Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Low-fat Cake.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Low-fat Cake. Reply with quote

Does anybody have recipes for cakes that are lower on sugar and butter, but still moist and delicious? My low-fat cooking always seems to end up resembling a brick.

I am going home to my parents' this week and my father insists I owe him a cake for fixing some things around my house. As he is supposed to be losing weight, I would like to try a healthier cake.

...But without the heavy, rubbery texture I experience so often in low-fat baking.

PS. Is it just my cooking technique or can I genuinely blame the recipes? :/

Amber x x
Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low fat cakes can be a bit rubbery. Why don't you instead make a sponge cake and decorate with fresh fruit, or a summer pudding (which you can make with frozen berries), or a normal cake mix in cup cakes instead of a huge cake. If you do cup cakes they can be rationed out to him, and you can freeze them individually and each day or so he could have one. I wouldn't make a heavy chocolate mix etc, think more like carrot cake or banana cake which uses the bananas for sweetening and moisture (instead of heaps of sugar and milk/cream/butter).

Good luck!
frantom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: maybe a yogurt cake? Reply with quote

I make a variation on Clothilde's yogurt cake that is pretty light, at least on fat. I also use wheat flour and oats for whole grain, but the turbinado really can't be omitted. Maybe you could reduce it and see what kind of results you get. Of course you could use egg whites or egg substitute to cut the fat even more.

1 small tub plain, full fat yogurt (4 oz)
Use the empty tub to measure:
1/2 tub vegetable oil
2 tubs raw cane sugar, like Sugar in the Raw or turbinado
2 tubs whole wheat or unbleached flour
1 tub oats (or another tub of flour)

3 eggs
2 tsp baking powder (or just one euro packet of the stuff)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or 1 packet of euro vanilla sugar)
1 medium apple, peeled and grated

(2 tubs each of dried cranberries and walnuts
1 tsp orange zest) put whatever you want, fresh berries, dried fruits, roasted nuts (more intense floavor so you can use less...)

Preheat oven to 350 (160 c).
Whisk together yogurt, oil, eggs, and sugar in a large bowl.
Sift in flour, baking powder, and baking soda a little at a time, stirring after each addition.
Stir in vanilla, oats, apple, orange zest, cranberries, and orange zest.

Pour into a greased and floured 10 X 15 cake pan, or two small ones, or twelve muffin tins or whatever...

Before putting in the oven, sprinkle the top of the cake with turbinado sugar and raw oats.

Bake for thirty to forty minutes, maybe even 50 depending on your oven (mine has no temperature markings and no thermostat so who knows... )

It is done when a cake tester or knife or a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center, and the edges have begun to pull away from the side of the tin. (If, for some reason, you decided to make a loaf, it will take longer.)
Amber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: other low-fat snack ideas Reply with quote

How unhealthy do you think a simple apple teacake would be?

I don't think my father cares about what he eats, but my mother, my sister and I certainly do! I think he resents having to cut out anything he enjoys: very, very stubborn.

While on this track, how about low-fat snack ideas? Things to keep him from eating copious amounts of nuts, biscuits and bread?
MarieStrawberry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Healthy Indulgence (could that be an oxymoron?) Reply with quote

Idea Ive never tried but perhaps you could try the yoghurt cake as its low in fat and perhaps substitute the sugar with fructose (fruit sugar you can buy in the supermarket ) - personally I have never done it but some of my relatives do use it in their baking..
If it turns out to be successful, maybe we can all eat cakeand live without a guilty conscience!! Very Happy hehe ..

I found this too.. Perhaps you could take out the salt and dill and substitute pumpkin or carrot or some fresh fruit - to make it more of a sweet treat??

Good luck anyway!!

Dilly Zucchini Ricotta Muffins
Click category for more recipes: Muffin Recipes

Average Rating: (2 votes)

Yield: 4 Servings

Ingredients

1 1/2 c Unbleached Flour
2 tb Sugar
3 ts Baking Powder
1/2 ts Salt
3/4 ts Dill Weed
1/4 c Milk
1/2 c Margarine/Butter, Melted
2 ea Large Eggs
2/3 c Ricotta Cheese
1/2 c Shredded Zucchini

Instructions

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line with paper baking cups or grease, 12 muffin-pan cups. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup, level off. In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and dill weed, mix well. In medium bowl combine milk, margarine and eggs. Stir in ricotta cheese and zucchini, beat well. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened (Batter will be stiff). Fill prepared muffin cups 2/3rds full. Bake at 400 degrees F. for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pan and serve.
birgit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also go for sponge cakes with fruit toppings. One piece is about 100 calories as far as I remember, which is not that much compared to other cakes.

Or a combination of different attractively sliced fruit with slightly sweetened ricotta. Carrots are nicely sweet as well. Cream cheese is satisfyingly creamy (the light version is ok tastewise and you can bake with it).

Another possibility is substituting normal flour partially with whole wheat flour. Start with substituting one third or so. Combined with stronger flavors like cinnamon it doesn't taste too "healthy". You can also e.g. put in fruit and nuts (they're not that bad because the fat in nuts is "a good one" -- what about a carrot-hazelnut sponge cake?). In the long run I've found out that you get used to it so much that "normal" cakes start to taste bland (cinnamon-raisin rolls for example). Another good thing is that you don't eat that much of whole wheat products in comparison to normal wheat products.

And most important I think is: don't mention the words "healthy" or "low calories" Wink
These make you feel deprived which is, as I know from experience, really bad for going on with counting calories.

Um, and I won't take fruit sugar if it's not necessary for special health reasons. It is still sugar and if you're not used to it, it does strange things to your digestion ...
Leo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my cakes.. and I have tried over the years to make them a little lighter on occasion, with only mediocre results. The reason is simply the ingredients. Substitutions in baking are tricky. Fat, sugar, eggs and flour all have very specific functions with variations depending on how they are mixed, leavening agents..etc. Any reduction of these can only go so far before the texture becomes flawed.
That said, have you heard of angelfood cake? It is lovely and light, only egg whites and no butter/oil (so lower in fat) but still with plenty of sugar. A little tricky to make for the first time but very complimentary to fresh fruit, especially the tropical delights that I am sure there is no shortage of in Brisbane markets at the moment.
Every region of Italy has a torta di mele (apple cake) ranging from a classic sponge to a near pancake, but they have one thing in common, they use lots of apples to make it very moist and are also relatively low in the butter department. I think that apple tea cake is a great idea.
Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: