Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

the best of your hometown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anna

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: the best of your hometown Reply with quote

the recent post on gifts from the US got me thinking... despite the fact that i was born in detroit michigan, i feel very connected to the durham area of north carolina, where i have lived since i was seven, and where now, at 21, i plan to settle down one day. i'm a staunch localist (even the siren song of an MFA program for poetry writing in nearby virginia is giving me pause) and i try to buy local staples and foods whenever i can. there is so much food in north carolina to be had. off the top of my head i can think of: the most fragrent fresh basil ALLLL summer long, bone suckin' bbq sauce, texas pete's hot sauce and pickled chilis (stuff one in the middle of a hush puppy!), fresh shitake mushrooms from my friend jay's mushroom log, cheerwine sorbet (yes, really!) at the grocery store, KRISPEY CREME donuts (yes, this is the birthplace) amazing salmon curry with green mango and idlis with coconut coriander chutney from my friend vimala's kitchen, complex wildflower honey from my ex-boyfriend's parents farm, african tuna and peanut butter sandwiches from the skylight exchange, amazing seafood from the coast, local blackberry mead, i could go on... what foods from your home are most proud of?
kohuether

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... You mean that I personally cook or that are specialties for this region? Or both?

I made a pretty damn good pot roast the other day. Nice and tender, which is often a challenge for a pot roast.

Clam chowder. I actually don't make clam chowder. I make a seafood chowder that includes whatever I have on hand or can find at the store. My one advice for that- don't think you can make a chowder of any kind without clam juice. Wink

I LOVE real maple syrup.

Maine blueberries.
bainst

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm originally from New York, Queens to be exact, and haved lived quite literally all around the world. And even though I love fresh baguettes and brie in Beaune, France, scones and clotted cream in London, I still long for a decent "slice" on wax paper from a local pizzeria, or to hear the Mr. Softee ice cream truck jingle. However, the foodstuff I miss the most with all my heart is a hotdog from a sidewalk vendor. I know it's scary, but I just don't care. They were good.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specialties from Seattle and surrounding areas:
Chukar Cherries
Market Spice Tea
Dilletante Truffles
Smoked Sockeye Salmon
Olio Santo oils and vinegars
Almond Roca

"It's hot ham water."
Pockymonkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up near Chicago, and though I haven't lived there for years, I still find myself struck by occasional, near crippling cravings for a proper Chicago hot dog.

Even though I'm vegetarian Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: