Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Olympics!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched it, Madame! I'd never miss the figure skating.

Plushenko (the Russian) is indeed spectacular - and to me, personal best or not, it wasn't even his top performance. Johnny Weir (the wonderful swan) said before the competition the rest of them are skating for silver. And now he's a position to get it! Free skate's tonight, and good luck to the very talented group going for the medals.

Enjoy the skiing lessons... Very Happy
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love when you write haiku's, and this dedicated to moi! Extra lessons for you, no charge!

"It's hot ham water."
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

downhill haiku for Olympic Postergal Erin

"a terrific run"
icesnow slicing it seems swish
Winter particles

looking forward to the lessons! not sure about the tight-fitting gear! might opt for the mogul look ~

Erin...I could haiku night and day...year in and year out...the fun of syllable counting...fun maths Wink

Went through a truly addictive time....I'd be listening to someone's story..a tale of life..and before I knew it ...there it was...instant haiku...so, dear Erin, I'm happy as Larry (I wonder if that's a saying peculiar to Oz?) that you enjoy them...

icecream haiku

Nero Charles the First
two of many scrumptious taste
a gelato dream
Erin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame, Phil and I are ice skating this weekend, I hope visions of my attempted twirls,leaps and final crashes will inspire you.
I promise no lycra. I dress more like a snowboarder, no wishes to display my lycra covered bum to the world.
I can't wait till we hit the bunny hill, there is always some great eye candy at the lift. My friends and I used to pretend to fall so the cute guys would come and help us up. What can I say it was junior high.
Did I mention that my first job was working weekends at a ski resort? We got a free season pass, and forgot that we actually got paid.

"It's hot ham water."
FoodSciGeek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erin,

In non-competitive curling we play eight ends, so the eighth end is the last end (in competitive, they play ten). The other eight term is an eight ender. Each team throws eight rocks, so if all your rocks are in scoring position, you score an eight ender, which is a very rare and spectacular acheivement.
Erin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have explained more than you know! Thanks FoodSciGeek! Since learning a bit I have become entranced by the game.

"It's hot ham water."
Erin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very excited to see the snowboard cross debut last night. GO SETH WESCOTT!
I have finally decided who I am rooting for in the women's figure skating competition, Kimmie Meissner. I saw an interview with her, she is so adorable you just want to put a bow on her head. She is supposed to be one of the top jumpers in the world and the second woman to hit a triple axel in competition. The first was, ahem, ahem Tanya Harding, let's hope Kimmie's career turns out a bit better.

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a mother alive who wouldn't want to take Jeffrey Buttle under her wing!! What a performance, from 6th to a bronze! Plushenko was of course astonishing.

Curling remains one of my favourite things to watch, I've played of course, everyone in Saskatchewan throws rocks at one time or another, but the expertise shown by the real pro is amazing. I do miss the sound of the old brooms slapping though!
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, David - Jeffrey Buttle is absolutely adorable, but I was really disappointed with the men's competition yesterday. It just didn't seem up to what these guys are capable of (other than Plushenko and Lysacek); how Lambiel got a personal best for what he did is beyond me, and Buttle was so good at worlds last year, I just expected more... I do admire his guts, though, as he did not have an easy start but still fought through. Am keeping my fingers crossed for cleaner skating in Calgary next month! It's always more fun to watch when everyone's at their best.

Re the women, have only seen Kimmie Meissner skate once, and I hear she's shelved the triple axel because it's been inconsistent for her (I think some of the Japanese women have landed them in competition, too). Am curious to see what kind of program she'll come up with and how well she does - maybe she'll throw in the axel after all? Either way, I trust no knee-bashing plots are in her future...

My personal favorite is Carolina Kostner from Italy - she can be sooooo good. Have you ever seen her skate, Erin? She's really wonderful to watch. Irina Slutskaya is also great and seems to have a great personality from the interviews I've seen.
Erin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen Karolina Kostner or Jeffrey Buttle perform. I actually fell asleep for part of the men's program last night so I missed him. I will keep an eye out for her next week.
I don't really think Kimmie is going to win, I just think she is totally adorable.
Plushenko was wonderful, he more than deserved the gold. I know this is mean, but I am glad wonderboy Wier didn't medal, such an ego on that boy. I also liked the guy from Belgium, in the pirate suit. He had a really fun program, I loved the music, not to mention the fact that he's hot.

"It's hot ham water."
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, I feel vindicated... I just told someone today that other than being really good, Kevin van der Perren was also totally hot, only to be told that I'm "very strange". Yay! I am not alone!
Erin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The person you were talking to is the crazy one. Despite being dressed in a pirate costume he has very handsome slightly rugged good looks. If I wasn't married......hee,hee!

"It's hot ham water."
Erin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Sweden! Those girls played one of the best games of hockey I have ever seen! The Swedish goalie really gave it everything she had. Although Canada is my sentimental favorite I am really pulling for the Swedish ladies.

"It's hot ham water."
FoodSciGeek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can hardly wait to go home at watch the re-play of the US/Sweden hockey game now! This is going to do amazing things for Women's hockey, not just in Sweden, but all over the world. I'm sure many a girl's/women's hockey program has suffered from the fact that in the very short history of women's hockey, it's been all Canada/US. Where's the incentive when no one else seemed to come even close.

Of course, I'll have to cheer for Canada, but it's a very good thing to see.
Donna

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Haiku tribute to Johnny Weir Crying or Very sad

Weir late for the bus
Skates not his best perfomance
Oh, Unhappy Swan

- And Lindsey Jacobellis

Ahead on her board
Lindsey hotdogs a bit much
Gone - the victory

Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: