Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Where are you traveling to in 2006?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always have many plans and dreams (amongst them Japan, Madagascar, Antarctica, back to China, back to New York, a month in Paris, a month in London, driving through french or Spanish countryside) but very near (I'll depart in a week!) another very dream-like destination: Maldives...I'lll spend two weeks in two different hotels enjoying sun, sea, snorkeling, maybe diving, good food, my books and a whole lot of nothing.....I am SO looking forward to that!
Some people call me crazy for doing that alone (beiing such a romantic destination and so on) but hey, the alternative would be not going, so I'lld rather go alone than not at all...I actually don't mind, although I'm sure there will be 'those moments', but they're everywhere. So....I'm nearly on my way and started collecting my bathingsuits and sarongs already.
me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Traveling in 2006 Reply with quote

Haven't made any firm plans yet, but am hoping to get back to France again :)

However, I just got back from my big trip for 2006 -- a tour through South India (and then a few days in Calcutta to see my relatives). Besides seeing the amazing forts and temples and the gorgeous Deccan landscape, the highlight was the variety of the food: spicy Chettinad cuisine, crispy masala dosas, tasty Peshwari-style grilled meats and vegetables... it was just heavenly. Most food in the south is vegetarian, but with the variety of spices and cooking styles, I don't think I'd have a problem being a vegetarian in India!

Cheers,
:) Shoma

Last edited by me on Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vickie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We plan to take a trip to the UK later this year. For me, it's a return home - the first since I moved over here two years ago. For my husband, it will be his first trip there. Knowing that has made me look at the country I call home with different eyes and I'm having a great time planning the places we'll go to. It seems sometimes you have to leave a country to truely appreciate all it has to offer...there are so many great things to see that I never took the time to.

So now I plan to make the most of it!
Saudades

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[it's an old thread i know]

(recently) got back [april this year] from almost 7 weeks in China and Tibet. and 2 months before that Czech Rep. going to Ericeira and Obidos [Portugal] for christmas/new year holidays, and am determined to return a pig and a drunk. booking that flight in a few weeks [happy dance]. too many places to eat and drink, too little cash!
simona

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not alone out there Saudade, and I'm happy to find out that I am not the only She-person ( not anymore a young lass), who travels with food and wine as a first goal in her mind. I travel a lot, and go back frequently to same towns/places, anticipating with joy the specific food/restaurant i'm going to eat at. I remember a time when I returned quite offten to San Sebastian ( I worked a tour guide) and I was waiting for some free moments so as to raid my favourite tapas bars.
I won't bother you with the results of so many years of "Pigging"....

No more war, let the people eat in peace!
swan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But hey, guys, isn't that NORMAL???
I do the same thing (being a she-swan as well), and also find that most of my memories, from holidays, places, early years, school and so on, are food-and-restaurant related. Yes, I love wintersports, but oooohh, remember this-and-this in that restaurant!? that's how a lot of conversations in my family go....I 'm kind'a surprised learning it doesn't work that way for eveyone. How can it be that food just isn't so important, or is just 'fuel' to some people?
Maybe the same way, lets say...motorracing doesn't do it for me? Smile

(I am saying this fully aware that we are blessed to be able to live this way and have food all around, in comparison to other parts of the world. )
Saudades

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was in San Sabastian on that Eurail trip i made many moons ago! such a lovely place! did you really have to mention the tapas in SS?!! Twisted Evil i also have a soft spot for Spain...
lol...i like pigging out more than anything but the price i have to pay is to bike 16km a day, and swim 3km every morning. too much food, wine, and beers to enjoy...[sigh...] it's hard to be us. Laughing

ps: round is a shape too, you know.
Saudades

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think food is one of the most delightful topics of conversations. food is important in every culture i'm sure. it has a lot to do with a country's history and traditions. it is love, good memories, even a part religious observance. wherever people go they still want to eat the food their (grand)mothers used to make because it reminds them of home, don't you notice?

[off topic: i found out my colourful Peru hat which i got in the Andes is also a good 'ice breaker' anywhere. people often come up to me with a big smile and are quite curious about the hat. first thing they usually ask is 'what is that hat?', second question 'where did you get it from?' ]
simona

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saudade, you bike 16 Km and swim 3 km a day? What are you, a OSA ( obsessive sportive anonymous?) Of course you can pig as much as you want. And I bet you're quite young so your metabolism still works. I'm green with envy!!
Yes, round is a "perfect" shape from the geometrical angle, but not from my mirror's point of view.
You deserve another mention of the tapas in San Sebastian, especially the ones in the famous Tapas bar near the cathedral on Calle .Mayor. Twisted Evil

No more war, let the round ones eat in peace!
gisele

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie wrote:
For me it will fill in the things that are different from Australia to Europe in archeaology. Have not done bronze, iron, etc ages as concentrated on Australian archeaology (Aboriginal)

Ooo....I'm so envious, you have a career in archaeology...I studied and majored in archaeology (namely Pacific), but ended up getting a job in my other major, coastal geography, but I am really hoping to spend some of my life immersed in archaeology.

I'm flabbergasted at the amount of travelling people are doing this year! My big trip this year is driving eight hours down to Wellington for an extended weekend! Well, guess I better keep saving for my OE!!!
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've alwasy been so envious of those who live in the Northern Hemisphere and have all of Europe to explore. It is such and expense (money and time) to get there from NZ or Australia. I've got little trips planned for the remainder of the year. Coromandel Peninsula in July;Brisbane, Noosa and Gold Coast in August; Perth for Christmas and New Year; Napier for the Eric Clapton concert in Jan 07 continuing onto a summer camping trip to the South Island.
anniemarie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: CHINA! Reply with quote

I am leaving from Las Vegas (where I currently live) for China on July 5, 2006 and will be returning August 11, 2006 only to pack our (my husband and I) stuff up and move to Salem, OR! It will be a busy busy crazy crazy 2 months but..I'm looking forward to it so much!

If anyone is living in China and would like to meet up we'll be travelling to all the major and minor cities up and down the coast and through the middle of the country.

Cheers!

AnnieMarie
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnnieMarie,
Wow, Salem Oregon. Do you know the area well? I have family there, let me know if you want info about the area.
Enjoy China!

"It's hot ham water."
anniemarie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin wrote:
AnnieMarie,
Wow, Salem Oregon. Do you know the area well? I have family there, let me know if you want info about the area.
Enjoy China!

I have never been there! I would love some info on fun things to do or interesting stuff to see! And, places to eat of course!

We'll be there at least 3 years as les husbo is attending law school at Willamette.
Thanks ! Smile Smile
Saudades

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simona wrote:
Saudade, you bike 16 Km and swim 3 km a day? What are you, a OSA ( obsessive sportive anonymous?) Of course you can pig as much as you want. And I bet you're quite young so your metabolism still works. I'm green with envy!!
Yes, round is a "perfect" shape from the geometrical angle, but not from my mirror's point of view.
You deserve another mention of the tapas in San Sebastian, especially the ones in the famous Tapas bar near the cathedral on Calle .Mayor. Twisted Evil

No more war, let the round ones eat in peace!

1) no i'm not an OSA at all. some of my 'swim colleagues' [direct translation from Dutch] could be categorised as such though.

2) young? noooo [early 30's is old, me thinks.]. these days my metabolism is not working as hard as it used to. everytime i return from a gastronomic trip i have to exercise much harder [than the previous trip]! took me ages to drop the holiday kilos after Cambodia (.Kh) and Vietnam (.Vn) in Dec/Jan 2004. the food is outstanding there, especially in VN, so no regrets. Very Happy it's been 2 months since i got back from Tibet and China and am taking even longer to fit into my summer clothes this time. and the food isn't that good there, however Chengdu's Sichuan food is an exception. i think it might be the heavy food and ever flowing great beers in Czech Rep 2 months prior to my China holiday is to blame. but i enjoyed it so much! haha...

3) there are mirrors that make people look thinner...notice them in shops that sell clothes? Wink

4) no tapas today but i'm having 2 herrings with chopped onions for lunch very soon Twisted Evil

5) yes i agee, let's round ones and everyone eat in peace!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: