Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Olympics!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Olympics! Reply with quote

Oh Canada! These guys, well actually gals are rocking Torino! Last night with the moguls and again today with hockey.
I had an opening ceremonies party the other night, we had so much fun! I love the sports and am a total sap for the athlete's stories, the more syrupy the better. I thought I would open this thread for those who enjoy the games.

I would appreciate if this thread stays light and fun, no my country is better than yours. Sportsmanship is for the fans too.

"It's hot ham water."
Donna

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erin,

What a great idea! I do love the Olympics, too, and become quite the fan, every four years! Cool Suddenly I am criitiquing axels and lutzes and flying camels - when I can barely do a figure 8!

I am so sorry that Michelle Kwan has had to drop out. She has been one of my favorites, and I can't even imagine what a difficult decision that was for her. But now they can get Emily Hughes over there - as soon as the weather clears up in New York!!!!!! I read (Me- reading the sports pages!) today that they don't take alternates to the games because of the emotional effect on the actual team. Seems a foolish risk to me.

Ah well, Such is the view from the couch!
Zoe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Olympics, and am so happy to be able to watch everything in real time - living in Israel meant having the Salt Lake City events in the middle of the night, which was no fun at all. During Nagano in 98 I was in the military, which sadly does not allow time off simply because the games are on. What's the point of an Olympic truce, then? Very Happy

Figure skating is my favorite, too (Donna - even a figure 8 is beyond my abilities Smile ), but I'm most looking forward to the men's. I think Johnny Weir was right in pointing out it's most likely a battle for the silver and the bronze, but it should still be great.

As for the women, I do feel sorry for Michelle Kwan, who always seemed to me to be be a wonderful competitor, but it didn't appear as though she'd have had a realistic chance of winning that missing gold, even without the injury.

Anyway, good luck to everyone involved, and may none of them fall down...
Erin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a bit bummed about Michelle Kwan also, she is a great competitor and a class act. I have no doubt that Emily Hughes will do a great job in her place.
I am no expert when it comes to ice skating either, though I do enjoy falling on my bum trying to jump and spin. My expertise is in skiing, moguls to be more specific. My uncle was an instructor and taught me pretty well. A good friend and skiing partner was a junior Olympian, so I took a lot more risks and pushed myself in order to look cool. Did I mention he was hot? What can I say I was young.

We have been watching hockey all day, as there is a huge blizzard going on outside. Those Canadian women are amazing, they totally owned the ice.
Did anyone see how the luge turned out last night? I fell asleep.

"It's hot ham water."
Euridice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I live in Torino and it's all so incredible. The town is so full of journalists, athletes, tourists it's unbelievable. I'm really really excited. I have the tickets for hockey on the 16th- Russia vs Norway (my boyfriend is russian).. we'll see how that one goes!

Italy did not do *heavenly* until now.. Only one gold and one bronze, if I remember well. (they're giving the medals to the winning athletes as I'm here typing, I can here the fireworks! The Medals Plaza is not too far from my home).
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic thread! Please share more about being right where it's all happening, Euridice, it must be so exciting.

I worked as a volunteer nurse at some of the soccer matches during the 2000 Olympics - what a buzz! I remember some of the poor Nigerian players being so cold they wore the little hotel plastic shower caps to keep their heads warm.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
David

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the olympics too! It's the only time I watch sports except for golf and some would argue that golf isn't a sport! And I'm pleased the Olympic Committee made that decision a few years back to stage the summer and winter events 2 years apart instead of having them both the same year, this gives me a sports fix every 2 years instead of 2 every 4 years. Having trouble typing this as I dislocated my shoulder Saturday night! (well it managed to get me another dog)
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter what country the athletes are from, I enjoy watching the excellence of the performances. Seeing the Estonian woman winning her country's first gold medal in the cross-country skiing was a blast. But I wish that the athletes didn't have to fail. It's one thing to do your best, and lose to someone who performs better. But to devote your whole life to training--all those endless hours of preparation, all the sacrifices made to get prepared physically and mentally, and then have some small mistake ruin it all in the blink of an eye, it's heartbreaking to see their disappointment. But I'm sure that they would all say that it's better to have struggled and failed than never to have tried. I've never been sorry for the failures I've had, but I have regretted some of the paths not taken. This is what the Olympics do; they make me into a prairie state philosopher.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David!

What happened to your shoulder, so sorry to hear about that, and how did you get another dog .... details please, you know .... name, breed, age, endearing qualities, how are the other dogs liking the new addition.

Take care.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Erin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euridice, Please share any local Olympic info, we would love it! Are you able to attend any events?

Was very sad to hear today of all the accidents that have happened on the downhill course! American Lindsay Kildow, French Carole Montillet-Carles and Canadian Allison Forsyth are just three of the five injured today in practice. Hopefully the weather improves soon, or the winner will be the last one standing.
I am sad about Apolo Ono, does anyone know if he has other events? I am not really into speed skating, but he is from my hometown, in fact his dad used to cut my mom's hair.
Phil is currently tuned into curling, I am trying to get into it, but don't know the rules so that makes it hard. I am excited for the pairs final tonight, although the outcome has already been spoiled for me.

David, I am so sorry you hurt your shoulder! I hope you are able to relax and take care of yourself.

"It's hot ham water."
FoodSciGeek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally love the Olympics too. I'm particulary partial to the winter Olympics because the games/sports I am best at (or more correctly least bad at) are winter sports. I'm also very eager to hear Euridice's experiences because as you may all be aware, the 2010 winter Olympics are here in Vancouver. It's going to be so cool. I'm stuck to the TV now, but when it's here, I'll hopefully get to go to some events. I'm hoping to volunteer at the curling venue.

Erin, I'd be very happy to fill you in on curling. The basic premise is the teams alternate throwing 40 lb granite rocks down the surface of the ice to the house (target) at the other end. Each team throws 8 rocks per end. After all the rocks are thrown, whoever has the rock closest to the center of the house gets points that end. I love curling, it's a great social sport where the winners are required to buy the first round at the bar in the rink. I haven't been able to play the last couple of seasons; last year because of moving and then the dislocated/broken ankle, this year because the bum ankle still isn't sound enough to slide on.

David, I totally sympathize with you on your shoulder. I'm sure it's the last thing you needed right now (not that there's ever a good time). Take care of yourself!

Now to betray a little partisanship: Go Canada Go!
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FoodSciGeek,
I watched the US match against Finland last night, and did pick up a few things such as the objective and technique. What I don't know about are the rules and are their penalties? How long is a curling season? Next time I am in Vancouver can I come curling with you?
That will be so cool to have the Olympics in Vancouver! I have been wanting Seattle to host forever, this is just as good seeing as I like to claim both countries as my own. I wonder how far in advance ticket sales start, and when I would have to book a room. Sure it's a few years off, but I like to plan ahead. Maybe I'll take up curling and go as an athlete.

Oh, and poor Grandma Luge with her broken wrist and $100,000.00 debt. Hopefully a sponsor will step in and help out.

I am so stoked about the half pipe competition! I am happy the men and women both took gold and silver, but with other countries taking bronze it shows just how the sport has taken off around the world. The U.S. is going to be in serious danger by Vancouver. I have to say I love the Flying Tomato, he cracks me up. I saw an interview where he said he wanted to meet Sasha Cohen and figured the gold would raise his chances.

P.S. Cheering for your country is great, I just wanted to discourage people putting other's down.

"It's hot ham water."
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, then, I'll cheer on my country: Go Galit and Sergei! Even though I'll never understand why ice dance is scored the way it is.

Having thus exhausted the supply of Israeli athletes with a chance of doing well, I have to ask - did anyone else catch the pair's figure skating final? The Chinese coming back from that nasty fall was unreal. It seemed extremely painful for her and I was stunned when they indicated they wanted to go on with it. Good for them, and two well deserved medals for China (plus a well deserved gold for the Russians) in the event!

Also, having watched some medal ceremonies last night, I hereby nominate Italy for Prettiest National Anthem heard so far.

Good luck with the curling, Erin Very Happy ! I wish I could have the Olympics close to home...
David

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Judy, it was Saturday night and I let out my 5 beasts for their last out before their cookie and bedtime. Horrendous noises were being made an I noticed the mutts were in full pursuit of another dog. I ran out to make sure no fights ensued, slipped on the ice and dislocated my right shoulder. I knew I had to go to the hospital but was worried I'd never get the dogs back inside. Imagine my surprise to have my five come wandering back quite peacefully along with a beagle with it's nose up Lily"s backside! He wouldn't leave so I left him inside with the rest when the ambulance carted me off to Winchester. I got back home around 3 a.m. and hit the sack about 4, and the beagle slept on the bed with the schnauzers. He is a young, healthy intact male and as delightful as his personality may be I really can't keep him so I'm actively trying to find out where he belongs. I dropped him off today at another beagle household who will take him to the vet's to see if he has a chip. So right now he is there, I'm here with a sling around my neck, coming along quite nicely really.
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw them skate and they were wonderful! Good for them to be able get past the fall and pull it off. The Russian pair was amazing, I was really happy they won. Although they didn't have a chance there was a cute Polish couple that I really enjoyed, they had the kind of performance that makes you smile.

Zoe, Are their many Israeli competitors? You mentioned ice dancing, are they favorites? Go Israel!

Here's a link to Vancouver 2010, http://www.vancouver2010.com/en/WinterGames

"It's hot ham water."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: