Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Which cookbook do you use the most?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Annie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several cookbooks at my house. However, the ones I use the most are in my head. My grandmother used the old Watkin's Cookbook. And if you are familiar with Watkin's you know which cookbook I am speaking of. They don't use units of measure. They use the terms, pinch or dash. I am what most people call a back woods cook. And I am proud of it. What a back woods cook does is never measure anything but prepares the meals by taste only. But, I do use my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook for references. I look at a recipe I like to make and make my own adjustments. I like to add little things to enhance the flavor. I love to cook with garlic. So every meal has to have something with garlic, either the potatoes or the meat. I also like to experiment with my jams and jelllies. I make concoctions that people love... (example, cranberry/pineapple jelly, canberry/grape, pinapple/elderberry...just to name a few.
Mia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Fine Cooking! Reply with quote

Of all my cookbooks, I probably turn to ... my Fine Cooking magazine the most. My wonderful cousin Maria gave me a three-year subscription that is delivered to me here in Germany. I'd knock over my own grandmother to get the mailbox on the days that it arrives (sorry Nonna).
The people who write and contribute to the magazine LOVE and explore every aspect of food -- it's useful, enlightening, and the best source for recipes I've ever found.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it will turn out to be the one I use the most, but I just got the Gourmet cookbook. It was a great deal -- $25 at Costco ($40 retail). It appears to be a nice combination of standards to real dishes employing more sophisticated ingredients.

The first dish I made was a kind of fusion chicken with an Asian vinaigrette and grilled limes. We enjoyed it very much. We had it with rice flavored with nori & salted sesame seeds similar to the spirulina gomasio that clotilde wrote about last month.

I look forward to trying other Gourmet recipes. Anyone else using it?
Crow4ever

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have so many cookbooks and I like each one of them, and I am fast running out of space to store them!!!! But does the lack of storage space curb my urge to buy new books ... NO WAY!

In the last 18 months I have mainly been using cookbooks by Kylie Kwong, Bill Granger, Donna Hay, Michael Chiarello, Jamie Oliver, Art Smith, Thomas Keller, Tom Douglas, Nancy Silverton, Nigella Lawson and Todd English.

And I love the Whole Foods Market Cookbook, this book lives on top of the fridge!
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Crow4ever

There are a few Oz names on your favourites list - Bill Granger, Kylie Kwong, Donna Hay. Do you have an Australian connection, by chance? You live in a lovely part of the US - where in WA are you?
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crow4ever,
I have been wanting the Tom Douglas cookbook, I was thumbing through it the other day. He owns Etta's doesn't he? Have you ever checked out Jerry Traunfeld's "The Herbfarm Cookbook"? If you haven't he is a wonderful local chef, the PNW's version of Thomas Keller.
Welcome to the forums, I am from Seattle and always get excited to see someone from home here.

"It's hot ham water."
Crow4ever

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy ... I am from your neck of the woods, I grew up in Walkerville and lived in St Peters until I came to the US. And I wholeheartedly agree with your comment that my husband and I are living in a lovely part of America. We relocated to Washington State in 1996 when my husband got a job offer that sparked his curiosity, so we packed up and moved here. How long we will stay is a big question mark. Originally we only intended to be here 3 years, but that has stretched into almost 10 years, so who knows what will eventually be. I like it here very much, but I do get homesick every now and then, especially around holiday times, and I really miss the colours and smells of South Australia. Thank goodness for planes! When homesick gets too much, I can fly to SA for a 'quick cure visit'!

Erin ... Thank you for the welcome. My husband and I have eaten at The Herbfarm several times, the food is superb thanks to the culinary talents of Jerry Traunfeld. That man knows his stuff!!!!!!!!! Tom Douglas and his wife have 4 restaurants ... Lola, the Palace Kitchen, Dahlia Lounge and Etta's Seafood ... and the Palace Ballroom, an event facility. We often eat at Etta's and the Dahlia Lounge. The latter also has a tiny store front bakery called the Dahlia Bakery, we often get something there to nibble on when we go for a weekend drive.
Lisa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cookbooks I reach for most often are:

The Dreaded Broccoli Cookbook, Barbara & Tamar Haspel
This is written in a narrative form and is delightful to curl up with on the couch, but also chock-full of really practical information. The mother-daughter duo really believes that creating healthy yummy food doesn't need to be intimidating. Their sweet, humorous tone makes the book a joy, and I've loved every recipe I've tried. And it's not hard to look up specific information, thanks to a good index. I can't believe more people don't know about this book and it's kind of a joyful mission of mine to introduce it to folks ...

Jane Brody's Good Food Book: Living the High Carbohydrate Way, Jane Brody
I've always wondered how this book is faring in the crazed low-carb world -- anyhow I think it just contains lots of really sensible information. It's really a reference book and I pull it off my shelf all the time, for nutrition info about fruits and veggies, soaking and cooking times for beans and grains, etc. This was one of the first books my mom bought when she made a conscious decision to start cooking healthier foods while I was growing up, and her copy stands tattered but proud on her shelf among her newer acquisitions (one of my favorites among her newer ones: The Passionate Vegetarian, Crescent Dragonwagon -- it's such a hefty tome you could use it as a doorstop but it's such a delight you won't dare – she’s so passionate about eating and living with joy). When I moved away to college I bought my own copy and it's fairly tattered itself now ...

Any of the Moosewood books
I have the original New Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen (an updated, healthier version of the 1977 original) and the Moosewood Collective's Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites. Everything is tasty tasty, and I love browsing through the other Moosewood Collective cookbooks when I'm at the bookstore.

Twelve Months of Monastery Soups, Brother Victor-Antoine d'Avila Latourrette
Easy, delicious recipes. Organized by month with seasonal ingredients. Lovely stories and quotes throughout as well. I also love his From a Monastery Kitchen -- found an old old copy at the Strand here in Manhattan (8 Miles of Books! heaven really, except at closing time ... )

A related question:

What cookbooks would you recommend as a wedding gift for a couple that have a tiny Manhattan kitchen and don't cook all that often? I'm going to stay away from The Joy of Cooking just because I'm certain someone else will buy it for them, plus the question of whether to track down an old copy or buy a newer edition. In reading this thread it seems like Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything could be a good bet. I love food and cooking and so it seems like a gift so-themed would be good. But I also know that lots of folks don't cook as much as I do and so I don't want to give anything too overwhelming that's fated to spend its life in their bookshelf ...
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crow4ever,

Wow! I never knew he owned all of those! I love the Dahlia Lounge and I think I looked at the ballroom for my wedding. I really need to plan a trip back, I miss all my old spots like La Panier, Mama's Mexican Kitchen, Bizzaro, Mandalay Cafe and Shiro's. I have only been to The Herbfarm once but it was wonderful! I think I was wrong to call Traunfeld the PNW's Thomas Keller they are both members of an elite class. One of my favorites from his book is the sour cherry and sage roasted duck, mmmm! You will have to let me know about new restaurants you find so I can give em a go when I visit home.

"It's hot ham water."
baronism

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone mentioned the Barefoot Contessa cook books? I find all her recipes to be simple, elegant and tasty.

I learned a valuable lesson from Ina about giving a dinner party - you only need two dishes for the main course!
________
vaporizers

Last edited by baronism on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
David

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baronism--Ina is my favourite, for the same reasons you cited. Those reasons and the fact she is so comfortable being Ina!
Barbara

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere (can't remember where!) we only use an average of 8 recipes from any one recipe book.
David

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara, I wouldn't doubt that at all. In fact I'm surprised the number is that high. I have tons of books I've never used at all---but I still love looking at them.
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed David. I have books I enjoy reading but don't cook from. (And a relief you weren't on the way to Paris last night!) I thought of you when I heard the news of the Pope's passing this morning.
baronism

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: cookbook neglect... Reply with quote

Absolutely agreed! Case in point, I got the Kylie Kwong cookbook as a gift a few months ago, and I have yet to tackle a recipe. I must admit though, I do love looking at the gorgeous photos, but I feel a bit guilty for not putting it to better use!
________
Daihatsu Midget

Last edited by baronism on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: