Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Would you like to plan my trip to London?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donna

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: London/Dublin Reply with quote

Hey There Pockymonkey -

Thanks so much for your reply about Dublin. I haven't started doing my homework yet, so your post will help me focus while I'm studying! I am always enthralled with visits to big estates - especially the gardens. The tombs and stone carvings sound fascinating as well. Do you think we should rent a car, or will public transit do? Thanks again for the great tips!

Thanks to everyone for the brilliant hints on seeing London. It's been 15 years since our last visit there and many new areas to visit - and new restaurants to try!

Donna
santafescribbler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Would you like to plan my trip to London? Reply with quote

When you get to Dublin, take another poster's advice and do a side trip to County Wicklow. I can heartily recommend staying at Hunters Hotel, in Rathnew. It's an old-fashioned, comfortable, well-fed place - http://www.hunters.ie/ Even if you don't stay overnight there, drop in after a splendid countryside walk for a cup of tea, or a Guinness, by the roaring fire.
Pockymonkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna,

having a car in Dublin is a nightmare and should be avoided at all costs. The city is pretty compact and walkable (at least, the main tourist areas are close by) and there are buses to help you along. They're building a tram system too, but I don't know how far along that project is.

For getting around outside of Dublin, you could go with the bus system, called Bus Eireann (my sister and I did this years ago when traveling on the cheap and it worked out fine), but I would probably recommend a car hire if you are okay with driving on the left. It gives you much more flexibility and freedom to linger or explore off the main bus routes.

Another suggestion - I don't know if this would be possible strictly as a day trip, but was so enjoyable, I thought I should mention it: all around the town of Kilkenny (about 2 hours from Dublin), there is a fantastic arts and crafts trail, where you can go visit artisans working in their studios, sometimes get little studio tours, and have the chance of buying really lovely handmade items at source. We picked up some gorgeous handblown glass from the Jerpoint glass studio (they have more contemporary designs - a nice counterpoint to the traditional Waterford crystal), pottery at Nicholas Mosse, and leather pieces from Chesneau. Plus, the drive in the country is just lovely. Add a stop for cream tea in the afternoon, and you have a perfect day!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: