Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Tour de France
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Tour de France Reply with quote

I just cannot quash my amazement and PRIDE at Floyd Landis' amazing achievement in the Tour de France! Laughing Laughing Laughing

He is a incredible competitor and I just bow in awe of the determination that his performance so far has demonstrated.

This story in the SF Chronicle had me in tears over breakfast this morning!

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/07/22/
MNGIHK3TOB1.DTL

And here is the story of today's victory!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5575305

Having been in Paris for 2 of Lance Armstrong's victories, it is just a brilliant celebration. I will be praying, chanting and keeping my fingers crossed that tomorrow is Floyd's Day! I figure if we put him and Clotilde - and Rainey - in charge of things, that we could have World Peace pretty quickly. Laughing
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna - the link to the SFC didn't work. I watched the replay this morning as it is on late at night here. Although last year I watched the entire race every night and through the night just to see Lance win. If I hadn't been through cancer I would never have become interested in Le Tour. Having read Lance's books I finally understand the race and tactics and I just love the whole event now.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna I can't help but wonder at this strange new world with Floyd Landis, Rainey, and Clotilde in charge. Mostly I can't wait to watch Jon Stewart that night!

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Donna I found it under News. I'd been looking under sports.
simona

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floyd Landis, Clotilde and Rainey are cordially invited to deal with the Middle Eastern Problems. Certainly more exercise ( Floys will be in charge of that) and better food ( that's Clotilde's and Rainey's department) could be of great help! I can't wait to hear your solutions proposals.
Good luck !

No more war, I'm serious!
Zoe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna, Simona, I think you are definitely in the right direction. And we could have a Tour de Middle East once everything is sorted out! Smile

Seriously, though, having found myself with quite a bit of free time last week, I watched a lot of the cycling. What Landis did on Thursday was amazing. Good for him, and for the sport - which needs it these days.

No more war! (five sirens so far today = five too many)
Donna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! He won! Cool Cool Cool I couldn't find it on TV this morning - we don't get a lot of the cable channels. But I went to MSNBC.com and the story of his victory had been posted just 1 minute before I logged on! I will watch the news tonight. Anyway - what a true champion - not unlike Lance before him. And a reminder that sometimes we need to just keep pedaling through the pain!
BG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: This was a wild Tour de France! Reply with quote

There was just one surprise after another ... starting with the drug scandal that knocked out my [former] favorite, Ivan Basso. Then there were the many changes of leadership, and the astonishing 30-minute breakaway that put Oscar Pereiro in the yellow jersey ... what was the Phonak director thinking, to let that big a gap get away? And then of course, Floyd's "bad day" -- that was pretty horrible to watch, but anyone who's ever bonked will know what it's like and what happened ... and then the next day, when Floyd "angry Man" came roaring back. Wow!

I've bicycled in the Pyrenees, and I can tell you it's some of the hardest stuff I've ever done .. you really gain respect for the racers who do it day after day.

And next year, it'll be wide open again, since Floyd Landis must have a hip replacement now.

The Chemist in the Kitchen (sometimes)
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He won?

I didn't even realize it was time for it but I heard an account of his awful day and his triumphant day on NPR as I was driving. Their report didn't seem to cover the conclusion of the race. ...but it concludes on the 14th, no? And I must have been listening well after that... Question

In any case, chapeau, Floyd! And what must the French be experiencing with Italy taking out Zidane and then another American winning the Tour de France! Mon dieu! Shocked
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: This was a wild Tour de France! Reply with quote

BG wrote:
Floyd's "bad day" -- that was pretty horrible to watch, but anyone who's ever bonked will know what it's like and what happened ... and then the next day, when Floyd "angry Man" came roaring back. Wow!

bonked - in New Zealand has an entirely different meaning I think.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing it has the same meaning (which would only involve biking if you were very athletic, highly imaginative and had the balance and agility of a Cirque du Soleil performer Wink ) in the States.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'bonk' - hmmm, I think you're right, Barbara.

So, BG, I'll tell you what 'bonk' means to us in the Southern Hemisphere if you tell us what it means to you.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey--I'm not sure I get your new signature, but no, I don't think W cares about me. Are you saying all wars and terror and incompetence are connected through the Iraq mess? I think Bush cares about his rich crook friends, and there's nothin' worse than a rich person stealing.

Isn't it sad that all the losers of the Tour de France had to go through the same physical hell as F.L. ?

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale wrote:
Rainey--I'm not sure I get your new signature, but no, I don't think W cares about me. Are you saying all wars and terror and incompetence are connected through the Iraq mess? I think Bush cares about his rich crook friends, and there's nothin' worse than a rich person stealing.

This isn't a good spot for my political ranting since it was meant for the exhuberation of a sporting event. I've provided an explanation however comprehensible or hysterical here: http://chocolateandzucchini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1261
BG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Oops, explanation of "Bonk" Reply with quote

In American English bicyclese, it means to "hit the wall," "crack," run out of glycogen, etc. ... and suddenly feel like you can't push the pedals around one more time. Sometimes accompanied by nausea, extreme irritability (that's usually the sign that you're about to b***). But I guess I'd better stick to clinical correctness if I ever cycle in NZ!

The Chemist in the Kitchen (sometimes)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: