Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Brokeback Mountain
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheew. Thank you for that Madame. And a lovely sentence it is too.. how it must have sounded in Heath's accent and subtle reserved tone. (I can imagine as I heard the interviews with the cast at the Toronto Int. Film Fest last September). It is also obvious to me that I have to get some recreational reading in soon.. thesis writing is not fun but temporary. I have the time since the movie won't be released here until the 23 of Feb.

Here here. To David and his shop. (Sociable! I think he'll know what that means and perhaps also a dead givaway as to where I am originally from). I'll have one for you at the Christmas work-do tomorrow. I have been pee'd off at shall we call them "non-nook type stores" that double as cafeterias since my favourite little shop (home of Chaucer the bookstore cat) in my old uni town in Fredericton NB is no more. Sad
(Sure they are online but does that get me out of the house?)

Hopefully the holiday season (and beyond) will be good to you, Mr. David and to all here are C&Z.
David

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Leo! And how did you get from Fredrickton to N.Z.?
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame,
I can feel your pain, as I will be waiting four months or so myself. We rarely get any good movies out here mostly garbage like "Bride of Chucky". Oh well, thank goodness for Netflix.

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, Madame- Waiting's not so hard. We have access to various screenings and can usually see a movie early and free if we want to. Truth is, we rarely take advantage. It's so pleasant to watch things at home and cable and TIVO make that completely possible and convenient so long as we're not in a big hurry. ...we're not.

That isn't to denigrate any individual film. There are the odd excellent ones (everybody, go see Capote and Goodnight and Good Luck) and Brokeback Mountain sounds like one to see. It's the movie culture that I gave up on a long time ago.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have heard "Walk the Line" is also a goer...

yep..agree on the movie stuff..would much rather watch a film at home..mostly...the big cinema complexes give me the creeps...all that popcorn and mega this and mega that...and noiseeeeeeeeeee

we have a dear cinema at Glenbrook..short drive from home...family run...small...fun...so what if we have to wait a while...someone said patience is the soul's smile..I doth like that idea..and given that I reckon I'm here to learn patience..I'll give it a go! Wink
Erin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame,
You would love my decrepit little theater. I am not a fan of the big ones either. Why would I want to see commercials before my movie? My little theater doesn't do that.
My patients is something I am working on, I am making progress though. Wink

"It's hot ham water."
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok Erin..while Barbara's away from her cellar..let's raid it ...and you select..and we'll drink to your patience work...'n I'll drink to mine...together we can clink glasses...and an open invitation to anyone who would like to join us... Wink ..and here's to old cinemas..everywhere..
laurie_m

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Brokeback Mountain Reply with quote

It is a heartbreaking movie, Heath Ledger is great. BTW, "King Kong" is pretty good, if too long, "Geisha" is pretty good, also too long, and "Good Night and Good Luck" is a must see. "Syriana" is also very good.
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reviews I've heard for Memoirs of a Geisha weren't promising. Too bad. The book was riveting – the most surprising thing being that the actual geisha whose story is told is still alive. I would have guessed it all came to an end a long time ago.
laurie_m

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Geisha" is nowhere near as good as the book- but it is pretty.
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Madame- I just saw your reference to jacarandas. Purple trees were one of the first big surprises I had when I moved to LA. I had never heard of jacarandas before and I don't know where else I've ever heard of them.

There are places in LA where, at the right time of year, you can look out over the valley and pick out the purple trees in bloom. It's quite impressive! They get very lush here.

One of my other big surprises about LA is the sound of wind in palm trees. It sounds romantic, no? NO! They sound like clattering venetian blinds. Shocked Still, the sight of their profile when there's still color in the sky late in the day is something to see.
Erin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind in the palm tree's is only romantic if it is the lazy Trade Winds on a Kauai beach. There should also be champagne involved.

"It's hot ham water."
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey...we live in a street lined with these gorgeous trees...they provide a carpet of joy each year...the tyres pop pop the flowers...everything needs champagne...full stop! Wink
Leo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember those fantastic purple trees from my summer in Sydney a few years ago.
Flowers on the road and sprinkled over the parked cars. I'd heard that Lady Diana had requested a dress to be made in that shade of purple either for or after a Royal visit to Australia. Maybe a myth but testament to the colour all the same.
Jacarandas and the fragrance of frangipani.
It was champagne season, full stop indeed! We spent a small fortune on Moet for Christmas on Coogee and decided to go with Salinger for New Years at the Rocks. A wise move.
Which leads to my opinion of those honest folk who use the Sydney train system.
After too much Salinger on a couple of occasions (all valid), I left my wallet on a bench at Chatswood, on a train coming from Penrith (Blue Mtns) and AGAIN at Central waiting for the Bondi train.
Wallet returned 3/3.
I credit/blame the bubbly and a headful of frangipani for my inability to keep tabs on my all important proof of age, drivers licence and bus passes..etc. Everyone said I was lucky to have it returned but it wasn't luck at all. It was 3 nice people who took my poor lost wallet to the Cityrail office. So a BIG thank you to them.
David

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally saw it yesterday. a knockout. Ledger is a revelation, an inspired performance. Art direction and costumes were perfect as well, everything understated and impoverished looking. Emotionally wrenching yet satisfying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: