Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Brokeback Mountain
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww Rainey, I'm a little red. HUGS!!

"It's hot ham water."
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: THE shirts Reply with quote

LOS ANGELES (AP) - They say things are worth whatever people are willing to pay. And, a gay activist named Tom Gregory has just paid more than 100-thousand bucks for two used plaid shirts. The money goes to charity. These aren't just any shirts. They're the ones worn by the lovers played by Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal (JILL'-ehn-hahl) in "Brokeback Mountain." Tom Gregory says the shirts are as important a souvenir as the ruby slippers are for fans of "The Wizard of Oz." Gregory says he'll keep the shirts just the way they were in the movie, entwined on a hanger. He says he "would never wear them, put them on, or separate them."

I'm wondering who made the shirts!...the ruby slippers of our days...just maybe!

To all those who've loved the film...get yourselves the soundtrack...immediately!

I can remember all those years ago..walking out of the cinema after seeing "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"...that film stayed with me for weeks and weeks...as has Brokeback...

the wonder of storytelling..the wonder of all our stories...
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: brokeback mountain Reply with quote

Great film!!!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okey dohkey Wink

Dear cigalechanta 'n all who have been drawn to this exquisite film...the following site is simply wondrous...dave cullen thought there was a need for a BBM site..forumwise....this is it! There are heartbreaking real-life stories....Annie wrote the story because of gay-hate violence in Wyoming..

http://www.davecullen.com/forum

am interested if many have revisited the film...I've seen it three times...and look forward to many more before the dvd comes out...

they had 700 really truly sheep....1800 were created by computer stuff...

ah..where bluebirds sing indeed...
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060223.wxbroke0223/BNStory/International/home

how about that...unofficially banned in China...

can imagine countless dvds being sold..pirated in China...legally bought in a few months time..hopefully soon

where oh where can I buy a BBM season ticket Wink
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

am wondering if anyone has seen it more than once...my 4th visit yesterday..with my sis in law...the joy of having the time to notice and discover all those exquisite little details...the flare of Ennis' nostrils when Jack's father let's him know of the other guy...Roberta Maxwell's brilliance as Jack's mother...I going goosebumpy typing this...and a friend told me once to pay special attention to goose bumps...especially those all over ones....it is a moment to dig deep into...because it's your being letting you know something...crumbs...Jack's mother....ummmmmmmm
swan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you notice -and oh, how sweet and powerful that is- that Ennis put the other shirt on the outside in his own closet-different from when he found them? A beautiful embrace, very moving. I wonder which shirt the buyer keeps on top.
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swan Darling..I've read that it was Heath's idea to do that...can't you imagine Ennis..can't you imagine Ennis doing that...driving off with the paper bag...'n the shirts...the tears and the tenderness of the swapping..of roles..now Ennis' time to wrap his arms...around his now invisible Jack..

http://www.davecullen.com/forum

dave's forum has developed into something quite remarkable...have a browse...powerful stories of personal brokebacks...great passion for the film..and the joy of being able to write about individual scenes...the scene at Jack's parents knocked my socks off....the more I see the film..the more opportunity to look at the eyes...of the three...breathtaking acting..see more goosebumps...whenever I write of that scene..goosebumps...how does one become as angry and bitter as John Twist? think of his story...the layers that built up him ~ oh golly Swan..'tis only early and here I am deep in Brokeback again...at the drop of a cowboy hat I'm there...

in the forum I learnt where the shirts came from...a shop in Denver (methinks from memory)..about $50..I think it's intriguing that the label isn't on Jack's shirt ...on the hanger at the end...guess it would have been too product placementy... Wink

hugs...
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more Oscar-voting people ticked the "Crash" box ...moi? ah, I'd have ticked brokeback.. Wink

again and again I'd have ticked brokeback...
jenjen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crash was (in my opinion) the film of the year, if not the decade!

It was pleasing to see a film discussing such an unpopular issue (racism) win the Academy.

Films like Crash get every watching man and woman thinking...(and knowledge will help to break down the barriers of intolerance )

but what am I talking about Question Idea - time to make a quantum leap back to food - and that's why I keep coming back to CnZ! Bought some pomegranate molasses @ the farmers market last weekend... Laughing Cool Laughing
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brokeback won many many Best Picture Awards BAFTA etc...Crash won one..the Oscar..I'm wondering why that is...

the following from a forum about the why of it all...

I want to make the point though of why homophobia was such a factor in the Academy's choice.

The only place where BBM didn't win anything this year was the SAG Awards. As an actor who's life was transformed and professionally by this movie, and saw Heath Ledger give the best peformance by a leading actor in 16 years, I was shocked and stunned. But, the other awards kept coming so I didn't hold onto it.

However, HOW these awards are chosen matter. Although Best Picture is voted on, it is not just by producers only -- even though producers receive the award. The Producers Guild awarded other Producers. But, since the actors dominate the Academy numerically, essentially the the Actors determine the Best Picture.

This explains why there is SO much squeamishness and homophobia in the Academy: Homophobia is a way of life for so many actors. Not everyone who is homophobia is secretly gay. However, there is a culture within hollywood of denying one's sexuality and covering it up. Look at the emphasis on how brave Heath and Jake were to play gay. To tell you the Truth, Heath's bravery came from digging so far deep into his soul for the role, you wondered if he'd make it back in one piece (to paraphrase Ken Turan, who is now my favorite movie critic).

{snip}

The point is that the same that Crash appeals to actors (well, other actors than me). Since Best Picture and Best Director are separated, Best Director really goes to the crafting of a film. Best Picture really makes a statement about the overall movie. For the older actors to make the statement that Brokeback Mountain was Best Picture wouldn't be just validating its quality. It would be validating its message. The reason BBM ran into trouble in the Actor dominated awards was that IT HIT TO CLOSE TO HOME.

Voting BBM Best Picture would be making a statement, at least indirectly, that not only only is homophobia wrong for cowboys, it is wrong for city slicker actors too.

Having all these openly gay actors in Hollywood, the way they are on Broadway, is just too fearful a concept for the actor's branch at this time. How can you vote for a film that shows how wrong homophobia, when your career, or the culture of the industry where you work, is secretly based on homophobia.

Until the climate of self- censorhip and producer-censorhip changes, Actor dominated awards will be probelmatic with material that aggressively challenges homophobia and/or assumptions of who gay people are. There seems to be no problem with roles where straight men play effeminate, self-destructive or nobly dying, aesexual gay men, -- but confront homophobia or stereotypes about masculinity, and a film will have an uphill struggle.

might just be ma final Brokeback post..methinks I might have overdone it...'nuff to say that Heath and Jake in working out the characters...Heath thought Ennis would squint because of sensitivity to light...

ah, the layers....

merci for reading
David

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well written madame!!! Such insight!

Up here it was suggested before the Oscar night that Crash would win Best Picture because it would slip up the middle between BBM and Capote.

Do you think there is anything to that proposition??
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David- The "splitting the ticket" thing is very much the thinking here in the Tinseltown area, tho there are those who feel that Crash deserved it on its own merits (don't know; haven't seen BBM or Crash yet).

madame- I've heard the proposition that there is homophobia in Hollywood but I have to tell you I find that completely without merit. (Living here in this eccentric multiglot I'd say "insane" but the world is a different place so I entertain the question seriously.) 1) there is simply NOT a culture in the LA area that would support it and, 2) the arts, in all areas, are fueled by the creativity of gay people. For anyone in the entertainments area to reject gay people would be to cut off their own engine.

That isn't to say I've never met a homophobic person in entertainment or never met someone who resented someone they worked with who was gay. I have. But it was one person a long, long time ago. A second thing happens and that is a reluctance on the part of some straight actors to take a role that identifies the character as gay. Personally, I think that's understandable since some people in the public have difficulty separating a character from a person and the actor is, ever after, dogged by questions and rumors about their personal lives that detract from their work and, sadly, limit their future potential as straight leads. This is a significant practical consideration that is very a different thing than homophobia and is stopping fewer actors in their choices.

In general, there has been an enormous amount of appreciation for all involved in BBM and that needn't preclude Academy voters or the public from appreciating other films as well. This is the "cost" of the whole "awards" mentality that forgets about other worthy work as soon as one person is handed the Oscar, gold medal, title, crown, etc. ...but that's a discussion for another day.
bluedog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, I completely agree. I studied theater in college and have a handful of friends still (after 15 years) trying to make it in hollywood. so my second/third hand knowlege of this homophobic metaphor is in line with yours - ridiculous. I think the forum poster is perhaps accurate regarding a few closet cases that don't reveal their sexuality so they can continue to get leading romantic roles - very different than homophobia! And as for straight acotrs in gay roles, sex appeal is what is at risk - not sexuality! If anyone is to blame, it is the homophobic public around america, not in hollywood. let's not forget the award to hillary swank for boy's don't cry - wow.

Loved brokeback - romantic, beautiful, tragic, and agree that jack's mother was outstanding role! However, i thought that crash was a better film. i would have voted exactly the same - ang lee created something remarkable, but the final production of crash was a better film.

and of course the acting was truly amazing, would have a hard time choosing between ennis and capote. both amazing performances.
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Darling..it wan't my insight!...I found the piece on a forum...surely you could see it was't me...not a series of .................... to be seen Wink

seems Sarah Jessica Parker didn't see BBM either...I really find it amazing that voters don't bother to see ALL nominated films...amazing.....whether one is confronted by the subject or whatever...if ya vote ya watch...otherwise go get another job...I say!

Jack Twist: Tell you what. The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

that's how I'd feel if there was no dvd or video time...if I thought that tomorrow would be the last time I'd see the mountain tale...I'd feel what Jack said...

so glass raised to dvdland...roll on April!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

read a post from a guy who was watching the film and there, the minister who married Ennis 'n Alma...his acting teacher...from way back...

imagine that!

hugs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: