Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

babe's library..
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: babe's library.. Reply with quote

hi there!..oh my have I been on the go...however a few moments to catch up on c&z..

If I was magic magic magic I'd place these three books on every child's bookshelf:

Possum Magic by Mem Fox (don't get me started on how wondrous this book is! Wink )

Frog in Love by Max Velthuijs (came across it in a library in far north Queensland ~ again, wondrous)

Mulga Bill's Bicycle by A B Paterson illustrated by D Niland ( In 1972 I had the idea to illustrate the Banjo Paterson poem ‘Mulga Bill's Bicycle’. We approached the Sydney publishers, William Collins. The idea was accepted and the book was published in 1973. It is still in print - 32 years later.) Our children knew this poem by heart very very early on in their lives...they loved it..and the illustrations are priceless...

so, dear reader, if you have babes/children in your lives ~ these suggestions from Ya Ya (my grandma name) Wink

how scrumptious it is to sit and read a book to a child...how scrumptious!
Donna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Madame,

We have all been missing you! Welcome HOME!

As an elementary school reading teacher and mother of a delightful (formerly young) boy, I am a connoisseur of children's literature. I second your recommendation of Possum Magic. In fact I'd second ANYTHING that Mem Fox writes. Laughing I especially love Time for Bed as a lovely, rhythmic bed time read-aloud. It's my favorite gift at baby showers (that and Goodnight Moon, my son's favorite for many years).Tough Boris can't be beat. Winifred Gordon McDonald Partridge, Koala Lou, Hattie and the Fox, Shoes from Grandpa are all BRILLIANT and wonderful, tender, compelling stories.

Although I made a point of reading stories to Ben that had been read to me - Make Way for Ducklings, The Little Engine that Could, Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel, The Story of Ping, Caps for Sale - I am delighted that children's literature has advanced so far from the modest books that were available to me as a child. The stories and the illustrations today are just so captivating. What a wonderful invitation to become a reader when you have such lovely stories and such fabulous art!!! Laughing
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Mem Fox! And she's a local - just lives a couple of suburbs away. I have a signed first edition of Wilfred Gordon McDonald Partridge (her father's name - she went from being a 'Partridge' to a 'Fox'). It's one of my most prized possessions. Along with my signed Stephanie Alexander, and my signed Christopher Milne and my signed Matthew Reilly. Can you tell that I collect signed books?

Another of my favourite children's authors is New Zealand's Lynley Dodd with her Hairy Maclary and Slinky Malinki stories and illustrations. Even the titles are catchy, aren't they? The rhyming prose of the stories is lovely.

Great to 'see' you again Madame. Are you still heading over to The City of Churches next week?

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au

Last edited by Judy on Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps

Babar's Gallery ~ I adore this book! for young and old....a truly fascinating introduction to art..and to dear Babar...

'n yes Jude..will be there..will ring tonight Wink
hugs

'n on signed books..Margaret Fulton signed my first edition of her Margaret Fulton Cookbook...'twas sweet "yours gastronomically, Margaret Fulton"
Barbara

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boys loved Where the Wild Things Are (Maurice Sendak) and everything by Roal Dhal. They also enjoyed Charlotte's Web and White Fang.
Judy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And dear old Theodor Geisel, AKA Dr Seuss

Domesticdiva

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Children's Books Reply with quote

My recommendation for a children’s book is The Phantom Tollbooth. This is a long chapter book but very worth while to read to children of all ages. I give copies as baby gifts so that the whole family can enjoy the book. Also thank you for letting people know about Possum Magic. I am State Side and have a copy because my Uncle brought me back a copy from Down Under. It is one of my most cherished books.
Donna

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Ben was 3 - almost 4 - we were in England and I found the most beautiful book of Winnie the Pooh stories. An anthology taken from several books, but with the original E.H. Shepherd illustrations. It was as close to a Pooh picture book as I could get. I was determined that he would think of Pooh without thinking of the Disney Pooh. And, so he does! We later collected all the books and I read them to him and he loved them.

I also read all the Little House books to him - when he was pretty young -because I knew if I didn't do it while he was young, they would become "girl" stories. I read them as history stories and I knew it was a success when we visited the Smithsonian Museum of Ameriican History. He had a context for so many of the exhibitions from the Little House books. Oh - that's like the thresher that came to all the farms, that's like the general store where Laura and Mary went. It made it real for him. Years later we visited the site of the little house on the prairie , which is near where my grandmmother lived in Oklahoma.

I also read all the Narnia books to him and was required to read different voices for every character! Now that was a challenge! Laughing

This thread is bringing back such wonderful memories! Thanks Madame!
Judy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, Donna, I'm so old-fashioned I had quite forgotten that the Winnie the Pooh franchise has been taken over by Disney. We only have the pre-Disney Winnie the Pooh books. And of course, my signed copy of Christopher Milne's "The Enchanted Places"

I had also almost forgotten my favourite illustrator, Colin Thompson. He's an Englishman who now lives in Australia and every page of his picture books is an absolute delight. Very detailed, the sort of drawings where every time you look at it, you find something new.

There's a lovely story of how he came to live in Australia, which goes along the lines of...

A little primary school on the North Coast of New South Wales contacted Colin and asked him if he would visit them. He replied that he would, if they could pay his airfare to Australia, which they did by holding lots of raffles and cake stalls. Then when he was here he fell in love with the school librarian (who had probably introduced the kids to his work in the first place), married her and now they're living happily ever after.

It's interesting to compare the illustrations he has done pre and post-Australia. The newer books are much brighter, because of Australia's sunshine and generally great weather, I guess.

He's well worth a look, his work is amazing.

sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooo, Where the Wild Things Are absolutely tops my list. After that, The Little Prince, the first chapter book I read to my kiddo at the age when she was finally able to listen to a chapter or two per night, remember it and look forward to the next...Now she reads Nancy Drew on her own (*sigh*).

The Little Prince is a delightfully uplifting read at any age.
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh! I missed this topic earlier.

I completely agree that children's lit has been kicked up into high gear since the 70s but even more more recently. Such creativity among people using limited language and a short format to deliver real messages in engaging and resonating ways.

Mem Fox is now a highly and widely appreciated author among Early Childhood teachers throughout the States. Some of my favorites are Barbara Cooney who wrote Miss Rumphius — a treatise to live by — and Judith Viorst. Do you guys in Australia know Alexander and the Very Bad No Good Day? I wonder if it has the impact there that it has here where moving to Australia seems like it could be the solution to life's harder realities. Wink
Griffin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: babe's library.. Reply with quote

My absolute favourite book as a kid was Beatrix Potter's Tailor of Gloucester. I love that cat! And the mice dressed in their 18th century costume always make me smile. Also loved a book of Russian folktales my mum used to read - especially when the tale was about Baba Yaga!!

I admit to also liking Where the Wild Things Are and anything by Roald Dahl too. But there was one book that really did it for me and still reminds me of my mum and that was Theodore's Hotdog by Papas, the political cartoonist. The book was got from the library and read to my brother, sister and I as kids. I haven't seen it for years, but I'm still trying to get hold of it.

Stories were always important to me as a kid, I had a stuffed toy cat that I called Susan and used to tell my mum stories about her adventures! Now my mum's been dead for three years and I'm in my forties, but those books remind me of the connection she and I had with each other.
Donna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to jump in again and sing praises to Cynthia Rylant. Her books are so wonderful - so evocoative of a time and place. she is from the Appalachian Mountains in West virginia. The landscape is a character in most of her books. Here are some of my FAVORITES:

The Relatives Came - I hope we have all had the luxury of a house full of folks you're related to where you get hugged and kissed all the way to the kitchen! this is my fave and one that reminds me of my growing up.

when I was Young in the Mountains As I say - the land is a character

The Old Woman Who Named Things - about aging - and fear

Night in the Country

Missing May - very poignant - finding the strength to go on after a loved one dies

But I'll Be Back Again - again - Appalachia.

I could go on and on. She has also written some easy reader - the Henry and Mudge books and the Mr Putter and Tabby books.
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On subject, here's an interesting link: http://boingboing.net/

Quote:
Last week my wife's mother gave us the book collection she had as a child. It's called My Book House and was published in 1937. There are 12 volumes in the set, and I love looking at the illustrations and reading the stories to my 3-year-old daughter. So far, our favorite story is called Across the Fields, by Anatole France and illustrated by M.S. Hurford. I've posted the last two pages from the four-page story here, because they are so wonderful.

Catherine and Jack climb up above the fields on the slope of the hill where they can see all the fires of the village. It is a place which makes you realize how great the world is.
David

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it sad that so often books for children end up being categorized as "boy" books or "girl" books. I really think my life would have lacked something if I hadn't spend one summer going through the Louisa May Alcott series of books starting of course with Little Women and Nancy Drew was as exciting as The Hardy Boys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: