Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Any ex-pats on the boards?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Any ex-pats on the boards? Reply with quote

After reading a number of posts, I've discerned that we have a number of ex-pats on the Chocolate and Zucchini boards. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them --- I was born and raised in California, but my parents are from Japan and Thailand. In honor of living abroad, as my parents have chosen to do, please post if you're an ex-pat and tell us where you're from originally and how long you've been living in your new home.

http://onegirlonehouse.wordpress.com
MissPrism

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: expat Reply with quote

I'm British - mostly Scottish, but from all over the UK - and have been living in the US (Virginia) for nearly 2 years.

I'm new to the forums, so hello everyone!
KathyD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: France and Utah Reply with quote

I bought a small house almost exactly in the center of France in January of 2003, and changed my residence in the United States from San Diego,California to Salt Lake City, Utah in January of 2004. I spend most of my time in France renovating my house, and a few weeks at a time in Utah to be with my family. Is there anyone else out there who has a "split" life. I'm happy in both places, but when I'm in one I miss the other. I know...poor little me !!! I know that I'm very lucky to enjoy the best of both cultures, and I would love to read about others who have the same experience. Thanks !!
santafescribbler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Any ex-pats on the boards? Reply with quote

Born and bred (or, as we say, bread and buttered) in Dublin, Ireland. Spent 6 yrs in London, 10 in Silicon Valley. Now in Santa Fe, New Mexico for the past 4. Lovin' it.
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was born in Australia and have lived in New Zealand since 1975 after marrying a New Zealander. Next year we plan to return to Australia to live.
Vickie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in the South of England all my life. For Christmas 2003 I decided to visit a friend in Sydney and as my Christmas present, she took me to the Hunter Valley on a wine tasting tour. While I was on this tour, I met a rather special winemaker and 7 months later, I packed up my life in England and moved over here.

I now live happily in Sydney and love the outdoor/beach lifestyle this amazing city offers, as well as the innumerable foodie delights round every corner.

And as for the winemaker.....we got married last week in the winery in which we met. Very Happy
Alisa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been living in Paris since 2002. Spent most of my life in and around Los Angeles. My last home, just before moving here was in South Pasadena, CA; before that 4+ years in a loft in downtown L.A.; before that 6 years in Topanga, before that West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and formative years in the San Fernando Valley.

I love Paris and France altogether.
I really really miss my friends.
French administration is infamous for good reason.
French social systems and cultural priorities are wonderful.
Good restaurants and food from almost anywhere outside of France, almost impossible to find.
Cultural differences are greater than they seem at first glance.
Will most likely stay until my children are are finished with school.
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet story Vickie.
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's wonderful, Vickie - Congratulations to you and your winemaker! Very Happy
dbd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vickie, how romantic!
Alisa, my history is almost exactly the same as yours. Born and raised in Los Angeles, went to college in Berkeley, lived for a short time in South Pasadena (loved that town!!), married a French guy, lived in Hollywood and the Melrose area, finally south of Pico near Fairfax, then moved to France in 2002. We ended up in the south, near Avignon. I agree with everything you say about France and will also stay at least until my daughter is finished with lycée, though not sure if I'd go back to Los Angeles, given the price of real estate!! Shocked Why did you choose to live in France?
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alisa and dbd,

I currently live in San Marino, very close to South Pasadena! What a coincidence! I love South Pasadena. It has that sweet small-town feel to it.

http://onegirlonehouse.wordpress.com
saltshaker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born and raised in midwest U.S., lived for 23 years in New York City (which is sort of like being an expat all in itself), and earlier this year moved to Buenos Aires to live.
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only genuine ex pat experience I've ever had was living in Vancouver, BC for a year on two occasions.

I'd live there tomorrow of the rest of my life if that were possible. Lovely people, lovely city, lovely country. It's what we think the best of America is but, sadly, isn't.

Aside from that, I think the entire Northwest is spectacular climatically and topographically.
Crow4ever

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was born in Australia and lived there until 1996. In November 1995 my husband was asked if he wanted to work in the US. He said "Yes," so since March 1996 we have lived in the Pacific Northwest region of the US. For the moment we are staying where we are, but in another few years we just might be back in Adelaide, South Australia.
hys

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Do Canadians living in the USA count as ex-pats??? Smile

Seriously, I was born in Hong Kong, immigrated and spent 25 yrs in MOntreal, moved to the USA for 1.5 yrs, relocated to Basel, Switzerland for 3.5 yrs and now living in the USA, in Montclair, NJ.

Still readjusting and re-integrating to life here in the USA.
I miss my Swiss friends and other ex-pat friends. The ex-pat community was wonderful in Basel.
I miss the wonderful and inexpensive wines from France and the Alsace wine trail.
I miss the special quaint villages and the proximity to other countries from Basel to the rest of Europe (1.5 hr flight to Paris! 6 hrs by train! 2 hr flight to Barcelona!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: