Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

stacks of old food mags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melinda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: stacks of old food mags Reply with quote

Any suggestions of what to do with stacks & stacks of Gourmets, Bon Appetits, etc.....??? I have a few years of these & now my son is moving back home so I need to clear space..I hate to just recycle ....but I can't keep so many
camieguimaraes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: stacks of old food mags Reply with quote

I have 2 suggestions:
1. Donate it to a public library or a community association where they can have culinary courses

2. Select the recipes and articles you love most in each of them and put it on binders (is pretty time consuming though...)

cheers!
VictoriaLH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the difficult decision to get rid of my Gourmets going back to 1971 about a year ago. I still have all issues from 2000 on, but now I am finding that epicurious.com has so many recipes from Gourmet and Bon Appetit on line, I can find things I need there. I gave mine to the local St Vincent de Paul, but libraries will sometimes take them as well as shelters.
The most painful part is actually doing it, once they are gone, it feels kind
of liberating!
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself a recipe management database. Then thumb through those mags and see which recipes you really want to keep or try. Look them up on Epicurious.com and import them to the database. I've never not found a Bon Appetit or a Gourmet recipe listed. Some will even have photos. Most Epicurious versions will also have reader comments that may pique your motivation to finally try them or cast a more practiced eye on them and save you the trouble.

There are also websites where transcribed recipes from other goumet sources are available to download.

For a recipe db have been using MacGourmet and I'm quite happy with it. If you have a PC I think there are a world more of possibilities including the ubiquitous MasterCook.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rip out the recipes I want and either put them into a binder or file cabinet, then recycle the leftover. Yes you are still recycling but it reduces the amount.

"It's hot ham water."
creampuff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you have harvested what you want to save, donate the magazines to a local child care, school art or after school program. They love to use them for collages and other projects.
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creampuff, I was thinking of making the same suggestion. So many beautiful, colorful pictures - perfect for arts & crafts projects! And maybe it'll inspire some future foodies...
melinda

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merci.....many good ideas.......have a call in to a local technical institute that teaches 11th and 12th graders culinary skills and will go for the pre-school thing next......many thanks y'all
Coco

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recipe software too. I have yet to use it though! LOL!

If you have a scanner, you could scan your favorite recipes and burn the pages to a disc.

I always donate my magazines to the local library. In fact, that's where I pick up most of my 'new' magazines! They're only 20 cents there and I can scoop up magazines I might not ordinarily buy. Love them.

I found a great Bon Appetit May 2003 issue there with the cover story: The Soul of Mexico. Beautiful! What a score!!! Many times people will clear out their old stored mags, just like you, and it's a dream come true to be able to snag copies with fascinating topics.

One thing about food: It never goes out of 'style'! Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: