Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

garlic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Green Chili

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: garlic Reply with quote

A few years ago I took a wonderful cooking class near Agen, France. One of the things we were taught was to ALWAYS remove the little"plant' from inside the garlic bulblet. We were told that it is bitter. I have never heard of this since and Julia Child and Jacques Pepin don't mention it anywhere I've looked. What is the consensus on this? Green Chili
Monica

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I heard this once too! In passing on some Food Network show I can't even recall. Sometimes I actually do it, about half the time I'd say. I think you're more likely to risk bitterness by overbrowning the garlic than bothering to slice out the green stem.
luyten

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: garlic sprout Reply with quote

In Joel Robuchon's wonderful Simply French, there is a discussion of removing the germ from the garlic clove, especially in things that stay raw such a celeri remoulade - it will become alcoholic and bitter. In my experience , he's right.
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember where I read or heard this, but I remove the 'little plant'/germ if it is beginning to show green color or is especially large or different in texture from the rest of the clove. I do remember that the reason for removal was bitterness. I'd rather remove than have bitterness in a recipe where it isn't intended.

Several times recently, I've read recipes that instruct to cook chopped garlic in oil until it is brown, which I was taught never to do, as this also causes bitterness.

It's fascinating to me how garlic can have so many different flavors depending on how it's prepared, regardless of other flavors within the recipe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: