I have 80+ cookbooks in my library, like many of you, I find that there are a handful that I consult most often:

Bistro Cooking - Patricia Wells
Parisian Home Cooking - Michael Roberts
All of the Barefoot Contessa books - Ina Garten
Le Cordon Bleu series: Winter, Regional, Chocolate, etc.
Hors d' Oeuvres - Gillian Duffy
Hors d' Oeuvres Handbook - Martha Stewart

And, just last month I recieved a Christmas gift that I suspect will become the most used reference in my collection: Larousse Gastronomique. I have not been able to put it down! I don't know how I've come this far without it.
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Saveur Magazzine!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: