Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

What did your mother feed you when you were sick?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: What did your mother feed you when you were sick? Reply with quote

I'm stuck with a cold that blew into the office last week. I've had no appetite for days, but now that I'm starting to run a fever, I'm starving! Whenever I got sick, my mother would always make me rice soup --- long grain rice cooked in a lot of water until it reached a watery oatmeal consistency. I'd eat that with a fried egg, Chinese pickles or a salted duck egg. Oddly enough, rice soup and a fried egg is also a typical Chinese breakfast since it's easy on a stomach that's been sleeping all night.

On that note, what special recipes did your mother make when you got sick?

http://onegirlonehouse.wordpress.com
simona

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The legendary chicken soup of course, as I am blessed with a very Jewish mother. It's called "jewish penniciline" and world famous.
But deep inside me, I believeve that whatever a mother cooks for the ailing darling is working. It's the love whithin, not the chicken, or the rice. Just plain love.
Speedy recovery, Harpo dear ( I like your nickname, I loved Harpo Marx) , at least I understand it...

No kore war, no more colds, more chicken/rice broth!
Monica

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, I hope you're feeling better now, what with the appetite kicking in.

My mom would feed me dry toast and chamomile tea. Then after a day or so, she'd slowly add in banana and some ginger ale. So, you hardly can require recipes! Laughing For years I wouldn't touch chamomile tea, since it remided me of feeling ill.
stina74

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusks with butter, and tea. That was all I wanted to eat when I was ill. And hot water with honey...

Nowadays I always crave fruitjuice, especially with a cold. I wonder if one´s body is craving what you need?
Monica

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder if one´s body is craving what you need?

I often wonder about that myself. Of course it would just showcase our differences in culture and cuisine. Because I can say for a fact that my body has never craved salted duck egg. Very Happy We all have different tastes and happy food memories that must add to the craving. Right now I could totally go for something salted, like roasted nuts or even chips. Thankfully for a change, all we have around the office is candy, so my 'diet' isn't ruined for now...
Lexi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: sick Reply with quote

chicken soup, toast, and hot black tea!!
always seemed to help.
feel better soon!
toots

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were big on hot toddies at our house with real bourbon in them thank you very much.

My mother would also make chicken noodle soup for me. And I always had 7-Up to drink (I still like a 7-Up to drink when I feel icky). I would also have cheese and crackers or plain toast.
________
EX250J

Last edited by toots on Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom is not exactly the comforting type, so my dad was the comforter of the sick. He fed my grilled cheese, vegetarian vegetable alphabet soup, ginger ale and Sleepy Time Tea.

"It's hot ham water."
anna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great topic! mmm from mama: cream of wheat with butter, salt and brown sugar, matzoh ball soup, red jello, ginger ale and saltines.
from dad: a "sling" (hot water, lemon juice and honey if my mom was sick he added whiskey).

my mom always tells the story of when i was a colicky three-month old and wouldn't stop crying no matter what she did... then one night she went out of the room for a moment and my wailing stopped-- she found out later it was because my dad had started dipping my pacifier in lime sherbert!
Dawna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switchel. It's a tablespoon of vinegar (usually apple cider or malt vinegar), a tablespoon of honey, and hot water to fill the cup. These days I add a couple of slices of fresh gingerroot, and still find it useful for phlegm-removal and sore throats, but I am told by many folk that this beverage is revolting. My significant other can't even be in the same room with it.
VictoriaLH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah another Hot Toddie drinker! Dad always made those for us when we had colds and could not sleep. That put us right out. Nowadays a parent could be locked up for giving their kids bourbon!
Mom always cut oranges up into quarters and sprinkled them with colored sugar. We also got fruit smoothies when we had sore throats, our favorite was lime flavored and had grated lime rind in it as well. Plus toast and jam
or Malt-o meal.
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of whisky as a cold remedy and my friends from Mexico swear by Tequila as well. Can anyone explain to me the healing properties of hard alcohol for a cold?

http://onegirlonehouse.wordpress.com
kohuether

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother used to feed me avgolemano soup (Greek chicken soup with egg and lemon). I also loved tomato soup. Yum.

Now? I love hot water with honey, oatmeal, and peanut butter and wheat bread with tomato juice (weird, I know but it got me through a case of mono). Smile

I drink a ton of tea when I am sick- chamomile, rooibus, peppermint... I am an herbalist so I choose a tea based on my symptoms and cravings.
David

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We didn't get too much pampering when we were sick. Your basic plain toast and flat ginger ale if the stomach was involved. If it was a chest cold it was the dreaded mustard plaster.
stefoodie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: how interesting that you should post this Reply with quote

i just posted last week about my "soul food" -- things my mom fed me when i was sick:

http://www.aboutweblogs.com/asianfood?itemid=2742
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: