Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Greece in July

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Greece in July Reply with quote

My soon-to-be 18 year-old daughter has decided that she wants to go to Greece for her high school graduation trip. My wife and I insist on going with her. We are tentatively looking at a couple of days in Athens, then four days in Santorini (my wife's choice) and another four days in Lesvos (my choice). I would appreciate whatever help I can get: Restaurants in Athens and on those islands, reasons why those islands are a good choice or a disastrous choice, better islands that should be picked instead, things that we must do in Athens (or must not do). My last visit was in 1972, so my experience is not what you would consider current. In fact, they were just finishing the Acropolis when I was last there, and bragging about kicking some Spartan butt in one of their wars.
MJBodell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Greece in July Reply with quote

Naxos is very cool.

I think Athens is not that great... you really only need a day there. Its a big dirty city... the real beauty of Greece is on the islands.
simona

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pity you are not an engineer/architect, so you could have helped them with the building. Look what happened to it after 34 years.... As for the war, with Papandreos instead of Pericles... well, that's life.
When in Athen, do take a good hotel if you can, it's not Switzerland, and july is hot, very hot, and good air condition is a must. I think you do have more to see than one day. Besides the Acropolis and the crumbling Caryatides( it's your fault!!) there are two good museums - the Archeological and the Benaki Museums, it's worth to go up to the Lycabbetus. The Plaka is nice for the first time, though overtouristic, especially in the summer.
As for the islands. I don't know Lesvos. But I do know Santorini. It's one of the most beautiful islands, but none more touristic than this one. I remember it in 1979, when I had to climb up on a donkey and I went crazy with fear ( I'm a geek concerning physical adventures). No problem today, you can either fly or take the cable car. But the view is unique. Personally, I wouldn't go to Santorini in July, but I can't deny its beauty. Maybe Mykonos could compete, but it's also over touristic and overcrowded, and the view is less interesting. Sunset in Santorini .WOW!!!
Lucky girl!
There is still time, and if i'll remember something important,I'll write after I return from Paris.

No more war, more Santorini sunsets!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been there, but I really want to visit Crete and check out the minoan ruins. That would be very cool.

"It's hot ham water."
stina74

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,
I went to Santorini in early June last year and had a wonderful time, though it was a little off-season and not too crowded. You could tell that the island´s facilities were dimensioned for much much more people! We lived in Kamari where you could take the local bus (very cheap and quick) both to the main town Fira and the sunset town Oia, the sunset was really stunning in Fira and Imerovigli too!
I think that almost all restaurants were good so I don´t have any special tips, but try to visit some wineries when you are there. We went to Canava Roussos for a wine-tasting session which was very good, and also to a smaller place, Art Space, which was both a winery, an art gallery and a wine-making museum run by a very nice man. Buy some Santorinian sweet red wine which was totally delicious! Vinsanto I think it was called.

Avoid the expensive trips to the volcano island if you are not crazy about geology, it was already in June absolutely boiling hot and quite boring! I felt sorry about the donkeys climbing the stairs in Fira and Oia with heavy tourists on their backs and walked by myself instead but nearly fainted from exhaustion... You really must have sunhats and lots of water with you all the time.
There are at least two archeological sites, one up on the mountain over Kamari and one on the other side of the island somewhere, both very interesting but especially the latter where they are investigating a whole ancient town and everything is also indoors so you can escape the hot sun for a while. Oh, and there is this village near Kamari (can´t remember the name) which was abandoned in the 1950´s after an earthquake, very fascinating and a little spooky.
If you want more details on Santorini you are very welcome to contact me!
David

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah July in the Greek Islands!!! Well don't do what a lot of mostly German tourists were doing back in 1978 when my partner and I spend a month on Poros and Paros----nude sunbathing. (not us , the other tourists) It amazed me to walk along a lovely stretch of beach and admire the bronzed naked backs and legs of thesefit and handsome northern Europeans set off by their brilliant red screaming butts!!!!! Then later in the pubs you'd see folk who could barely sit down and women holding their tops an inch or two away from their chests to avoid any skin to fabric contact.

But then again Chi Bear, somehow i don't think nude sunbathing is high on your list of family things to do together on a holiday!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: