Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Go Seahawks!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FoodSciGeek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Go Seahawks!!! Reply with quote

As a new resident of the Pacific Northwest, I decided to become a fan of the local teams. And what do you know, the Seattle Seahawks (American Football) are having the best season they've had in more than 2 decades. They just won the conference and are going to the Superbowl. Go Seahawks!!!
varnadore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOT DAMB!! I set off the alarm just to make sure the neighbors knew! So let's get food related; what special foods around the world say,
"Go, home team!"
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, well, I don't know anything about football, whether it's Aussie Rules, Rugby, American. I do know a tiny bit about soccer, having worked as a volunteer at some of the matches at the 2000 Olympics, but that's another story.

Here in Adelaide one of the large local bakeries makes a 'Footy Pie'. I don't know how it's different from a regular meat pie, but I can imagine it would be quite a good thing to eat while watching a football match in the freezing cold pouring rain, since Adelaide gets most of its annual rainfall in winter.

Pass the (tomato) sauce please!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How funny, I came to the site with the intent of posting on the Seahawks.

As a Seattle native I have been through the ups, downs and finally disillusionment with our Seahawks. My brother always kept hope and every year told me this was the year. This year I began to pay attention again, but didn't allow myself to dream.
I told my brother two years ago if they made it to last nights game he would recieve two bottles from me, which he did. One contained champagne and the other Strawberry Hill Boones Farm, for those of you unfamiliar with Boones it is a favorite among the teenagers and winos of America. One bottle was for victory, the other to drown his sorrows. He recieved a note in which I parodied Eisenhauer's speech to the troops before invading Normandy to send him off to victory. Last night he was the twelfth man.
Last night I watched apprehensive, waiting for the other team to deliver the fatal blow, but it never came. After 29 years the battered bastards of Seattle can finally lift their heads up high. Though season ticket holders like my brother may not be so happy next year when prices are raised.

Next stop, Super Bowl.

"It's hot ham water."
Erin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost forgot to add that sports commentators really crack me up. After the game last night one of them said, " this game is like deodorant and boy does it smell good!"

Wow.

The eloquence displayed at such a moment is really moving. To have the near fulfillment of one's life dream compared to great smelling deodorant.

Wow.

"It's hot ham water."
FoodSciGeek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't classify myself as a bandwagon jumper since I became a fan due to geography, not because the team was suddenly doing well. I can't imagine how exciting it must be for a long term fan who's been through all the lean years. A co-worker of mine from Seattle was telling me about a friend of his who gave up his seasons tickets this year after many seasons. He must be crushed! I wonder if he'll even be able to get season tickets next year, or if there will be a waiting list.

I was thinking about having some friends over for dinner in a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll make it a Superbowl party. I love doing finger foods...chicken wings, ribs, mini meatballs, veggies, chips and dip and lots and lots of beer.
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will not be doing much cooking, just a small plate of mini BLT's. The rest of my time will be devoted to the bottle of champagne I plan to bring.

FoodSciGeek, It's alright if you're not an O.G., just don't go from zero to belly painting.

"It's hot ham water."
Erin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Stevie singing was good luck, sadly it was for Pittsburg. Oh well, they had their best season ever. My brother is pretty bummed though.

"It's hot ham water."
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sports fans are a doomed species. The elation of victory never lasts. The agony of defeat is a scar to be borne for eternity. How cruel it is to tantalize us with small victories during the game, fanning the flames of hope that the ultimate prize will be ours. Crush those boors who cheer for the other team, we cry. But then, the smile of triumph on the faces of those very boors is simply too much to bear as the prize is hoisted aloft by the legions of darkness. Is there no god? Worse.....what shall we do with the leftover champagne?
Erin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You kill me.

"It's hot ham water."
FoodSciGeek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB, what a poetic way of saying, "Steelers fans and their terrible towels suck!"

I always pick a team for Superbowl, but this was the first time I actually really cared. My condolences to your brother Erin as a much longer term fan than me. I'm going to have to deal with some major gloating from my Dad and brother who both picked Pittsburg (cause their loser team has been out for 2 rounds).
Erin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FoodSciGeek,
I just hope they are better than my in-laws who are from PA. When I got home from the party last night there were many gloating messages left by them with promises of more tonight.
The thing they really got me with though is they said that Stevie Wonder sucks, them's fightin words. So because of that I talked a bit more trash than I usually do. Seriously though, it's Stevie.

"It's hot ham water."
Zoe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all the disappointed Seahawks fans out there: Just remember, Pittsburgh fans can enjoy their victory, but as Chicago Bear wisely pointed out, it never lasts.

And then they'll be stuck with yet another season of Pirates baseball. Ouch.

CB - surely you do not require a reason to drink champagne?
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoe wrote:
CB - surely you do not require a reason to drink champagne?

I've always thought that I did need a reason, actually. But that's just goofy. From now on, I'm a liberated Bear, able to drink champagne for no reason. THANK YOU ZOE!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: