Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Fancy Food is Overrated
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deste

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhhh! Don't recall the line at all, but truly a movie and an amazing, powerful performance close to many hearts. Still remember what it was like to see Brando in that role the very first time!

(Years and years ago, Camille (?) Paglia wrote a book review in the NYTs that was really about her own lust for Marlon Brando. While I am not a fan of any woman who writes about feminism with four-letter words, I have to say that it was the best thing I have ever read about the actor. It's funny how two of the most searing images from the fifties are Marlon Brando in his white tee shirt and in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof," Elizabeth Taylor in a white slip.)

As for the topic at hand, I am going to revise my original reply and take a more ecumenical position. "Good" is also hard to define, but I'm also of the belief that good food can be found on the street or plated just so.

Blanche's fancy is artificial, after all. Fancy is pretension and repression. It's the Ego wrapped in Neurosis, enslaved by the Super Ego and denying the self. It's gold-rimmed plates. Too extreme.

Stanley's stark reality is supposed to be the opposite. But it is brutal, violent. An enraged bully of an Id out of control. The height of charged, sexualized masculinity conveyed by the glorious adult that a hurt child became, out of the mind of a homosexual man who knew about repression and sublimation only too well, it's a bit of an act. I think the sandwich is just a bit too thick.

Choice between The French Laundry and Katz's? I'd go to California.

Choice between Katz's and Tavern on the Green? Corned beef, please.
Sarape

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comments Deste.

Didn't think this would go toward Plato and Freud. Neither Stanley nor Blanche would make attractive dinner guests for me. Though it would be interesting to treat Stanley to a deli corned-beef and rye.
Deste

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if fancy means an old screwball comedy or Jean Renoir with subtitles, and its opposite is yet another example of Hollywood dreck with an unfunny script, slumming cast and greater desire to make money than to make art, then I'd go fancy!

Don't know why advertisers would think this forum is the place for a movie like the one promoted below. QL has a voice and boy can she quip, but no one can carry a film as tired as that.
simona

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sarape, don't take my Brando away!
Though having dinner with him is really not the first thing I would have in mind .
If Blanche is the fancy restaurant, what is Brando's metaphora according to you? You tell me Sarape, I'm shy. Freud would have been happy with this topic!!

No more war, more Brando!
jenjen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: eating out Reply with quote

Sarape,

food appreciation is about the magical experience of being in a special place, maybe a particular restaurant, the plates, glasses,candles,music, floral arrangement,atmosphere, attentive waiting staff - and so far we havent gotten to the food!

I work very hard so that I can enjoy these great experiences.....I couldnt do that if I HAD retired too early.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elizagard,
No offence taken. To a six year old in 1984, (pre-renovated), the Empress was magical. I haven't been back since. Although I would like to be in Victoria for the Symphony Splash.
Has anyone ever been?

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Do tell! I'm imagining beautiful music in open air at the harbor on summer evenings but where? In front of the museum? At that lovely little park up the hill behind it?
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a barge in the harbor in front of The Empress and Parliment. It is an all day event, they block off the street, people bring food and wine. There are fireworks at night and I am told that many end up dancing in the street. How wonderful does that sound?

"It's hot ham water."
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's time (the walrus said) for my Empress story. We were spending a lovely summer day in Victoria, winner of the Tidy Town Award with its flower baskets on the lamp posts and other foo foo touches. My wife decided to go shopping before high tea at the Empress. I decided to watch the Olympics at a bar. Unknown to me, the beer in Western Canada is strong. That, plus my wife taking extra time to shop, guaranteed that I would be intoxicated by the time she found me. The Empress knew what to do with me. "Drunken Americans are not welcome heah", we were told. "Madame, you may take your inebriated husband back to where he acquired that condition." "Does this mean we don't get tea?", I slurred at my wife. It did mean that. Embarassed
jenjen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: foo foo bears! Reply with quote

Hi Chicago Bear, this joint sounded a bit too foo foo for this koala bear from down under!

Who wants a plastic, manufactured place to go to - not me!
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add: on the way out, I nearly fell over this six-year old girl who was saying to her mom, "This place is magical!!!" I now know, because the year was 1984, that the little girl was none other than ERIN. (See her post above this one) I wonder if she remembers her occasion being marred by some oaf who couldn't seem to keep his balance. Small world, eh?
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You tore my dress!

"Mommy, why did the bad man fall down?"

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin wrote:
How wonderful does that sound?

Right off the scale!
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicago Bear wrote:
I now know, because the year was 1984, that the little girl ... I wonder if she remembers her occasion being marred by some oaf who couldn't seem to keep his balance. Small world, eh?

Erin wrote:
You tore my dress!

"Mommy, why did the bad man fall down?"

You two are a hoot!

I'm not crazy about Victoria. ...other than to be amazed at what a vibrant harbor it is!

The western side of the island is the place to be.
Euridice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing I'm tired of, are those super-fancy shmancy restaurants who'll give you such small portions, but all artistically presented on your plate. I don't get it. If I'm paying a lot, I expect to have.. substance. And good quality substance too.
I don't care much for "creative" or "fusion" cooking- I think some tastes just don't belong together, no matter how innovative you may be and how fancy the dish description on your menu is.
I don't care about the presentation either; if all that is on the plate are two raw flower-cut zucchini, a spoonful of risotto with jellied marmalade and god knows what, I won't like it. I don't care if the jelly is cut in little cubes or heart shapes, I don't like marmalade in my risotto!
I just don't like pretentious dishes, too elaborate sauces, too many flavours in one plate and so on.
If a food is good, it shows through the most simple preparation. It doesn't need anything more, au contraire, often the simplest way of cooking is the best way to show a food's real qualities. (For example, this often happens with fresh fish).

Probably I'm a bit too harsh because of the hardcore Italian in me speaking. Sorry for that! Wink
Italian cooking is really easy and simple, and I'm really tired to see dishes drenched in cream, wine sauces, "reduction" this and "jelly" that being called "Italian". (Here in Italy, we don't even know what Alfredo sauce is, for example!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: