Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Cranberry sauces or chutneys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nineflights

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Cranberry sauces or chutneys Reply with quote

Hello, I'm looking for a really divine cranberry recipe for the holidays. Something different from the old standard cran/orange/brown sugar concoction. Anyone have any suggestions for where to find a new recipe or research creating my own?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the "usual" recipe (which I don't like very much) of 1 bag (12-16 oz) cranberries, 1 orange, 1 c. sugar, nuts optional, I started experimenting. That version was way too sweet for my taste, and often overcooked and mushy. I've come up with a version that can be either cooked or prepared raw in the food processor, according to your preference. It has a couple of less-traditional differences. Here's what I did last year:

1 pkg fresh cranberries
juice and grated zest of 1 orange
1/2 c. sugar
1-2 tblsp. orange liqueur
chopped candied ginger to taste
1/2 c. chopped toasted hazelnuts

If you cook it, take it off the heat when the cranberries first start to pop, don't overcook it. This tastes best made a day ahead to let the flavors blend, with the exception of adding the nuts. I add them shortly before serving so the texture doesn't get lost. Feel free to be creative! I'd like to try this with blood oranges, different nuts, and maybe some additional spices. Hope this helps!
melinda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: popular at my house Reply with quote

1 lb cranberries
1 15 oz pack golden raisins
1 orange (i chop to bits in processor...skin & all)
recipe calls for lotsa sugar....so to ur taste
half cup cider vinegar
ginger, cloves, cinnamon
cook to ur liking, keeps a long time in fridge

I have also cooked cranberries in port till it gets to consistency u like...with sugar if u want
kiki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: cranberry sauce Reply with quote

Hi there,
last year my brother in law and I mixed up several different recipes (cumberland sauce, chutney.....) and it was really good:

-bag of cranberries
-juice & zest of one orange
-1 tbls of chopped crystalized ginger
-1/4 cup of raisins (or sour cherries, dried blueberries, etc) soaked for a bit in hot port
-dash of Colemans mustard
-a few ground cloves
-dash of really potent balsamic
-1/2 cup or to taste of sugar (although I think we used some honey too)
-splash of red wine or more to taste

we cooked it all up together until the cranberries started to pop. We made it the day before to develop the flavors. We had also told ourselves that we would add some candied orange peel next time. On the other hand, we are toying with the idea that this year we would make it a bit more savory and add some carmelized shallots and roasted garlic too......

-Kiki
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just going to buy some chutney, but now I think Kiki's recipe is a better idea!

"It's hot ham water."
Juliet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:24 am    Post subject: Cranberry Recipe Reply with quote

I have made this recipe from the San Francisco Chronicle Cookbook (recipe created by Laxmi Hiremath) for a few years now at Thanksgiving and it always gets raves. It's just different enough that it makes people notice! It will keep for months in the refrigerator - just put in a clean glass jar with tight fitting lid. Makes a nice holiday gift too.

Hot and Sweet Cranberry-Tangerine Chutney

1 bag (12 ounces) cranberries, stemmed and washed
2 small tangerines (unpeeled), halved, seeded and cut into 1/4" wedges
(I use the seedless Satsuma Mandarin Oranges for this - and briefly chop in food processor)
l/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 green cardamom pods, husked and seeds ground (OK to use powdered spice instead, but be sure it is very fresh)
1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine all the ingredients in a large, heavy nonaluminum pan.
Cook over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves.
Increase the heat and boil until the cranberries pop, 3 to 4 minutes.
Remove from heat.
When completely cool, spoon the chutney into sterilized jars.
Heat seal or cover and refrigerate.
Let chutney ripen for at least 2 days before serving.
Serve at room temperature.

YIELDS 3 CUPS
Madeleine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very, very simple recipe from Bon Appétit, Nov. 1998. As per the name, it's not at all too sweet.

Piquant Cranberry Sauce

1 cup water
1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1 twelve-ounce bag of cranberries
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (Maille is my favorite)
pinch of salt

Combine the water and brown sugar in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add cranberries. Simmer until berries burst, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in thyme, mustard, and salt. Cool completely. Can be made 3 days ahead; cover and refrigerate.

Makes about 2 1/2 cups.

It's best to make it a couple days ahead of time; it tastes better when the flavors have really come together.
cranberry sauce/relish

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For many years I have used then recipe for cranberry relish, very similar to those posted (Fresh cranberries, chopped in food processor,nuts,sugar,whole orange chopped in food processor, sugar to taste)
Mine is not cooked. everything is raw. The addition is one package of any kind of red jello. Adjust sugar accordingly, as the jello is sweet. Makes it all a lovely pink color and tastes very good.
helenekr
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine isn't terriby different than the one you describe that you'd prefer to avoid but my family really likes it. I don't make it really sweet. I just finished it for Thanksgiving dinner and I'm already looking forward to tasting it again. I think it began many years ago with a basic package-back recipe but it's evolved into my own.

I grate the rind from an orange with a rather coarse grater and set it aside. I sqeeze the juice into a measuring cup and add water to make 1 cup. I put:
• the liquid
• a pinch of salt
• 10-12 ounces of cranberries (fresh are excellent, frozen work OK too)
• a Granny Smith (tart green) apple that's been peeled, cored and chopped into small dice
into a medium-size heavy bottomed pan and boil until the cranberries pop. When they have, I add:
• 3/4 - 1 cup of granulated sugar (begin with a minimal amount and add more to taste) (my recipe suggests up to 2 cups of sugar but I don't think I've ever used more than 1)
and bring back to a boil for several minutes. Taste and correct the sweetness.

Test for consistency by turning over your stirring spoon and dragging a finger through the syrup. The chutney will be right when the syrup does not run into the trace left by your finger. If it still seems too runny, it will firm as it cools.

Remove the pot from the heat, stir in the orange zest, a handful of pecan pieces and some Grand Marnier to taste.

It can be made very quickly but I still perfer to do it several days ahead. I pour it into a large, clean glass jar that I heat up with boiling water (to avoid thermal shock) and store it in the refrigerator. It keeps well in the fridge for up to a month.

It's wonderful on cold turkey sandwiches and I've also used it as a topping for a cheesecake. It has a brilliant, jewel-like color that I also like. It could probably be molded if you boiled it a tad more or added some pectin.

I'm intrigued by someone's mention of adding Dijon mustard. What prevents me from trying it for Thanksgiving is how I anticipate it could "muddy" the lovely color. But that bit of bite sounds so good I might make some more up after the holiday and try adding it.
monkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of the ordinary? look no further! don't be lulled into a false sense of security by the festive pink color, this relish is far from sweet and innocent. it is a bold savory accompaniment that plays well well with turkey, ham, venison or beef and is tantalizing on leftover turkey sandwiches. people either love or hate this relish and they never know until they taste it.

mama stamberg's cranberry relish

2 cups raw cranberries
1 small onion (i like a sweet onion)
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup of sour cream
2 T of horseradish

berries and onion get chopped in food processor (or food mill/grinder), then mix in a bowl with the remaining ingredients. it will be an astounding pink. put in freezer in an airtight container and thaw in the refrigerator the morning of your feasting.

graphic step by step instructions staring me are at http://www.himonkey.net/cooking/stamberg/index.html .

nothing brings primates together like a good snack!
www.TheresAMonkeyInTheKitchenAndHesGotAKnife.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: