Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Paris with Food Intolerances
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
villacollinette

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie -- NAET was originally based around acupuncture, but my doctor uses acupressure techniques instead, so I have yet to see a needle. But since you really do dislike needles, you should make sure the practitioner uses acupressure, if you do decide to go with NAET.

I, too, have found that doctors can be unbelievably arrogant when dealing with people. You would think they would have a little more willingness to listen to the person who's been walking around in a body for their whole life, but instead they treat the body and ignore the information and advice of the person inside too much of the time. And as a result, make a huge mess of the whole experience.

I have been much more comfortable with alternative medicine, since the practitioners really listen a lot more, and treat their patients as a whole person, rather than just a body or (worse) a single symptom. And they don't dismiss smaller complaints (fatigue, just feeling off-color) as irrelevant. I am so thankful that I live someplace where I can see doctors who specialize in alternative medicine, and have it mostly covered by insurance/state coverage!
Jaclyn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, so many responses!

No, I have not tried NAET, though it's interesting to hear about. At the moment, I'm actually prepping to get tested for Coeliac Disease. So, in spite of the utter success of my gluten-free diet, I now have to eat a little bit of gluten everyday so that, if I do have CD, the antibodies build up and they can find it in my blood-work.

So while it stinks that I'm going to have to deal with the pain/fatigue that I get from gluten, this *does* mean that I will get to have a little bit of gluten (the equivalent of two slices of bread per day) while in Paris as my blood test is not until after I return. I will try to remain mostly gluten-free while I am there, but for those two slices of bread (or equivalent) per day, I will choose wisely. Very Happy

For the gluten-free items, I will stick with Colline and Naturalia (which was suggested by someone else)--thank you for the comments!

And to join in on the medical conversation...I've had extensive experience with medical doctors and now have a fair bit of experience with my naturopathic doctor. Both have their benefits and drawbacks. However, I am finding that my ND is more interested in the whole picture of my health, while my MDs have been more interested in suppressing painful/bothersome symptoms (which is decent for quality of life issues, but doesn't address the problem very well). So I agree with you there, villacollinette!
villacollinette

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ability/need to eat some gluten on your trip will definitely mean you will experience more of the French food, though I hope it doesn't leave you feeling too poorly. Hopefully it will feel like a nice break from your more restricted diet . . .

I ate gluten free for about four months when I was at the height of my allergies, and was AMAZED at how difficult it was -- so many hidden sources of gluten in food, like ice cream, soy sauce, vinegar, fruit yogurt and even the malt flavoring in rice and corn cereals! It gave me a really high degree of respect for those who have the dedication to maintain the diet in the longterm.

I hope your test goes well. I considered having it done, but in the end decided that being diagnosed mattered less than just getting it fixed, so I went with the treatments. The common wisdom is that Coeliac Disease is not curable, but please do look into alternative treatments! The common wisdom is just not always correct.
Brown

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

What a coincidence. I'm gluten sensitive and am going to Paris on Friday for the weekend. I was wondering if you did come across any gluten free restaurants or at least those who are pretty good about accomodating? It would be great to go to a good restaurant stress-free! I'm having some freinds check as well and will certainly pass on whatever I learn.

Hope you're eating well.
Jaclyn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown wrote:
Hi there!

What a coincidence. I'm gluten sensitive and am going to Paris on Friday for the weekend. I was wondering if you did come across any gluten free restaurants or at least those who are pretty good about accomodating? It would be great to go to a good restaurant stress-free! I'm having some freinds check as well and will certainly pass on whatever I learn.

Hope you're eating well.

A friend of Clotilde's generously passed on to me this list of restaurants sensitive to the needs of gluten-intolerant people. I hope they are of help to you (and I'm not too late--with any luck, you're still checking in here from Paris)!

Miss Betsy 23, r. Guillaume-Tell 75017 PARIS
T 01 42 67 12 67
Metro: Péreire

Willi's Wine Bar - 13, r. des Petits-Champs - 75001 PARIS
T 01 42 61 05 09
Metro: Bourse

A deux pas du trois - 101 rue Vieille du Temple - 75003 PARIS
T 01 42 77 10 52
Métro: Hotel de Ville

Somo - 168 rue Montmartre - 75002 Paris
T 01 40 13 08 80
Métro: Grand Boulevard

Café Barge - 5 Port de la Rapée - 75012 Paris
T 01 40 02 09 09

She also passed onto me the name of a franchise, Naturalia, which has some gluten-free products. You can find store locations here:
http://www.naturalia.fr/pages/magasins.asp?rub=10
floridamink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found two more places that seem to be able to accomodate gluten free diners in Paris.

Le Charlain - 23, rue Clauzel tel` 01 48 78 7440

Le Reminet - 2, rue des Graands-Degres - tel` 01 44 07 0424

I can not personally vouch for either place as I've yet to try them.
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so excited........

We have had a Naturalia open up a few doors down!!! Laughing

WooHoo..... yummy treats for Debbie! Yummy treats for Debbie! Laughing

(and the best bit... no side effects... hooray!)
floridamink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell me what that store offers that is sans gluten that is so yummy? I plan to shop there on arrival to Paris and can't afford to buy stuff that I throw out due to bad taste. Specifically I'm looking for good breakfast type items as our hotel can't accomodate me.
gisele

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I can not help you with your request Jaclyn, I hope you have a fantastic holiday. Also, you are very lucky to have been able to find such a good naturopathic doctor who works well for you!

When I was little, I used to have a very minor intolerance to the nightshade family too, which seems to react with a lot of people. My reaction was terrible nightmares, they were quite bad and i would scream and scream, but it was impossible to wake me. Mum worked out that I got them whenever I ate anything from the Solanaceae family...so no potatoes, tomatoes, aubergine, capsicum etc for 10 years. She said the nightmares stopped as soon as these were removed from our diet. People thought we were nuts, but it worked *shrug*

I can now eat all these things, but too many potatoes do still give me nightmares, so i try to keep that to a minimum.

Interestingly, my boyfriends sister has just completed a nursing degree, and they were told time and time again during the course that "alternative medicines were absolute rubbish". I found that abhorrent, what's wrong with keeping an open mind?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: