Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

guess who's coming to dinner!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: guess who's coming to dinner! Reply with quote

every so often I imagine the 5 people (alive at present, or not! fictional characters....mythical) who I would invite to dinner...circular table ..and the most comfortable chairs in existence...under the stars dining...away from the lights of the city...the heavens would provide the necessary light! a magical feast ~ a gloriously illogical feast..

over the years the list has changed...as I've changed I guess!

today's list...Clotilde (bien sur!), van Gogh, Keith Richards, Chanel, MFK Fisher.

as for the food ~ that for another day..

golly gosh, what names will appear in the next few days..can't wait to see them..
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame, you are a genius! Fantastic topic, I'm thinking of who will be on my guest list.
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great thing to chew on!

I guess I'd invite Fred Rogers or his other incarnation Garrison Keillor for their enormous kindness and appreciation of people's humanity, Katherine Hepburn because I'd bet she'd not only be fascinating but p*ss one or two people (maybe even me) off, Amy Tan or Karen Blixen because they're such brilliant story tellers, Richard Nixon NOT because I've ever admired him, or anything, but because it would be soooooo interesting to get his perspective on current American politics and my grandfather because it would be soooo wonderful to be with him again.

This was FUN! Can I have them all over and brighidsdaughter's new Thanksgiving Day menu? Bliss!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a special treat, because of your enthusiasm for the topic, you may invite 3 more to dinner Idea

Karen Blixen ...a born storyteller just as Rudolph Nureyev was a born dancer...imagine them in the heavens...

the Nixon choice is a fascinating one...

imagine inviting Zeus to dinner!

Happy and Joyous Thanksgiving to all those celebrating..
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madameshawshank wrote:
you may invite 3 more to dinner Idea

Fabulous! Because, of course, soooo many fascinating people are excluded by the rule of 5.

OK. I'll invite Ann Lee who founded the Shaker movement because she inspired what was probably the greatest flowering of American style, grace, creativity and industry and also because her thoughts on the aggressiveness of some current American Christians would be of enormous interest, Thomas Jefferson to get his point of view on how we're doing sheparding the democracy that the Founding Fathers risked so much for and designed so brilliantly and Eddie Izzard because he's wickedly funny and equally perceptive.

Now I look forward to hearing everyone else's ideas because I know for everyone I remembered there must be a dozen other interesting people and characters.

Oh crap! I just realized I don't want to give up one person but I totally forgot Mark Twain! Shocked And Mahatma Ghandi! Shocked At one point I meant to say Phythagoras because I'd love to know how someone could be soooo abstract that they could intuit pi and the foundations of mathematics! And what about the whole Middle Eastern and Asian world that I don't know a damned thing about but they invented banking and algebra and zero fergodsake!

I should be out in the kitchen cooking but my brain is reeling now...[/b]
David

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who to choose? Who to choose?

Napoleon Bonaparte, I think he would be fascinating if somewhat egotistical, and because he is much shorter than I.

Elizabeth I, now there was a strong minded and strong willed woman and I also want to find out more about this "virgin" queen thing.

Tommy Douglas, only a household name in Canada, but a wonderfully wise and kind man, great orator and social visionary and witty as all get out, and because he is much shorter than I.

The Dalai Lama to shed a spiritual perspective on the world today.

Eleanor of Aquitaine just to spin tales of her amazing life and times!

And of course, we'd have Julia do the cooking!
megs

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Brand new here, jumping in.... Reply with quote

Best to everyone, including our American friends with their turkeys and pies.

I think my ideal intimate dinner would be thus:

*my dear, sweet friend Brian, who is witty, wry, and good company without fail...

*Calvin Trillin, because he is witty and delightfully wry as well.

*David Sedaris, to make us all laugh out loud.

*Garrison Keillor is marvelous...a great, gentle turn of phrase.

*my friend Rene, who is literate and generous with his heart and thoughts.

All men....goodness.
David

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Sedaris!!!! What a fabulous choice, should have thought of him myself. He is one of my best selling authors.

Can't believe I left Gertrude Stein off my list, it would be interesting to see her interact with other strong women like Eleanor and Elizabeth, so if I add GertrudeStein then perhaps I'd have Alice B. spell Julia off in the kitchen!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was reading through the previous posts the first person that popped into my mind was David Sedaris. I just began to decorate the house for the holidays and ran across my favorite holiday item, Holidays on Ice. I was just discussing with friends how with age our holiday stories are no longer Frosty the Snowman or The Night Before Christmas but have changed to Dina the Christmas Whore and Santa Land Diaries.

The next person would have to be Yo-yo Ma. There is nothing to me quite like the solo cello and he is incomporable.

Maurice Sendak, because I owe a very active imagination to him.

Jon Stewart, because no one can make me laugh at a sad state of affairs like he does.

Any member of The Velvet Underground, so I can thank them for laying the road for punk rock.

If it was only chefs it would be, Tony Bourdain, Ina Garten, Jamie Oliver, Julia Child and Jacque Pepin. Oooh, and I would beg Clotilde to cook for us!

This was hard.

"It's hot ham water."
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Harry Connick Jnr's choice! Reply with quote

I read, I think in Vanity Fair, not sure! His choice was Louis Armstrong, Jesus, and his mom. Maybe he was given a list of 3 ~ here at c 'n z we'
re much more generous Very Happy
simona

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: guess who's.. Reply with quote

As usual, I have no idea when this topic was posted ( the only date - the eternal 10/o 3/05 can't be real forever. But makes one think, what does our choice of gust tell us about us?
I would be happy to hear what Marx has to say about the fate his socio-economic prophecies, Freud about global libido, Bethoven about techo "music", Napoleon on the war in Iraq ( or elewhere) and Einstein about the relativity of all that. That's ( one) of my choice for a five people guest list/
But as for enjoying my dinner, some good friends, a bottle of cold vodka and a lot of herring and good cheese will make me really happy.
If some or none of the above is available ( Napoleon might prefer David's invitation..), Voltaire and Talleyrand will do. The others, and there are many of them, will have to wait ...
Who do I think I am, anyway??
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd invite my Grandmother (maternal) as she always had great stories to tell about arriving in Australia as a young bride in 1920. And the chef ( the wonderful Tetsyua Wakuda) would prepare the fresh crab or fresh water cray my Grandfather caught.
sparrowgrass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie here--great forum!

I would invite Sacacawea, Thomas Jefferson, Mark Twain, Robin Williams and my sister. I would expect lots of great stories, and lots of laughter.

I'd ask TJ to bring the wine!
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to sleep on this one, to figure out who I'd like to spend time with at an imaginary dinner party. After a good 10 hours sleep, I came up with my list:

1) Johnny Depp: The coolest of the cool, I've adored his acting style since What's Eating Gilbert Grape? Whenever I've seen him interviewed or read interviews, he's so similar in mindset to myself, I have to keep saying, "Hey! That's MY answer!" Hands down, he's my favorite actor and I love the challenges he takes from being a pirate to a drug-lord, to a famous author to a chocolate factory owner. And, he lives in France!

2) God: If Joan of Arcadia can talk to God, than so can I! After the movie Dogma, I have my own questions that I'd like to ask Her/Him.

3) Joan of Arc: I've been fascinated with her since childhood and have read every book that I could find on her, from Mark Twain's version to other bios. Also, i've seen every film done on her. Plus, she's from France and would have loads to say to God...and Johnny Depp.

4) My Best Friend, Claire, she of the brilliant mind and ability to make all people feel comfortable. She shares my passion for films and books, and went to Joan of Arc's birthplace this past year with her daughters. I couldn't have a dinner party without her.

5) Rod Serling: No one man has influenced me more than Rod Serling and his Twilight Zone episodes. They were the psycological "Mother's Milk" that nursed my infant brain and created the person I am today. Remember: "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean They're not watching you!"
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just delighted that this topic got ressurected. I'm reading all your nominations with great interest!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: