Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Forthcoming books of interest
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Forthcoming books of interest Reply with quote

Well I just spent the last few days pawing through a huge stack of catalogues from the Random House group and ran across a few titles some of us might look forward to!

Death by Pad Thai (and other unforgettable meals) edited and with an introduction by Douglas Bauer

"Far from simply fueling the body, food has the power to feed mind and heart as well. In Death by Pad Thai, some of the best writers working today share their stories of a meal that occupies a treasured place in their gustatory memory." This arrives in North America in October, ISBN 0307337847, 13.95US, 18.85Can (sorry I can't cite prices and times in other publishing regions)

In September comes The Little Big Book of Comfort Food by Katrina Fried, Natasha Tabori Fried and Lena Tabori, edited by Diana Van Buren.

"Comfort food is what you want when you come in from the cold, when you've got a cold, when you want to have an intimate conversation, when you want to get your kids settled down, your husband comforted or your mom welcomed. It is the cosiest macaroni and cheese, the crispiest chocolate chip cookie, the perfect pot roast and that lemon meringue pie you have never tried to make.' It is 352 pages, 6 1/2" by 6 1/2 " with 200 illustrations that will appeal to the child in all of us. 24.95US, 38.95Can (but I bet it comes out cheaper than that in Canada)

And for you oenophiles out there A Hedonist in the Cellar (Adventures in Wine) by Jay McInerney, yes the same Jay McInerney of Bright Lights, Big City fame. This is a collection of essays writen for House & Garden over the past 5 years. 24.00US, 35.00Can

Hope these are of interest.
Barbara

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David. I appreciate the advance knowledge. I like the sound of The Hedonist in the Cellar.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, thanks so much for the 'inside info' - gives me an idea of what to look out for here. It will be interesting to see if there's much of a difference in release dates between North America and Oz.

Cheers

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David you rock! I am really trying to emmerse myself in books these days, and am always looking for something new. Too bad we can't buy them from you online.

"It's hot ham water."
Alice

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Davids ReDone Renewed Reviewed Website Reply with quote

David

Erin has a good idea.............revamping your website may spark interest in buying, both on the web, and in the store.

Alice from Toronto Smile
Judy

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're right, David. Greg and I sell books and audiobooks (on Ebay) all over Australia and occasionally overseas. A lot of our buyers are in Western Australia where there aren't many towns, let alone bookshops that sell anything slightly away from mainstream.

The internet gives buyers and sellers a much wider market than just locals, although your bookshop probably attracts people from further away than just 'local'. Do you sell and post much to within Canada, or overseas?

Erin

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do buy at least 90% of my books over the internet. Out here the only cute little corner bookstore is a Borders. Not that great of an inducement.

"It's hot ham water."
Alice

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David

An address for your book store would be benificial on your web page, as well as new and exciting titles of the month. Is there such a thing as an "internet" book club?

Alice
Judy

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alice, if you take a look at www.afterstonewallbooks.com, you'll find plenty of information about David's store, and even some very nice photos of him and his staff.

Erin

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh how exciting! I have never been able to access David's site. Yay David!
I want to have my own book store.

"It's hot ham water."
Alice

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy
Thank-you!......I somehow was only seeing David's site as "under construction", and I suppose was not in the right place at all. OK ....you all have found out....I really am not that techy! My daughter is likely rolling her eyes right at this minute. Fortunately she is not here to witness this latest of my computer skills.
David has a lovely bookstore.....It makes me want to have one too, Erin!!! I have been a member here for a little over a year, and have not replied to any messages. You all sound like a great group of people, and Clothtilde has such a way with words.........and the photographs are wonderful. Not to mention the food ideas. What a great blog.
Alice
Donna

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing David!

What a brilliant llittle haven you've created! I wish I could get up there to see in person and meet you! Yes - we all agree that you should make your books available over the net! The C&Z crowd would keep you busy!

I agree with Alice & Erin - it makes me want a bookstore too! It looks like HOME! Very Happy

And thank you for your recommendations. Summer is coming - when I have time to actually READ for more than 17 minutes before I fall asleep! Rolling Eyes
Alice

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna,

Bookstores have always been a fav of mine. I must admit I do exactly the same thing though. I always have about four books on the go.......but find it hard to stay awake sometimes to read, even though I really want to!

Here's to our own bookstore haven that we can read in all day when we retire!

Cheers, Alice
Erin

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alice,
Even though you're not new to C&Z, welcome!

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw gee and gosh gang, thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. The problem is, in order to make it as an independent bookstore in this world of Chapters/Borders/Amazon one has to find a niche that is not being well served by these chains so I ended up with a purely gay and lesbian bookstore----not really suitable for everyone's nightly reading (but i get to order any book I want for myself at a discount bigger than amazon!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: