Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The very best cookbooks, ever....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Epi_B

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: The very best cookbooks, ever.... Reply with quote

My collection of cookbooks is quite large and I love many of them for different reasons.

My number one favorite is "The Gift of Southern Cooking" partially because I'm from the south originally and partially because of the beautiful story of the friendship between Edna Lewis and Scott Peacock. The recipes are wonderful. I'm also a big fan of Nigella Lawson's "How to be a Domestic Goddess." Every recipe in that book is truly inspired and beautiful.

My question is what are the most prized, most recommended or indispensible books that you own and why?
myredstars

Location: Home: Charlotte, NC; Currently studying in Vitznau, Switzerland

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: books and more books. Reply with quote

I confess that I am most likely to ask for a cookbook as a gift and I typically don't walk out of a bookstore without one.
When I read this post, the first three (yes, three) books that came to mind were:
1. Nigella's How to Be A Domestic Goddess: I concur with what you said. I just made her chocolate hazelnut cake over the weekend, and my I say Bravo. But of course, any cake that calls for a whole container of Nutella will be delish right?
2. Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook: This is the first true cookbook that I started working from. It taught me how to make my favorite cookie, Oatmeal Raisin, and remains my 'go-to', when I have a question about baking.
3. Thomas Keller's The French Laundry: Likely my most favorite at current. This is more than a cookbook. It's a legacy. I cannot get enough of this man's meticulous manner and well written word. If you've ever read a recipe from this book, you can appreciate why I have not yet attempted.
Leo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Sour Salty Sweet by Jeffery Alford and Naomi Duguid

They also did Seductions of Rice, Flatbreads and Flavours, Mangoes and Curry Leaves and a World Homebaking book - ALL very good.

http://www.hotsoursaltysweet.com/
Epi_B

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coobooks certainly can be verging on an addiction sometimes. My most recent love is a book called "Crazy Water Pickled Lemons" by Diana Henry. Enchanting dishes from the Middle East, Mediterranean and North Africa.

I was completely amazed no one had brought it up before. Now I see it's because there is a whole forum devoted to this subject Shocked !

Here I go off to read the old posts......
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest favourite is another by Thomas Keller - Bouchon. We ate there last year and I have faithfully followed his quiche recipe to replicate the quiche we had there. Delicious!

Epi_B, you're right, there are a few threads on cookbooks ...

Which cookbook do you use the most?

Books for cooks

Beautiful Cookbooks

And our beloved MFK Fisher has her own corner

Then there's one on Magazines for foodies!

So there's a bit of reading for you!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: