Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

savory duck breast?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bakerswife

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: savory duck breast? Reply with quote

Does anyone have a good recipe for duck breast that doesn't involve fruit? I bought some "magret de canard" at the store here and now don't know what to do with it! I have nothing against fruit/poultry combinations in general, but I'm craving something savory. TIA!! Very Happy
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love to grill duck breast with dijion mustard, tarragon and a touch of chili. It isn't a real set recipe just give the breast a light coating of the before mentioned, grill and either eat as is or slice on the bias and serve over a bed of mixed greens dressed with vinagrette. I always add the fresh tarragon to the vinagrette as well to tie them together a bit more.

Five spice is also yummy on roast duck. Serve it up with some lightly steamed or sauteed baby bok choy, so good!

"It's hot ham water."
Expat Chef

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Gnocchi with Duck and Porcini Mushroom Ragout Reply with quote

This is from my web site ... I just posted it on Sunday. You can find a few other recipes on the site and some humor as well. Here's the recipe:

Gnocchi with Duck and Porcini Mushroom Ragout
4 duck breasts skin-on
1 strip of bacon
3 shallots, chopped
3 oz. tomato paste
8 sprigs of fresh thyme
1/2 cup red wine
1/2 oz. dried porcini, steeped for 1/2 hour in 1 cup of boiling water
2 oz glace de canard (duck demi-glaze)
3 tbs. butter
black pepper to taste
shavings of parmesean for garnish
2 packages good prepared gnocchi

Heat a heavy skillet and lay in the bacon slice to render the fat. Fry until crisp, and remove bacon. Lay in duck breasts, skin side down. Do not move around, just let them lay there until the skin is golden brown and crisp. Then turn them over and sear the other side until golden brown. Remove duck and let rest on plate. This is where you could, could, pour off some of the fat in the pan. Resist this temptation. Yield to the duck fat. Add chopped shallots and saute until golden brown.

Deglaze pan with wine (fancy word for pour in the wine and stir the brown bits up off the bottom). Add the tomato paste, glace de canard, thyme and stir. Add the mushrooms (not the liquid at this point). Strain the remaining liquid from the mushrooms to remove any grit, reserving the liquid. Add the strained liquid to the pan. Slice the duck breasts and cut into bite-sized pieces, add to pan. Crumble the bacon slice in as well. Cook for about 15 more minutes until duck is cooked through, you can serve duck medium rare, but let it cook in the braising liquid to get flavor. Add pepper to taste. Swirl in the butter to finish the sauce.

Now, you might be thinking, with all that duck fat, why do I need butter, too? Yield to the butterfat. The richness rounds out the sauce and gives it shine and extra flavor. The French call this "monter au beurre." Literally, "finish with butter." I call it another 50 grams of saturated fat well worth the worry.

Boil water and prepare gnocchi per package directions. Spoon cooked gnocchi into the duck sauce pan and toss to coat. Garnish with parmesean shavings. Serve with a nice red, something with a bit of body to stand up to the duck sauce.

Glace de canard (duck demi-glaze) is not easy to find unless you have a great grocery store. Try finding it online. Or, you can substitute beef base, but just 1 tbs. and it will not need salt as the base usually has a fair bit of salt in it. It will not be as good, but it won't be too darn shabby either. Nothing comprised of wine, porcini, duck fat and butter could taste too bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: