Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Corian countertops?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Corian countertops? Reply with quote

Hi all!

Maxence and I are preparing for a kitchen remodel, and we are contemplating Corian countertops (in a solid white or off-white color).

I was wondering if some of you had experience with that material, and whether it gave you satisfaction.

It would be used both on the countertops, and on the bar that we use for most of our meals.

I've read the best and the worst about it, which is confusing, so I'm hoping to get more insight to help me make a decision.

I don't really mind the low resistance to heat as our current laminate countertops can't take it either, but what I'd like to know in particular is:

- Does it stain easily (red wine, etc.) or is is easy to clean? (Especially important as ours would be white.)
- Does it scratch easily?
- I read somewhere was that you had to keep the countertops dry (after cleaning or spilling) to avoid water stains. Is that something you confirm?

Basically, we're looking for something easy to live with, scratch-resistant and durable (aren't we all!), and I'd love to hear whether you think Corian would fit the bill.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice!
Clotilde.
dory

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents have white Corian countertops. Overall I like them. They have a nice "feel" to them, and do not scratch easily. However, I find that they tend to stain a bit and get dingy with time. I think my mom uses really strong cleaners to combat this. I once accidentally leaned against her counter when it had some cleaner residue on it and had to throw away my shirt. Even with that I think they do not look as pristine as they did when new. If I, personally were going to use Corian I would choose a color other than white.

Dory
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, Dory, that's very good to know.

The idea of having to use a strong cleaner (strong enough to ruin your shirt :/ ) is a definite turnoff, as this is the surface on which I'd be handling foods (I'd be using a cutting board, but still), rolling out tart dough, kneading bread, etc.

Maxence and I went out to see some Corian countertops "in the flesh" at a showroom on Saturday, and the one we saw (it was white) didn't look great -- it had many small scratches all over that were quite visible under the light.

We are now considering quartz for the countertops, and would then stick with Corian only for the surface of the bar, which has an angled shape that would benefit from the fact that Corian can be molded in whatever shape one wants without visible seams or junctions.

Thanks again for weighing in, Dory, and if anyone else has thoughts to share, I'd love to hear them!
georgia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Clotilde! I cast my vote for granite. I've had my "absolute black" granite countertops now for more than 10 years and they still look perfect. I do, of course, exercise a moderate amount of care and precaution (no hot pots from the stove, for example), but in general, they require little extra care. When we were planning our kitchen remodel, I loved the look and idea of marble, but marble tends to stain (e.g., wine) and absorb oils, etc., so I reluctantly crossed that one off the list. I wanted a natural material, so I didn't pursue Corian or its relatives. But granite works for me -- just adding my voice. Good luck with your planning.
swan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Clotilde - oh - I've been dreaming of remodelling kitchens! So much fun - and so much work - and so many decisions!

I would also vote for 'hard' countertops. I'm not sure what the make is - but in NL I have at home a countertop made from I think quarts, grinded down and mixed with 'something else I don't know', but' made' into a lot of different colours. Mine is almost black with a littke grey and white coming through, it looks like granite, and works perfect! No waterstains, no foodstains, more or less heatresistent (I don't leave things on for long but if you just have to put them down for a couple of minutes no problem) and easy to clean. After twelve years the kitchen needs some work - the countertops are still perfect!
I'm sure you either know already or can find out what the name of this material is.
My sister has the same thing in a whitish-cream colour and is also still happy with it.
It behaves just like granite or marble (is nice and cool for kneading). It is , unfortunately - not the most 'economy' solution, but I'm glad I did splurge on that.
Have fun remodeling!
Donna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had white Corian in my last kitchen and LOVED it! I loved the clean bright look and I never had a single stain or burn or scratch - and I was not super fussy. I took normal precautions. The guy who fabricated the counter tops made me a cutting board from the sink cut-out - and I brought it with me to this house and use it ALL THE TIME and it is still in perfect condition - easily 15 years or so. It looks used, but not gouged or badly scratched. I highly recommend it!
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the additional comments !

Georgia - We looked into granite and it does sound like a great material -- my mother has it in her kitchen now, and she loves it too. But from an aesthetic point of view, and because of the tiles we want to use on the walls, we need the countertops to be a solid light color (white or light gray), so we've had to rule it out.

Swan - I think what you describe is what countertop manufacturers call quartz, and we're considering it. Thanks for reporting back on its usability!

Donna - That's great to hear, thanks -- I hope I get a bonus cutting board too. Smile
Rachel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Clotilde, if you can stand to have one more opinion - my mom has Corian countertops (white) for 17 years now and they're still in great shape. I've never noticed any problems with staining, and I've never used, or seen her use, any cleaner stronger than vinegar and water or an eco-friendly kitchen cleaner on them. And as Donna says, the bonus cutting boards are a nice plus!

Good luck with the remodeling, whatever you end up choosing!
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for chiming in, Rachel -- and considering we're about to spend a couple thousand euros on these countertops, I can never have too many opinions. Smile
georgia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiming in again...though my own kitchen has granite, a relative of mine has remodeled three kitchens -- and each time she's chosen Corian. That's certainly a testimony, don't you think?
Fionna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corian has become the ultimate new material for kitchen and bathroom counter tops. It is very durable, beautiful, practical and versatile. Commercial applications such as hospitals are increasingly using Corian products for hypoallergenic, non-toxic, aseptic and hygienic surfaces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: