Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Where are you traveling to in 2006?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VictoriaLH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hopefully going to Paris March 9-15 (by myself, but I am sure I will find something to do! Anyone want to do lunch?) and then our yearly pilgrimage to Positano Italy with a brief stopover in Rome in late September- early October. We may be bringing another couple with us on that trip, so that could be fun.

I wish I had more time off, I have so few days that I have to really plan the whole year and hope I don't get sick!
Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between us I think we have most of the world covered!

We just have to remember to share when we return from our trips... sometimes the buildup is so intense and the trip is so long awaited that when we get back we have no words. Need to make sure we exchange ideas and tips for the "greater good" Wink

Tea Leaves... a bridging course is a course that you go on that is specific to your industry and fills in the "gaps". For me it will fill in the things that are different from Australia to Europe in archeaology. Have not done bronze, iron, etc ages as concentrated on Australian archeaology (Aboriginal). Simply, it makes a qualification in one country compatible with the qualifications in another country.
dbd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie, where did you find this bridging course? I have the same problem, my American architecture degree means nothing in France and I'm really not interested in redoing 2 or 3 years of university with people twenty years younger than me.. Laughing
FoodSciGeek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be the year of the birthday for my personal travel. My babyboomer Dad turns 60 in June, so back to small town southern Ontario for that (Tweed to be precise). Then my brother's wife is expecting their first baby in the fall, so back to Ontario again to meet the new arrival. The timing should work out so I can combine it with Canadian Thanksgiving and not have to make a 3rd trip back. Finally, a friend of mine who lives in England (Cambridge) is expecting her first child in May. She's suggested I come out in the early fall. Unfortunately, the baby will prevent our long anticipated beer drinking tour of Ireland.

I haven't got too much planned yet for business travel this year, but I imagine I'll be attending a couple of trade shows, one in Vegas, one in Anaheim. Then there's my regular visits to my company's US facilities in Oregon and Virginia.

On the other hand, I'll have lots of opportunities to do the touristy stuff here in Vancouver. I already have 4 sets of guests planning to come out and visit me this year, and it's only the 6th of January!
Elizagard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Contenders Reply with quote

I haven't decided yet where I'm going in 2006, but here are the contenders:

*Kenya/Tanzania to visit relatives. I've also thought about Cape Town but that's far from there.

*Budapest and maybe Austria

*Greece and Turkey

*Amalfi coast

*Barcelona to visit a friend (though I did go last year to visit a different friend then living there)
Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbd, check your PM. Have sent a reply about bridging courses.
jenjen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Nepal Reply with quote

We are planning to visit Pokhara and Dharmasala towards Christmas 2006. I am told there are some great restaurants in Dharmasala being run by expat Israeli's - the world just gets smaller and smaller doesn't it! Rolling Eyes Exclamation Cool
JustMe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I am so envious...no make that downright jealous!!!

However, I cannot complain too loudly as I will be travelling to Sarasota, Florida for a week in May and next year, 2007, is hopefully my year to travel. I have a...ahem...major birthday coming up & have decided that France and/or Italy are it for sure. I plan to be sitting within sight of the Eiffel Tour in May of next year as I turn....
creampuff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portugal and southern Spain

Oregon coast and Ashland for Shakespeare (with my youngest son)

New York (Long Island for family and a few day in NYC for me!)

San Diego (relatives)

Plus my older son and husband are going to Germany for the World Cup

This past year I was in Paris, Vietnam, New York, San Diego, Phoenix

Guess how we spend our disposable income!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creampuff,
If the Greenleaf Cafe is still there stop in for lunch. It is right on the main drag leading into Ashland. Lithia Park is just a short stroll away. If you are there on a sunday they usually have performances in the park. I love that little town. Where are you staying, and what are you seeing?

"It's hot ham water."
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what we've got lined up so far:
April: San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. We just bought a house there, and I am dying to see it. I've never even seen a picture of it, but I trust my wife's taste, and she has seen it. I think that we'll rent it when we're not there, which will be virtually all of the time until I retire, so we'll have to have a special discount for C&Z people interested in Mexican cuisine.
June: Seattle again to see my older daughter.
July: Greece, including selected Greek Islands. This is my daughter's high school graduation present. This trip is in the early planning stages, so we would welcome any advise about where to go, especially in the islands. Not party islands, though. We're too old, and our daughter is TOO YOUNG.
MJBodell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: To Debbie and Donna going to Ireland... Reply with quote

I will be heading to Hamburg, Germany (my husband's city of orgin) and hope to stop by Florence.

We haven't been to India in almost two years... so it is definatley on the agenda!

Has anyone spend time in Hamburg? I've only been once and would love to hear about it from someone other than my in-laws.
MJBodell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Nepal Reply with quote

Dharamsala also has great shopping and good german bakeries. The green hotel is pretty cool.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creampuff, while we were travelling in the US a couple of months ago I read a book I had wanted to read for ages but couldn't find in Australia .... Good Grief, by Lolly Winston. It was set in San Francisco and Ashland, and it was quite a surreal experience, reading about places as we were travelling through, and staying at, them.

Ashland looks and sounds like a lovely town, and the Shakespeare Festival sounds fantastic ... please share it with us.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
queenla

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chicago Bear,

I have just farewelled friends who were on holiday from their first season opening of their cafe on Ithica, greece. I would recommend it. They worked for three years, after buying it, to set it up. Andy, my old school friend, does the cooking, it is italian style with a touch of English home style. I have seen the photographs and it is a magnificent setting right on the bend in a road, next to an ancient olive tree. Accomodation is cheap by greek island standards, up 600 pounds a week at the best place in high season. The best bit is to arrive from venice, catch a two day ferry, with the car, and you're practically there.
they will be open from April, I believe. Good luck.
Georgia Butters Cain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: