Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Cooking and Eating in Switzerland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SWISS_CHEF

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Cooking and Eating in Switzerland Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,
I live in a town called Sulz 30 minutes from both Zürich and Basel and 5 minutes from Germany and 40 minutes from France. The center of the wheel you might say. We shop for our groceries in France Germany and Switzerland so we get a GREAT cross selection of ingredients. Restaurants in the German section of Switzerland can be less than inspiring but Zürich has some pretty cutting edge chefs.

WHAT,WHERE AND WITH WHOM ARE YOU EATING IN SWITZERLAND???

Barbara

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years ago we visited Biel and the family of an AFS student we had hosted. We almost got off the train at the German Basel station, not knowing there was a Swiss Basel station where we were to get our connecting train to Biel.

We really enjoyed the local cheeses and cured meats our hostess Katrina served for breakfast....and the wonderful Swiss butter. She served all the traditional Swiss foods - fondue, raclette and even horse meat. Fritz made his own kirsch and we had a few shots and more each evening. He manages to send me a bottle to NZ whenever he knows of someone passing this way. A beautiful part of the world.
swan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Züricher geschnettseltes.....what else! At Mövenpicks, or elsewhere. YUM!!

and all the food in the wintersportshotel of my childhood, the best food...Valbella Inn in Valbella.(bundner gerstensuppe, salmon in sesame crust, raclette..) I might go back there one of these days, and not just for the skiing!!
swan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I forgot one...Engadiner Nusstorte!!!
tennoji

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Roesti Reply with quote

Of course Engadiner Nusstorte, but also Fideriser Torte from the Praettigau Valley. I grew up in Klosters and eating these tortes. When on a mountain, nothing beats Gerstensuppe and Roesti.
SWISS_CHEF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of cheese... Very Happy

We go every Fall to the Käseteilets in the Berner Oberland. The cheese is way-way-way beyond good and NOTHING like store bought cheese. We usually look for some hobelkäse that is at least two years old and the best is three. I have tried hard cheeses all over the world but I have never found any as good as the Swiss hand made un-pasteurized mountain cheeses. It is amazing to taste the different cheeses from the same villages and see how they differ! There are always two or three champions in the group. It's like getting a Chateau Latour for the same price as all the other Bordeaux.

Käseteilets are truly one of the great culinary secrets of Switzerland.

Ed
hys

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mehlsuppe during Fasnacht.

Rosenkuechli during Herbstmesse!
MarieStrawberry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Swiss food - warm and yummy Reply with quote

Although im not swiss, i go there every year with my family on our summer break to stay with family friends, mainly in Zurich and Davos..
I have to say I Razz LOVE: Engadiner Nusstorte (but only a very small slice!! it is so sweet and delicious) and Himbeer Torte from cafe Schneider in Davos and in Zurich i like the chocolates and the Luxemburgli at cafe Sprungli - oh and i also like basler lackerli. Bunder Gerstensuppe is also a favourite and also there are of course many nice cheeses..I like appenzeller... I had a very nice meal at the Steinbock in KLosters and the globus food market in ZUrich has some nice things.. but i also had a very good roast wild boar courtesy of some family friends in Toggenburg (Im so sorry if i spelt that wrong!!!) Swiss food is very comforting,,, Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: