Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Souffle Restaurant in Paris?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kara

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Souffle Restaurant in Paris? Reply with quote

hello~ I just returned from a very short visit to Paris in September (1 night). I left wishing I had eaten a souffle while I was there. I am returning in February and hope I will not leave disappointed! I read about a place called "Le Souffle" in a Time Out guide, however it says they are closed 2 weeks in February (which 2 weeks I am not sure). Does anyone know anything about this place in particular? (i.e. when it is closed in February or if it is worth going to?) Also, any suggestions for where to have a main course souffle will be appreciated!!! Thank you!
melinda

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been several times over the years and have never been disappointed....i usually get a souffle for lunch....cheese or spinach & a grand marnier souffle for dessert....they even bring u the bottle to the table so u can add gr marnier (a big mistake at my table!) It's a lovely place, white tablecloths & all....may be in a bit of a touristy area.....but I enjoyed...don't know when it's closed...hopefully u can get there
Elizagard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been there a few times and always liked it. It's a bit hard to find so leave a little extra time for that. I can never remember whether I like the Spinach or cheese souffle better. I do remember really liking the chocolate one.
Lilia Dignan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Melinda and Elizagard (I also live in SF). My husband and I have eaten there a few times when we lived in Paris in the early 80s and always enjoyed the souffles.
We will be in Paris at the end of the month to celebrate a very important birthday when I will officially be a senior citizen but still feel like a youngster. Will be staying on rue Castiglione which is less than 5 minute walk from Le Souffle so we have to eat there again but also cannot miss one of my favorites - L'Ardoise. They are both on rue du Mont Thabor which is just one block parallel to rue de Rivoli and also parallel to rue Saint-Honore.
Kara, next time you are in Paris, please make sure you try it. I'll post what w ate when we come back.
-Lilia
simona

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Lilia,
A good address for a souffle,arriving pipping hot from Paris ( the address, not the souffle);
I had the great pleasure of eating one of my best meals in Paris last week at a restaurant named "La Cigale Recamier" , 4 Rue Recamier, which is a little street accross Hotel Lutecia, Metro Sevres Babylone, close to the Grande Epicerie of the Bon Marche, across the street of one of the "Maison du Chocolat" , around the corner from THE Poilane Shop , and about 200 m from Pierre Herme shop on Rue Bonaparte. Just off St. Germain de Pres. It's a restaurant popular with publishers, very traditional, elegant in a refined sort of way,and reasonably priced ( 30-40E pp ). But the main thing is that they specialize in soufflees, savoury and sweet. I ate the most tender lamb chops ( I'm a meat meat meat person) but had a incredible caramel souffle for desert. My two companions had savoury souffles and sweet ones too. If souffle is what you want, I recommend the place ( do reserve, it's very popular -
tel: 01 45 48 86 5Cool. And , last but not least, you may be as lucky as I was: to have a two hour wonderful meal seated just across Catherine Deneuve and her girlfriends, who were having a nice Girls-Lunch , chatting close to my (very attentive) ears. Yes, she's still very, but really very very, beautiful. Bon Appetit in Paris, and happy birthday to you!!!
Lilia Dignan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kara,
As promised, here's the info on Le Souffle, 36, rue du Mont Thabor, Paris 1er; tel.: 01.42.60/27.19; ouvert de 12h a 14h30, 19h a 22h; ferme le dimanche. Vin le - cher: Chinon 2003, 22 euro. Vin le + cher: Richbourg 2000, 250 euro. Menus at 29 and 39 euros (lunch and dinner).
Closed February 5-19, 2006. Will re-open on Monday, Feb. 20 just in time for you.
Please check Simona's post on Le Cigale Recamier (which I missed as I left before I read her post).
The weather last week was so cold and stayed cold the whole 10m days we were there. Hope you have better weather! I will send you a PM just in case you miss this one.
-Lilia
Lilia Dignan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Simona,

So glad you had a great time and a lucky one to be dining with Catherine Deneuve. I wasn't lucky enough to even have a glimpse of her inspite of the fact that I've spend a lot of time at Pierre Herme on rue Bonaparte. Ms. Deneuve lives in a penthouse on Place Saint Sulpice. C'est domage pour moi.

My luck is having a little chat with the chef of L'Ardoise (Pierre Jay) on 28, rue du Mont Thabor with a little visit in his tiny kitchen. What a nice treat to a foodie! Another day, we had a nice accueil from Christian Constant (ancien chef of Les Ambassadeurs; now chef-proprietor of Le Violon d'Ingres in the Champs de Mars neighborhood) while lunching at Cafe Constant one day.

My birthday meal was a little bit disappointing at Le Meurice considering how much it costs us but the rest of the experience (dining and otherwise) had been enjoyable. Dinner at Aux Lyonnais at 32, rue Saint-Marc and Au Mon Vieil Ami on rue Saint Louis en l'Ile were excellent. Missed trying Le Comptoir du Relais as it is being remodelled - next time for sure! Dining at our friends homes also highlighted our trip.

I can't wait to try the confiture de nouvel an par Christine Ferber bought at La Grande Epicerie de Bon Marche. Both of my children in the States will not run out of fleur de sel de Guerande. We will also enjoy the nougats de Montelimar and callisons d'Aix and an old armagnac from Ryst Dupeyron on rue du Bac.

I'm sorry that I had already left when you posted the info on Le Cigale Recamier. Will have to try that on the next trip. Did you have real good coffee? I found that most placed have been serving weaker coffees. I wonder if it is because of those new machines they have installed in the cafes.

Time to plan on visiting my brother in Lisbon (hoping he doesn't get transferred before I make it)............

Lilia
simona

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Lilia,
I realized too late that I sent my post aftrer your departure for Paris.
Still I understand from your post you had a really good time, and that's what matters.
You ask about coffe: I don't mind coffee, I don't like coffee, and I drink coffee only once a day, in the morning, Tasters Chioce. I know it's a shame, but I prefer tea.
Lisbon, everybody seems to to go Lisbon these days... There is a good recent tread about Lisbon on the forums which might provide you a lot of informatin.
Bon Voyage,
Simona
Lilia Dignan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Simona,
I was reading the tread on Lisbon and I readyour recommendations plus all the great ideas from Filipe. It is good to have a local person to stir us on the fun things to do, see, eat, et. al. plus having a travel agent in the forum.
After savoring my last trip, will start making arrangements for the next one. Always enjoying all your posts. I feel so lucky to find the C&Z forum - feels like I know most of you.
Thanks again.
-Lilia
Lilia Dignan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kara,
Sorry about the typo.
Here are more recommendations:
l'Ardoise, 28 rue du Mont Thabor, 1er tel.: 01.42.98.26.18
Aux Lyonnais, 32 Saint Marc, 2eme tel.: 01.42.96.65.04
Auberge Pyrenees-Cevennes, 106 rue de la Folie Mericourt, 11eme
tel.: 01.43.57.33.78 (specialites Lyonnaises)
Bistrot du Dome, 1 rue Delambre, 14eme tel.: 01..43.35.32.00
La Maison Courtine, 157 avenue du Maine, 14eme
tel.: 01.45.43.08.04
Mon Vieil Ami, 69 rue St. Louis-en-l'Ile, 4eme tel: 01.40.46.01.35
I also tried one of Clotilde's favorite sandwich place - Cojean, 6 rue de Seze, 9eme (a deux pas de la place de la Madeleine, around the corner from Fauchon for a light lunch when we arrived in Paris. Great soups, salads and paninis.
Bon voyage,
-lilia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: