Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Brokeback Mountain
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The attention it is getting is so amazing, so many award nominations!

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, surprisingly (as least I'm surprised) the negative press is minimal while even red state critics are really responding to it. It begins opening in red states today. Hope it reaches a few hearts and consciences.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Darling One...I love those cinema moments...where you don't want to blink because you'll miss a nanosecond of wonder...
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of great films, has anyone seen Capote? It's one of the most powerful things I've ever seen. Philip Seymour Hoffman will take your breath away. I'm not kidding. Take your breath aWAY!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine Brokeback Mountain AND Capote on the same day....delicious overdose maybe...

'n while on things flimic ~ perhaps kevin SPACEY would have been a better bet in De-Lovely ~ the kevin they picked didn't come whisker close methinks...to the range of Porter....to his complexity...

glasses raised to the cinema and the joy it gives us...

"Good Night and Good Luck" tonight....the thrill of anticipation..

oh, and glasses again to those who stay the course of acting...who keep at it during those rugged years of struggle...not saying that each year doesn't have its particular form of struggle for each of us...however on the film thing, I'm grateful the Heaths of the world have stayed the journey....

we patiently await the mountain and capote films...either that, or I take flight over the Pacific Wink
Erin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another film I am waiting for just happens to be Capote.

I live in the sticks.

"It's hot ham water."
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps some who are frightened might be brave enough to say "Hello" to their fear and buy a ticket ~ I imagine it to be a film about love ~ love and its squillions of layers..

love love love

you never know, this might be a mighty big learning curve for many folk...

even though I've not seen the film...might I say I won't mind in the least if Heath walks/runs up the stairs on Oscar night Wink

here's to facing those fears!
Lady Amalthea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madameshawshank wrote:
even though I've not seen the film...might I say I won't mind in the least if Heath walks/runs up the stairs on Oscar night Wink

I saw it on Monday and it was just wonderful. I certainly think Heath deserves an Oscar, as does the woman who played his wife. Just a fantastic movie--heartbreaking, but touching and it left me hopeful that others will see a simple love story, a modern-day Romeo and Juliet, and destroy the obstacles that still keep men like these two apart.

Like you, Rainey, I'll be really interested in the Red States' reaction.
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Brokeback and the Utah rumour.. Reply with quote

thought I'd check out the 'Brokeback banned in Utah' thing...

this from The Salt Lake Tribune:
http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/ci_3387000

I would delete the word "good" in the second last paragraph ~ who the hell determines this "good" or "bad"...enough already...I can accept so and so acted in such and such a way...however those labels ..aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

yep, I feel better now! Wink

It is a wondrous feeling..this waiting to see...this anticipation...

'n by the by..how about "Good Night, and Good Luck"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that '50s feel created to perfection...ensemble work of great intensity...oops...did anyone notice..at the beginning of the film..the words scrolled ...."1940's and 1950's"...those oh oh oh so naughty apostrophes!
Erin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I hadn't heard about that. It's very sad.

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, given the political and cultural hysteria rampant here in the US, I think it was pretty predictable. What's surprising and delightful is that, so far, it's been limited to that theater group in Utah. Elsewhere the boxoffice and reception seems to be going very smoothly.

Hurray for open minds and tolerance!!!
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am just starting to see the posters for it now..... getting excited!
Donna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So - I noticed people mentioning Memoirs of a Geisha here as well. Has anybody (Erin?) seen that one yet? And what is the general opinion?

I just adored the book, was absolutely transported while I read it. And part of the movie was filmed here in the SF Bay Area - so I'm dying to see it. However, the reviews have been underwhelming, so I think I may just cherish my memories of the book, unless someone has another opinion!
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna...an idea...perhaps wait until the dvd comes out..and watch it without any sound....you never know! maybe it's the screenplay that hasn't worked...
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna- Love your new icon. I want to put on my paper lobster bib and DIVE right in!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: