Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

China - Beijing and Shanghai

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: China - Beijing and Shanghai Reply with quote

I received THE most amazing and unexpected Christmas present ....

A return ticket to China in March!

I'm still in a slight state of shock, but can't wait to get over there and start exploring.

We fly to Beijing and fly home from Shanghai 2 weeks later. What we do in those 2 weeks is up to us. Visits to the Great Wall and the Forbidden City are on the list of must-do's, but I'd love to hear from anyone who has spent time in either city -

where did you stay?

where and what did you eat?

where did you go?

We're catching the overnight train (deluxe sleeper!) from Beijing to Shanghai, as we love train trips.

Thanks in advance.

And I thought 2006 was going to be a quiet year ....

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Lady Amalthea

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: China - Beijing and Shanghai Reply with quote

I have never been to China, but I just wanted to say congrats and I can't wait to hear about your adventures! I'll ask my partner if he has any recommendations, though I think he knows Hong Kong best.
Above all--have fun!

Last edited by Lady Amalthea on Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
swan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will get back to you as for now I don't have much time but I have to say this: you HAVE to include the terracotta army in Xi'an......HAVE TO!!!!!!
there's an overnight train from Beijing to Xi'an, and I flew from there to Shanghai but I'm positive there's another night train as well, and it's an experiende and place not to be missed. I very much enjoyed the city of Xian as well, it added so much to the China-experience!! Think about it,it could be done in one day (arrive in the morning, excursion to the army, nighttrain to Shanghai, but I would reccommend one extra day in Xi'an. I stayed in the Belltower hotel in the middel of town and it was SO great!!! the arab quarter in the city was almost the most 'chinese'experience for me in my two-week trip.

the trains by-the-way are of good quality, clean, new, comfortable, well the night train from Beijing was!

I'll get back to you with more,and details, either here or in PM, but really it's worthwile to give up a day in Shanghai for this. Truly!!!!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I have yet to visit China, I have seen the terracotta soldiers in an exhibit about 15 years ago. Take Swan's advice , they are amazing.

"It's hot ham water."
simona

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take your coat. It's quite cold in March.

Bon voyage
CP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My picks for food in Shanghai & Beijing revolve around the same thing - kebabs.

In Shanghai, there are a handful of street vendors from the Uyghur people of Xinjiang province which is in the far western part of china. They cook wonderful lamb kebabs a charcoal grill which come with or without a nan style bread. Super inexpensive and tasty. Most of the Uyghur food stands are within a few blocks of each other and right downtown in walking distance from the major hotels. I don't have my guidebook on me, so I can't give you the streetname, but will look it up and post it later.

As much as I love the Uyghur kebabs, the Mongolian kebabs I had in Beijing were without a doubt the best I'd ever had. Was taken to a Mongolian restaurant (the whereabouts of I have no idea) and dined on several different styles of kebabs served on long sword-like skewers. I also saw these kebabs were available at the nightmarket in downtown Beijing.

Enjoy your trip
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're heading off on our China adventure today. The hotels have been booked and we have our tickets for an overnight sleeper train between Beijing and Shanghai. Unfortunately our Deluxe Soft Sleeper berths were cancelled because it's the end of a Communist Party session and their members might need them, so we have been downgraded to ordinary soft sleepers.

We're staying close to the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square in Beijing, and near Nanjing Rd and Renmin Park in Shanghai. We would have love to stay at the Peace Hotel in Shanghai, but even at this time of year it's too much money to spend on somewhere to sleep. I'd rather spend the money on eating and ... shopping.

Drop into our blog and catch up on our travels

www.catchusifyoucan.info

See you in a couple of weeks!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
MarieC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CP wrote:
My picks for food in Shanghai & Beijing revolve around the same thing - kebabs.

In Shanghai, there are a handful of street vendors from the Uyghur people of Xinjiang province which is in the far western part of china. They cook wonderful lamb kebabs a charcoal grill which come with or without a nan style bread. Super inexpensive and tasty. Most of the Uyghur food stands are within a few blocks of each other and right downtown in walking distance from the major hotels. I don't have my guidebook on me, so I can't give you the streetname, but will look it up and post it later.

I agree. I've been working here in Shanghai for the past 2 years and nothings beats a good Xinjiang lamb skewer. Very affordable and quite tasty! Other Xinjiang dishes you've got to try: Hand pulled noodles with mutton and tomato sauce, Tiger Salad, Lamb shanks.

Another good place to try in Shanghai is Dong Bei Ren. It's a restaurant specializing in Northern cuisine. Heaps of corn pancakes, mutton legs and they open your beer bottles with chopsticks!

Mi amor tiene dos vidas para armarte.
Por eso te amo cuando no te amo
y por eso te amo cuando te amo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: