Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Corn Chowder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Corn Chowder Reply with quote

This is a family favorite from that one-a-week cookbook my m-i-l got in a grocery store and I found after she died. I haven't made it in ages and my husband asked for it this morning. I hadn't put it into my recipe database and I have to type it out anyway so I thought I'd do it here.

The original recipe is in plain text. I've added my adjustments in italics.

Corn Chowder from Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery 1966
makes 2 quarts

• 8 ounces salt pork, diced this is very New England but harder to find in other parts of the country these days. Regular bacon does fine and trims of procciutto or pancetta are also great
• 2 onions, chopped
• a clove of roasted garlic mashed into onions adds depth to the flavor if you have some onhand
• 1/2 cup chopped celery with the tops
• 1/2 bay leaf, crumbled
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 4 cups water
• 3 cups diced potato I use thin-skinned waxy potatoes and leave the skins on
• 1 can (one 1-pound, 1-ounce can) cream-style corn (I'm not sure this size can is still available; I use a 14.75-ounce can)
• I also use one can niblets corn with liquid for the crisp texture
• 2 cups evaporated milk I use one 12-ounce can and some milk, half and half, or whatever is on hand. Non-fat evaporated milk works fine
• salt and pepper to taste
• chopped parsley
• paprika

In a large kettle, cook salt pork until browned and crisp. Remove pork, and pour off all but 3 tablespoons of fat. Add onions, celery & tops and bay leaf and cook for 5 minutes. Blend in flour. Add water, salt & pepper and potatoes; bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Add corn and milk; heat well. Season. Add pork. Correct salt & pepper. Serve with parsley and paprika.

Rainey's notes: I fry up additional bacon/procciutto/pancetta and put it aside for spinach salad which is a good choice to hold up to this hearty soup. I also add the cooked pork back in with the corn and allow it to flavor the soup. I'm not interested in it having any crispiness.

The soup is best made a day ahead. Sitting allows the flavors to develop and the soup base to thicken up.

This chowder, a crispy salad and homemade bread with a bit of cheese make a great winter evening meal. When we use to ski, I took a crockpot and a breadmaker along so these things could be making themselves in the condo while we beat ourselves up on the slopes. It was great and I (but NOT my knees!) miss those days!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Bedazzling Reply with quote

Rainey wrote:
I haven't made it in ages and my husband asked for it this morning.

Your remarks are so pointy and enlightened that I almost lost my sight. NOT.

Online poker companion Netherlands Florists

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a rude guest.

Rainey this sounds delicious. In Australia we used to eat creamed corn, but I cannot find it here. My Mum bought a few tins in her luggage, but I fear they will not last long.

I am putting this recipe in my file for when I get my hands on a big can of creamed corn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: