Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Brokeback Mountain
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donna

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pic from a PERFECT DAY in Cancale in Normandy a year and a half ago. The plateau was divine!

Rainey - I don't have such expressive feet - or I would have copied you!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh but Donna Darling..ALL feet are expressive Wink
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna,
I have not seen "Memoirs" yet. I feel rather removed from civilized society out here in the sticks, that's why I have Netflix.
Has anyone seen it?

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trolling that PaperbackBookSaver site this morning and ran across this link to Annie Proulx' story as originally published in The New Yorker. http://www.livejournal.com/users/mister_don/89313.html#cutid1

I've heard it said that it's even better than the movie. I haven't read it yet (just printed it out and toddled over here with the link for you guys) so I couldn't say but that's so often the case. Our own imaginations are powerful things!

Enjoy.
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today is my lucky day!!! Not only is it four dollar Tuesday at the theater in Westhampton, but BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN is in the theater!!! I am going to see it this afternoon finally!

"It's hot ham water."
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my goodness..........heartbreaking.

Heath Ledger is amazing. He played the role so perfectly, I was totally blown away.

"It's hot ham water."
FoodSciGeek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finally going to see Brokeback on Tuesday. My bookclub read the story for our Dec-Jan selection (it can be hard to fit in a full novel over the holidays). We decided following our discussion last week that we'd go to see the movie together.

Interesting that after the wins in the Golden Globes, it's moved back into 5th place this weekend of movies in NA. Last weekend it was 10th.
Leo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Madame, a good start..
No doubt you have seen.. 8 Nominations for Brokeback Mountain.
Who said: not bad for a "cowboy romance"? Puhleese.

Heath has a nod for Best Actor. Gyllenhaal Best Supporting Actor, Michelle Williams for Best Supporting Actress, Best Motion Picture, Achievement in Directing, Achievement in Music (Original score), Best Adapted Screenplay, and Achievement in Cinematography.
There are some quite good films out this year and the competition is tough. Will be exciting to see what happens.

Keen to hear your theatre-going expert opinion.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just seen it - what a beautiful movie.

Now I want to go to Wyoming .... or Alberta .... or both! What magnificent scenery.

T'would be great if Heath got the gong, but he's up against very tough competition in Mr Seymour-Hoffman as Capote.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
David

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting Judy---there was alittle article in one of the local papers about the sudden interest people are having in Wyoming---the person in charge of tourism in that state says there has never before been seen such interest in his state and it is alllllllllll because of Brokeback. Even when it is made clear it was filmed in the (magnificent) foothills of Alberta people remain eager to get info on Wyoming!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Leo...I'll need hours....could see it again at the drop of a hat...as the credits (I've just looked at the ...s ~ they drive some folk crazy ~ maybe I should try normal punctuation...or lists..see! the dots come soooooooooooooooo naturally to me..see! there they are again..oops and again..

as I was saying ~ as the credits rolled, all I wanted to do was see it again.

In the order in which thoughts come into my head ~
saw the film at Dendy Newtown ~ fabulous food place and great bookshops (hello David!) ~ one book "100 Great Books in Haiku"

while walking to the car I thought...oops see the dots again! I wonder what my Brokeback Mountain haiku would be ~ it came to me in the blink of an eye:

clenched smoker's cough tent
visiting love forbidden
Brokeback denim tears

hours and hours we could all sit around a table ~ wine and food and stories. again, while walking, I thought of those seeing the film, who, for the first time will think about seemingly hetrosexual marriages. I know of 4 people who have left such marriages. This is a period in our history where you aren't bashed or killed as much as before. While I realise there are still zillions of people on earth who are threatened by sexualityother than hetro ~ more and more are coming to realise we are as diverse as the 6plus billion that make up our humanity..

anyway..back to the film.

knock your socks off acting all 'round.
love the energy of the turning the tv off scene
the eyes of Ennis and Jack spoke layers of unspoken speech
the bluebird earrings of the daughter ~ and the mention of bluebird a short time later
the wonderful silences given to us by Ang Lee
the volcanic rage of Ennis and Alma in the kitchen...her bottled rage kept in mind-numbing check for all that time...had she thought on and off of speaking of the fishing rod? living with unspoken thoughts..with unspoken knowledge...
the pain in Alma's face..the knowing eyes ~ exquisite acting
thinking of those reviewers and viewers who haven't like this film ~ wondering why...some think it slowpaced ~ I make a point of checking out reviews after I've seen a film..reviews that are the opposite of how I've felt about a film...this from Stephanie Zacharek "Brokeback Mountain takes great pains to be a compassionate love story; but the filmmaking itself, self-consciously restrained and desiccated, is inert and inexpressive." ~ disagree Stephanie!
this love story is simply that...as complex as any ~ we are given, in our culture, that love is roses etc etc etc...6plus billion people...6plus billion ways of BEing ~
Ennis and Jack are not rare beings
Ledger's acting (somehow he got under Ennis' skin methinks..to search and find that heartbroken character) when talking of his childhood...the one curve..

how wonderful it is to be able to see films! the joy of anticipation in the darkened theatre...
am imagining some people seeing this film ~ unexpectedly to their friends..eg "Golly Freddy/Sally Blogs didn't think you'd ever see a film like that"...Freddy or Sally might then share the experience of watching the film...and their friends, who might have missed the wonder of the big screen, might catch it on dvd...
we learn through stories ~ this is a story begging for reflection

"Jack, I swear..."

the music Idea inspired (loved hearing Willie Nelson ~ he was a friend of mine)

my wish is that more and more and more and more and yet more again people see this film ~ that stories are shared...

my wish is that we stop and ask ourselves "Is this who I wish to be...Why do I hate/fear so and so or such and such? Is it because of programming? Is it because grandpappy thought that way? Is it because I was taught to hate/fear?"....oh Leo..could go on...and on...you see I'm imagining what it must be like to be other than hetrosexual...for such a big deal to be made of the love between two men...

So..I think of the homosexuals, the bisexuals, the transgender ~ I think of their lives....stories of love in all its complexity...I think of the 6plus billion varieties of love

I raise my glass to all involved with this film..to the initial storyteller herself...and the wondrous vision of the director...to all...I raise ma glass

fini Wink

ps whoever has read to the end...congratulations and go pour yourself a fine wine! hugs
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Madame, I KNEW you'd love it!

Greg and I both want to see it again. I can't stop thinking about it. It's on my list of Desert Island movies already..... Hmm, time to start a new topic.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscars coming up....who knows...I mean can you imagine the behind the scenes scenes of that stuff...the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 'n all..

so, to winning or not-winning Oscars ~ methinks it would be a little ...oh who knows...to be feted as Heath Ledger has and is being feted...

so, come Oscar night..if he gets the statue...ok...
if not...I hope he realises that's all it is...a piece of some kind of stuff...that the film making is the all...the rest is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and some kind of metal..

van Gogh didn't get Oscars (or the art world of the time Oscar)..he simply kept on a paintin'...got a bit heavy at the end...however he painted painted painted..

Ledger ...act act act...make those films that grab our souls and the wit in us....never mind the metal! enjoy
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems the President of the United States won't be seeing Brokeback Mountain. I've seen a video clip of him at Kansas State University...at the end of his speech, he took questions...here's one, and his reply:

Question: You're a rancher. A lot of us here in Kansas are ranchers. I just wanted to get your opinion on Brokeback Mountain and if you had seen it yet... You would love it. You should check it out.

Bush: I hadn't seen it. I would be glad to talk about ranchin' but I haven't seen the movie... I've heard about it... I hope you go.. you know.. heh, heh.. I hope you go back to the ranch and the farm is what I was going to say... I hadn't seen it.

The man appeared uncomfortable...without a speechwriter on hand...unable to put sentences together..(well, given my ...there would be those who same the same of moi Wink )

However, one would hope for a president who could make an articulate response to the question. He appeared out of his depth...as though someone had asked him about quantum physics...

Wonder what films he does watch?

Am seeing it again this week...enough time has elapsed between first and appproaching second viewing...will pay more attention to the eyes this time...the eyes of the wives...the eyes of the husbands...
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

golly gosh I'm drawn to the mountain story...

have come across this review...from the US Conference of Catholic Bishops...

Over-the-years love story between two emotionally fragile cowboys (Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal) who begin an intimate relationship during a solitary sheepherding assignment. Though shortly after, they try to go their separate ways, with one marrying his fiancee (Michelle Williams) and the other a former rodeo queen (Anne Hathaway), they continue to be drawn to each other. Director Ang Lee's well-crafted film, which is superbly acted, was adapted from a New Yorker short story by Pulitzer Prize-winner Annie Proulx. It treats the subject matter -- which a Catholic audience will find contrary to its moral principles -- with discretion. tacit approval of same-sex relationships, adultery, two short male sex scenes without nudity, two brief heterosexual encounters with upper female nudity, shadowy rear nudity, other implied sexual situations, profanity, rough and crude expressions, irreligious remarks, alcohol and brief drug use, fleeting violent images, a gruesome description of a murder, some fisticuffs, brief domestic violence. O -- morally offensive.

Have the bishops wondered why the man was brutally murdered......homophobia dear bishops..homophobia...if anyone wants an example of focus on sex and body parts...here's a prime example..(it's like an old list of sins for confession...3 shadowy rear nudities...8 upper female nudities...who the hell counts these things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Surprised )

.I can remember at high school watching some Biblical epic...when the old dance of the veils came on the head nun told us to shut our eyes...so many programmed to hate any flesh...as it was then called...ages back... Wink but my dears..that's another story again...

the full review for anyone interested...
http://www.usccb.org/movies/b/brokebackmountain.shtml

'n finally..a note from Annie Proulx regarding Brokeback...

Note on interviews:

I very much regret that the demand for interviews has overwhelmed me. I am sorry to disappoint anyone, but I can no longer neglect my regular writing work. From today, December 9, 2005, I can no longer do any interviews connected with Brokeback Mountain.

Suggested background information sources are: my biography, curriculum vitae, and Interview with Annie Proulx (The Missouri Review, vol XXII, No. 2, 1999). There is one lie in this interview where I said I had never fallen in love with any of my characters. I think I did fall in love with both Jack and Ennis, or some other strong feeling of connection which has persisted for the 8 years since the story was written. Another commentary on the Brokeback story is in the essay "Getting Movied," included in the recently published Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay (Scribner, 2005), which also contains essays by Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry.

Thanks for your interest,

Annie Proulx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: