Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Confessions of a Bad Packer.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be wonderful, I need all the help I can get. I have a habit of over packing then buying things that are too heavy to haul around, (30lb mortar and pestle), dislocating shoulders and getting very cranky. I really want to spare Phil from this.
Our last trip together was terrible because I was deleriously sick, I want to make sure this one is better.

"It's hot ham water."
Elizagard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Mailing Reply with quote

I've never actually bought anything large and heavy while travelling, but consider asking the store if they will ship. Things that you can bring back with you more easily include jewelry (esp. earrings), tablecloths/napkins, clothes, shoes, and so on. Before I learned how to pack (and BTW, I never do feel frumpy), I mailed things home to myself.

Elizabeth
minkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am following this thread with baited breath. I've only gotten to travel overseas once so far -- April in Paris -- and the only thing I can attest to is the beauty of a wool wrap. It was extra warmth, blanket on trains/planes, head cover for light showers.

My next trip is my honeymoon in July: two weeks tooling around from Nice to Arcachon Very Happy With one bag Shocked Is this possible?
Erin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Minkey, on your impending wedding. What a wonderful way to spend your honeymoon.

"It's hot ham water."
Donna

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin,

We are all waiting to hear how the packing goes! I, too, am guilty of lugging too many shoes! We are going to Ireland and England in April and I am planning on taking 2-3 pairs of black slacks and some cashmere and cotton sweaters to coordinate and provide color. I'm planning on taking one pair of lace up boots - for walking and bad weather - and one pair of cute flats for dressy dinners. I love the idea of the pashmina - which dresses up any outfit! My goal is to get down to one suitcase for the two of us - I just HATE looking like a gypsy as we traipse through airports and train stations! Embarassed

My husband is worse than I am and will pack anything that's not nailed down on the theory that "We might need it!". I have been in tears on many a journey with him as we try to lug everything!

Anyway - keep us posted on your planning! When do you leave?
Erin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna,
My husband can usually get by with his North Face backpack. He even used it for a two week trip, sure it was to Hawaii but still two weeks! This time we are sharing the large suitcase and bringing a carry on each. My carry on will be filled with goodies for my friend , but that is also the one I am bringing for treasures. When we hop over to Paris and Prague I am only bringing the carry on, I am still freaked at the thought but with all of the suggestions I am starting to feel a bit more comfortable.

"It's hot ham water."
VictoriaLH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only my husband was like that, mine has to take all of his recording equipment, a small stereo and lord knows what else. I used to carry things for every inevitability until one year my luggage was stamped "Heavy" and
I felt like such a loser! I could barely handle it! Now I carry one rolling bag and a tote for personal items i need on the plane. I can agree with the pashmina advice, I never go anywhere without them.

I am going to Paris solo in March, so I have to go light and lean, no one to whine to when my back starts to hurt.

Everyone pretty much said the same things I would add, except I went to Italy last year thinking I was bringing home a cat. It fell thru but the Delta Pet carrier I bought with me was great for bringing home fragile foods that might have otherwise been crushed. I used it for my carry on. The only problem was the panicked security screener who thought I was putting my pet thru the Xray machine! she said you would be suprised at how many people do that. Yeesh!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memories returning....Vienna..the end of 10 amazing weeks on the road...NZ, USA, France, Italy, Austria....

my bag was literally falling apart...I somehow or other found some tape to bind it.....walking in light snow to the train station...bump bump bump..."pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee don't fall apart!" ....in the bag? an old baseball mitt I'd discovered in a shop in Athens, Georgia...plus a pair of kid evening gloves..HOW could a hand be that small? the spoon a darling woman in Orange gave to me...soul memories...

this from my daughter:

Your packing style is in need of a porter on a backpackerÂ’s budget.

If you want the visual to accompany this, think of when we met up again in Los Angeles after a week apart, ready for our 7am flight. I had my suitcase and handbag. You had six separate items, not one of which held all your film canisters.

Wink ah, Sophie, you know me toooooooooo well! It's her birthday today...given that this site is so very good at cyberspacey best wishes etc, I'm sure Sophie wouldn't mind any that came her way...

Indian feast to celebrate...
swan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear ladies, a professional advise: if you're flying within Europe the baggage allowance is only 20 kgs/ 44lbs for checked in baggage (as opposed to 2 pieces of 23 kg /50lbs each travelling over the ocean) AND carry-on luggage is restricted, both in size and in weight!! (10 kgs max, I would have to look up the sizes but what 'you Americans' use for cabin baggage, especially those trolleys with all the zippers expanded...too big!!trolleys are fine, just not too big, hang on, uhm...approx 25x35x55cm is allowed)
Coming from the girl that works at the airport....!
ofcourse you can always use that trolley and check it in and have another bag or another trolley as carry on...
Erin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can deal with 10kgs, I think. I have checked on bag dementions and they are the same, it's just that here they don't weigh your carryon.

"It's hot ham water."
swan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and that, my sweet Erin, already makes you a better packer than I'll ever be!!! So far I have never-ever managed to travel with only 10 kgs for a 'longer'trip (anything over 5 days Smile ) You may be proud!!

I'll try it on my next trip, I'll spend two weeks under a palmtree, but hey,only the suntan lotion, my books and magazines may weigh more..sigh... Very Happy
Erin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swan,
My large bag is usually around fifty pounds, and then I have a carryon. I figure I can wash things at my friends house between jaunts and wear the heaviest things. I am wearing the clogs and packing the flats.

I love the flats, they are easily packed, grey wooly, have pretty little beads and will be an easy way to keep my finger on the pulse.

If you all knew me you'd be laughing right now.

"It's hot ham water."
Elizagard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some airlines do weigh your carryon for international flights from the US. I had to check my carryon size eagle creek roller bag for a flight to somewhere in Europe but don't remember which airline or destination.

Are you sure you want to bring one really big suitcase? It's much easier to cope with 2 smaller bags in the narrow aisles, stairs, trains, and so on.
woodstocker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope this bit of observation isn't coming too late, but i'm in edinburgh, scotland and the people here are very well dressed. of course, it's not Paris, where everyone wears black, but slacks, skirts (even when its 30 with frozen fog, like today), sweaters, and tall boots are the norm. the whole pants-tucked-into-boots look is very hot and i've seen it all over the city. most of the women here wear skirts, as stated above, and although they're smaller to pack, its still cold. be prepared for damp/windy/cold. did i mention that the sky is never really sunny? more like variations of grey.

also, my college room mate back home told me a marvelous secret to packing: pack your neatly folded clothes into (clean, lol) garbage bags and then stick your vacuum hose inside b/w the layers. turn it on and suck out all the air, to make your own, much cheaper, space bags. you might have to do it once or twice to get the knack of it, but i swear you'll be amazed at how much space it saves. (hold the bag closed as you pull out the vacuum, and be quick so the air doesn't go back in) using this method, i managed to pack an extra-long twin comforter, 2 bath towels, 7 pairs of jeans and a small printer into ONE suitcase. it weighed 49.5 lbs.
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodstocker,

Oh my goodness, that is amazing how much space it saves.

I love the pant tucked into the boot look, but have yet to try it out. I wonder if I could pull it off.

Thanks for the tips!

"It's hot ham water."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: