Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Where are you traveling to in 2006?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Where are you traveling to in 2006? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

It's another new year, full of promise and hopefully lots of interesting travel (and of course, food). Would you like to share with the board where you plan on traveling to in 2006?

I'm off to London, Paris and the French countryside, hopefully in May. It's a peace offering to my friends in France who I bypassed in order to see Italy. Their mentality was "if you're in Italy, you're only a hop, skip and a jump away from France." Not quite, but it's always nice to be missed.

I'll also be learning some Spanish (via the Pimsleur Level One CD set) this year so I can speak to my Spanish friend Maria in Paris. It will be an interesting year.

http://onegirlonehouse.wordpress.com
Pockymonkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harpo,

sounds like a nice year of travel!

I'm hoping to hit 1 or 2 new countries this year - top contenders being Russia and Iceland in early summer. Don't know if either will actually take place, but it's nice to dream it all out. If a schoolmate of mine gets his act and his schedule together, I may get to travel down to Australia at the end of the year for his wedding, which would be lovely. And in two days, I leave for India for a nice family visit. Escape from a few weeks of upstate NY winter is merely a bonus!
Mishka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lined up my travel plans for the year!! Yipppeee!!

I'll start with 2 weeks vacation in Michigan visiting my sister end Jan - early Feb, followed by a week in Paris early May with friends and another week in Bangkok mid-Sept with my best friend.

If there's a window of opportunity, I am tempted to slot in a visit to Shanghai or Melbourne!! I AM definitely smitten by the travel bug!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think by a few other posts you all have a pretty good idea where I am going this year. I'll also add Seattle to the list though that is nothing new. It is also very likely that I will be moving in the next six to twelve months as well. Fingers crossed!!!

Pockymonkey,
You will have to fill us in on your trips! I really want to visit India, I have always been totally entranced by that culture. I am also interested in hearing about Iceland, a good friend is planning a trip there for next Christmas and I am helping her plan.

"It's hot ham water."
bainst

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going break the habit a lot of soldiers, which is to stay put in one spot they feel confrtable in, and explore the country I am stationed in. Currently, I reside in Seoul, South Korea, and I am going to take the time to explore the country. Visit the palaces, the Buddahists temples, the DMZ, and the mountains. However, I can not bring myself to explore kimchi.
tea leaves

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with all good grace...april in Paris for my birthday and Napa in late October for our 10th wedding anniversary. Both trips with my only love...
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camping for 2 weeks on the east coast of Australia (Batemans Bay for any interested Aussies) starting tomorrow.

2 weeks in China in March

a 2 week trip to the outback of South Australia/New South Wales to visit the Dig Tree in July

Back to the West Coast of the USA in December to visit friends in Washington State.

The fun never stops!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are all so lucky! Steve's time and our income won't permit us to do any traveling beyond what we do in a dining room chair and what I am able to do vicariously here. ...so be sure to make those travel stories vivid!
Lilia Dignan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting off on a birthday trip to Paris end of January with the love of my life of more years than I can count on my fingers and toes and beyond........ Later in the year, I am hoping to visit my brother in Lisbon.

New chocolate shop to try in Paris is Patrick Roger at 108 bd. Saint-Germain. New restaurant to absolutely try - Le Comptoir du Relais at 9 carrefour de l'Odeon. I missed both of them last May.

Such a pleasure for me to read about the great adventures of fellow friends at C&Z.
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the three weeks in Paris has pretty much shot the travel budget for awhile Sad

We are scheduled to take a cruise in April, (Key West. Belize, & Costa Maya )
..not really sure I have the cruising gene, but it will be to celebrate my in-laws 60th anniv, and it will mean a lot to them....and I heard the food is ok Wink

Will try to make it to the beach sometime in summer or early fall (P'cola or St George Island Fla)

ohhhh I almost forgot....if the last two years are any indication there will be the "OH MY GOD, THERE IS A HURRICANE IN THE GULF" Mad dash to saftey
(usually in late august Laughing )
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could daydream for hours about places to visit and things to see.... what bliss

Already popped across to England (London and Kent) this year.

We were supposed to be back for a visit to Australia in March... not sure if we will make it now due to my other halfs work committments. We may have to schedule that for later in the year instead.

Will be stopping in Singapore on the way out to Australia and Japan and China on the way back so my husband can do business.

If all goes according to plan I will be spending 12 weeks in Ireland attending a bridging course before returning to Paris and getting work (fingers crossed).

Will also be in Bordeaux, Poitiers and probably a few other places in France with husband's work during the year.

England a few times to visit our nieces.

I would love to visit Prague, Iceland and Russia.

We are tossing up short trips to Denmark and Brussells and Germany this year also.... of course all depends on the other half's schedule.... and finances... going from 2 wages down to 1 has really curtailed our activities, especially in Europe.

I will try to remember and send you postcards from each of our trips Rainey. That way you can sit and daydream, and imagine that you are a little step closer to a trip.
simona

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I envy you guys, knowing in advance where you are going to be in five-ten months! for the moment, I plan to be in Paris January 19-25 with two friends on a culinary-cultural trip. But even that's not sure ( Sorry Lilia, we'll miss each other). I'll probably be in NY sometimes in the spring, in Austria with my mother (hopefully she'll be OK, she's 86!)in September.
And nothing of the above .
Nearly had the occasion to fly to Beijing with 150$ (!!!) (both ways) but I heard january is too cold. At least in Paris I speak french, know the best cafes, and tourism is not the main issue. SO I leave Beijing for later.

Bon Voyage to all of us in 2006!

No more war, no more frontiers!
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pesto Man wrote:
ohhhh I almost forgot....if the last two years are any indication there will be the "OH MY GOD, THERE IS A HURRICANE IN THE GULF" Mad dash to saftey
(usually in late august Laughing )

If you can laugh after all you and NO have been through you are a MONSTER of a guy! My hat's off to ya, PM!
Donna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! There's a lot of traveling going on! I'm envious! I have fond memories of living in Germany and traveling nearly every weekend to some wonderful place! Of course I didn't have kids and my job was part time and my (then) husband made the big bucks!

We're looking forward to Ireland and England in April. My son will be doing a semester in Dublin studying screenwriting at an NYU program. So we will spend a week there with him - hopefully doing some traveling while we're there - the west coast of Ireland calls to me...

Then to England to stay with friends in Dorset (Thomas Hardy country) and a few days in London. I must say, I am tempted to skip London and go directly to Paris for 3-4 days! We haven't been there for a year and a half and this blog makes me long for it! It's definitely on the schedule for my big Zero birthday. But that's not for 2 years and I'm not sure I can wait that long!

The summer trip may be another visit to the family beach cottage in East Haven Connecticut - right outside New Haven, on Long Island Sound. Lots of family nearby and nothing to do but sail, walk, swim and sit on the beach reading (under the umbrella, swathed in towels and SPF 60 sunscreen!). If we're feeling energetic, we can drive up to Cape Cod to visit friends and family or down to Manahattan to see our son and hit the museums and the theater.

Happy New Year to all CZer's where ever we may be!
tea leaves

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: To Debbie and Donna going to Ireland... Reply with quote

lucky ladies going to Ireland and Debbie for 12 weeks! (what exactly is a bridging course?)
anyway...I'm second generation so we spend as much time there as possible as we still have family there. On the west coast Donna, you must, must must go to Moran's on the Weir in Clarinbridge for the BEST oysters you will ever eat. Eat them raw, baked, broiled fried, it doesn't matter. It is always our first stop in and out of Galway and we are always in Galway.
When I first went (3 decades ago this year! oh my) as a young girl of 18 and stayed for the summer, I didn't know well enough but I do remember great things. The connemara pony show, the first time I had EVER seen water that aqua or land that green when the aer lingus jet drops through the clouds on approach, a bomb scare in the Great Southern hotel the first night staying with my nana and aunt, Ballynahinch castle and fishing, my uncle's cows and Bentley the border collie ( so smart!)...
so you will all have an absolutely amazing time there and if you need more info/advice feel free to email

one bit of advice from my husband after being totally baffled by publicans who didn't pick up his tips...."ah, you can tip my waitresses, lad, but you don't tip me! We're professionals". you don't tip your doctor or lawyer do you?

Enjoy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: