Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Confessions of a Bad Packer.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Elizagard, you have it exactly. One big suitcase is often too wide in any direction to fit through turnstiles and in aisles etc.

When we moved here we had to downgrade to smaller cases for trips around Europe. Found we couldn't get the big cases through the turnstiles in the train stations.

Think skinny and you have Europe pretty much summed up space wise. Wink

We have always had our carryon weighed and it can be a bit of a pain. Watch out, because on some airlines the limit is actually 7kgs - not 10kgs. Made that mistake once and will never do it again as I had to throw stuff away as it couldn't fit in my suitcase... Embarassed
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7kgs!! OOhhhhhh! I am going to have to check the airline sites. I am taking Thomson Fly, bmibaby and I think Easyjet. Have any of you ever flown them?

"It's hot ham water."
nima

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

up until recently, you used to be allowed to take 2 bags that weighed as much as 32 kgs per bag, for international travel to and from the US. that changed this last fall, and now you are only allowed 23 kgs per bag, but still two bags (so you can take as much as 46 kgs total). these restrictions don't usually matter for most people (who travel fairly light) but i always tread dangerously close to the limit, and carry way too many books.

if you aren't starting or going to the US, the limits are even smaller. i recently returned to new delhi from sydney and for that trip, i was only permitted to take a total of 23 kgs (not 46 as would have been allowed, had i been flying off to the US).

i know this thread is about how to pack light (a skill i'll learn one of these days, hopefully). but in the meantime, i personally hate travelling and finding myself unprepared for the weather. so i usually pack a few extra things, to make me feel comfortable in inclement weather--a good jacket, a nice shawl, an umbrella, shoes i don't mind getting wet if i have to walk around a bit. and good moisturizer.

if you are travelling abroad, you might consider whether you need an adapter or voltage converters for your appliances (MP3 Player, cellphone, hairdryer, etc.). if you are staying in a hotel, check to see that they have hairdryers and irons in the room, so that you don't have to lug around travel appliances. since i seem to be travelling all the time these days, i've bought myself a few universal plug adapters, and just leave them in my suitcase.

for the plane, i second all the recommendations so far. a shawl, heavy moisturizer, lip balm, long socks (helps deal with swelling), a good book, some candies to suck on (if your ears hurt during take off and landing) and some aspirin, just in case. i don't mind sitting anywhere on the plane, except in the late row in each section (because often those seats don't fully recline, plus people keep standing around you, waiting for the restrooms).

now, as i write this, i'm packing to go to boston and new york tomorrow. anyone have any advice what to take, how to dress for the weather etc? i'm a bit worried that regardless of how i pack, i'll be unprepared for a north american winter.

cheers.
woodstocker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

having been to nyc in all types of weather, i can tell you that it's almost guaranteed to be very windy, as the skyscrapers make wind tunnels out of most of the streets. checking the local forecast, tomorrow (feb. 2) is supposed to be sunny and 51*F (11*C). Friday rain showers, 11*C again, so either bring an umbrella or buy a cheap one there. The temperature is going to drop a lot, so GLOVES, SCARF, and WARM winter coat. the ski version or a pea coat are best, because they cut the wind. a hood might be helpful if you can swing it. the temp is supposed to hover around 5*C/40*F. think layers for inside (some restos are drafty) and warm, comfy shoes for walking. bring extra socks, especially if you might be getting wet feet!

boston on the other hand: rain/snow showers this weekend, temps around 45-50*F/5-10*C. again, the temp is supposed to drop down a bit, 1-3*C/36-38*F. boston's close to the water, so it'll probably be windy there too, although i don't have as much experience with the city. same clothing situation probably applies.

check out The Weather Channel at www.weather.com (enter the city and state at the top)
woodstocker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meant to put this in: currently (9 am ET) its 37*F/3*C, but the wind chill is 28*F/-2*C with wind gusts up to 21 mph out of the nw. bundle up!
Erin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New York weather has been from the forties to the fifties, cold but unseasonably warm. It is usually around fifteen degrees F.

"It's hot ham water."
nima

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys. thanks so much for all the advise. i know the weather in new york can be pretty unpredictable sometimes, so the suggestions are well appreciated.

i leave in about two hours, and am shoving the last of my things in my suitcase like a madwoman. all principles of precise, pared down packing out the window. oh no! Laughing
David

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Erin, the clock is ticking!! How has your packing proceeded?? And have a great time!
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time is winding down and in 49 hours I will be winging my way over to begin the first leg of my trip.
My carry on contains;
charcoal pashmina
black long rolled scarf
dark boot cut jeans
black long sleeve crew neck
another yet to be determined top
undergarments
my grey argyle socks
carefully protected jams, jellies and mole
dopp kit
note pad
What I am wearing on the plane mixes well with these items. The configuration changes when we go to Paris and Prague, but I won't need the huge suitcase there.
In the huge case;
black pants
charcoal pants
1 blue sweater
2 black sweaters
1 white blouse
1 black blouse
1white blouse with black pin stripes
CBGB T-shirt
1 white long sleeve tee
2 tissue tee's
2 3/4 sleeve shirt's one green, one blue
My one luxury, my grey wool beaded flats
Tide stain remover, because I'm me.
My husband's clothes which were easier to decide upon than my own.
Plenty of French's mustard and enchilada sauce for my friend.

Merci for all of your tips they really helped!

"It's hot ham water."
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, have a fantastic time and don't forget anything so you can tell us all about it either while you're travelling or when you get home.

((((hugs))))

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Judy! I promise to share pictures.

"It's hot ham water."
Donna

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Erin,

Have a great trip! Your packing sounds perfect! I just did a trial trip with the medium size suitcase to my Godparents for 4 days . Let's just say that living out of that suit case for 2 weeks will be a challenge! Wink It weighed 48 pounds going out - which included 12 pounds of meyer and eureka lemons off my trees. It weighed 48 pounds coming back, which included 2 pounds of frozen chili and 2 pounds of frozen posole and a new pair of shoes! Laughing

I may have to pack a collapsible bag if I want to buy one single thing when we are in Dublin or London!

Anyway, Bon voyage! Have a brilliant trip and I can't wait to hear of all your adventures!
Vickie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, have a wonderful wonderful time. The fact that you will soon be winging your way to the land I still call home (the UK) has made me a little wistful.

However, there is not a cloud in the sky here and I'm about to go down to the beach for a swim. That helps a little!!!!!

Enjoy yourselves and let us know all about it on your return
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, when you fly on BMIBaby, make sure you get to the airport with plenty of time.... I flew them last september and hated it. You have to check yourself in using an automatic machine and of course no one knew how to use them so the queues were just getting longer and everyone was getting panicky. Hopefully by now they will have scrapped that idea and brought in traditional checkin.

I think they also had a small cabin bag limit as they wanted me to check a backpack which was not large by any means. It fitted into the standard airline cabin bag dimensions and was under 10kilos. I said I couldn't check it as it had essential medecines and was eventually allowed to take it on board. It would have been interesting if I had to check it as I had already gone through all that procedure...

Easyjet are better than BMIBaby, but still a budget airline and so do not have the allowances or facilities of the other major lines.

BIG TIP!!!!!! Take a sandwich on board and a drink. They charge a fortune for disgusting snacks and drinks. You can buy really nice sandwiches in the airport and there is no problem taking them on board. We learnt that the hard way.... on the return trip we were a bit wiser and saved ourselves alot of money and upset tummies. Wink
Erin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Debbie I really appreciate it!

"It's hot ham water."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: