Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

London
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fannie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Indian food, I hands down recommend the Bombay Brasserie in South Kensignton (tube: gloucester road)
140 Courtfield Close, Courtfield Road,
LONDON, SW7 4UH
Tel. 0871 075 8752

It is pricey but well worth it, in a sumputous Britsh Colonial decor, generous portions and all around fabulous food.

If you like high tea, I recommend the tea at the Lanesborough Hotel at Hyde Park Corner. The tea room is decorated in a chinoiserie theme and under a glass atrium. The traditional tea comes with tea sandwiches, scones, tea cakes, French pastries and a pot of your choice of tea.

enjoy!
http://tricoquine.blogs.com
woodstocker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fannie, after briefly exploring your link, i have concluded that a) i loooove your woven tags b) marriage freres do have a gret selection (have you tried the roi de earl grey? somewhat like lady grey, but more citrus, with the most stunning blue flowers) and c) i KNEW there was a reason i was in britain, afternoon tea has always been a favorite of mine! Surprised if only i knew someone to teach me to knit while i'm here in cashmere capital of the world. my mom crochets but that's not the same!
woodstocker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

back again, anybody know a good area to shop? obviously a stop at Harrod's is a must, Bond St is a maybe, just to say "i've been there," any other areas? I've heard Soho is more like Greenwich Village in NYC (?). thanks!
Vickie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Covent Garden is good for shopping - try there. It's also fun just to have a wander round.

To get the most "I've been there" out of Bond Street, check out South Molton Street, a little pedestrianised street just by Bond Street Station.

Oxford Street is home to an absolutely enormous TopShop (right opposite the (Oxfor Circus) tube exit - one of them, anyway!!). I don't know if you've discovered the joys of this shop yet, but check it out if you're looking for clothes.

Harrods is definitely a must, and being into food, make sure you spend some time wandering round the food halls. Other great department stores are Fortnum & Mason (Piccadilly) and Liberty (Regent Street, just off Oxford Circus...this is one for if you've just visited TopShop!) While you're in that area, have a wander down Carnaby Street, which was the heart of the scene in the 60s. A bit full of tourist tat now, but high on the "I've been there" stakes.

Soho is fun, right near Covent Garden and Piccadilly - worth checking out.

Grab yourself a copy of Time Out to find out what's on in the evening you might fancy, as well as details of all the exhibitions etc you could want and recommendations on where to eat. If you're a theatre fan, there are cheap last minute ticket places in Leicester Square (one right by the tube station) and a few others.

Hotel-wise, you should be able to get a good deal at the Corus - they have winter specials.

I'm feeling a touch homesick now!!!!
woodstocker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the good tips vickie. i know about the homesick thing, i was checking out some local shops and came across a place where they bottle oils, vinegars and liquers right on the premises. after you taste them all and decide which ones you like! suddenly i wanted the garlic and herb olive oil from this cafe in Little Italy (served with lots of fresh bread of course!). o, for a decent hard roll.
woodstocker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm staying in kensingston, right across the street from the gardens. anything good in the area? restaurants, shops? off to the big city by myself Cool , my flat mate can't come Sad .
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodstocker,
What hotel are you staying at? Ours is right there too, on Lancaster Gate. I want a full report of the area when you get back.

"It's hot ham water."
fannie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the compliments Woodstocker. (as for knitting, a good place to begin would be the Stitch n Bitch group in Edinburgh --they might be able to teach you, or at least direct you to someone who can http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cityknitty/)

I was last in London in October and we stayed just a few blocks from the High Street Kensignton tube. There are plenty of chain stores along Kensignton High Street (Marks&Spencer, TopShop, Lush, etc) but I remember there being some lovely boutiques and antique shops on Kensignton Church Street (we walked along this street to get to Notting Hill--quite a lovely walk). I also remember there being lots of fun places in Notting Hill --around Pembridge Village /Westbourne Grove.

And you should definetly take a trip to Old Spitafield's market at Liverpool St Tube stop. It has everything--street food, vintage clothes, second hand books etc.

cheers
http://tricoquine.blogs.com
woodstocker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, I'm staying at the Thistle Kensington Palace, which is really 3 blocks from the Palace, but who's counting? I leave Thurs. morning, come back on Sat. I'll def. post how it all went and any good finds.

ps- because i have to tell somebody, my dad totally made my valentine's day and sent me two flower arrangements! Razz
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodstocker,
I remember seeing that hotel on hotels.com, I hope you like it. I think ours is the Regent Place or something like that.

Yay for flowers and dad's! There is something even more special when your dad does something like that for you. A few years ago mine sent me the Biography Channel's documentary on Harrison Ford, (childhood crush), it wasn't big just thoughtful. I think we got lucky woodstocker!

"It's hot ham water."
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wrong it is the London Guards.

"It's hot ham water."
woodstocker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erin, you're totally right about getting lucky. i wouldn't swap him for the world. (i will excuse my complete mushiness as a side effect of valentine's day Wink )

off to start dinner- tortolini, mushrooms, (maybe some shrimps) with cream sauce. apples with puff pastry, topped with Green & Blacks organic vanilla ice cream for dessert. drool.
woodstocker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found a really good japanese/pan-asian restaurant on Kensington High Street. although its a walk, almost to olympia, it was very reasonably priced. for unlimited tea, an appetizer (veg. spring rolls) and singapore rice noodles w/ chicken/pork/&shrimp, it was 9 pounds. this was a lot of food (hey, i hadn't eaten since early in the morning) and it prob. would have been enough for a light lunch for 2. but those spring rolls....yumm.

of course check out Harrod's Food Halls, and eating there isn't so bad. you could go for afternoon tea, or ice cream. but beware, they close at 7 sharp, and the kitchens close at 6.30!
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The countdown has begun, this time tomorrow I will be heading to JFK to board my plane for London!!! The anticipation is killing me!

"It's hot ham water."
woodstocker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take dramamine, even if you don't get air sick, there's bound to be some unfortunate soul that wants to keep you awake. believe me, its happened multiple times! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: