Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

corn bread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: corn bread Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Please can someone share with me a good corn bread recipe! I made it for the first time today and it was well like um.................... I don't know. I don't know what it is supposed to taste like and the texture was very grainy. I didn't enjoy it much with the chilli I made for supper but it was great with butter and marmalade on it as a snack.

It did look similar to the picture in the book tho.

Isis Shocked
Donna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Yay! Another post where being raised a southern girl pays off! Corn bread is one of those dishes that's passed down gentically in my family. In fact - even my mother could make good cornbread, and she was definitely culinarily challenged! Wink

I'm not sure what you mean by grainy. If you mean dry - that's not good. You are looking for a nice moist crumb. I often eat my cornbread without butter - it is moist enough to do that. I actually mix my own cornmeal to get the crunchiness that I enjoy in cornbread. I use half polenta - or coarse ground corn meal - and half fine or medium ground corn meal.

Here is my family recipe and some other ideas I've tried over the years:

2 C. corn meal (see above)
1 C. milk
6 Tbsp. butter
1 egg
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 425ยบ F.

I use an 8" cast iron skillet. I put that in the oven with the butter to melt the butter and heat up the pan (nice crust).

While the butter is melting, mix the cornmeal, baking powder and salt and make a well. Beat the egg into the milk and pour in the well. Add the melted butter and stir with a fork or spatula until it is just blended - DO NOT OVER MIX.

Pour into the skillet and put in the oven for 20-25 minutes. It should be lightly browned on top. It should slip easily out of the skillet and you can cool it a little on a rack or serve immediately.

Some changes/additions -

You can add cheddar cheese and creamed corn

Some people add chopped green chilis and cheese when they serve it with chili. (I don't know if I'd go with jalapenos, unless you have an amazing constitution and know that everyone who will be eating it can manage that.)

Instead of milk, you can use yoghurt - it gives it a little tartness - very subtle.

Some people add a little sugar - I don't care for it.

So, enjoy! I hope you come up with a batch you are happy with! Laughing
isis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: corn bread Reply with quote

Thanks Donna,

I will try it tomorrow when I heat up the chilli again.

My effort was definatly not a nice moist crumb. It wasn't exactly dry either. It was crunchy on the outside. I think I may of over mixed it.

I like the idea of putting cheese in the mix. My recipe called for buttermilk and had oil instead of butter.

Isis
Donna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Isis - Keeep me posted on how it turns out!

Laughing

Donna
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: