Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Original Toll House Cookies?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Original Toll House Cookies? Reply with quote

Anyone got the original recipe for Toll House cookies? I recently bought a package of Nestle chips to get it because I lost my own and it's not the original "original" recipe because I know damned well I used to put a couple teaspoons or tablespoons of water in the dough.
woodstocker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh o! i've actually found that one of the best CCC recipes was on the package of store brand choc. chips. tolhouse and i don't seem to get along very well. sorry that i can't help, but i bet somebody 'round here has it. Sad
VictoriaLH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, I dimly remember that the Joy of Cooking drop style sugar cookies was pretty similar to the Toll House, just add the chips and nuts.
I may be wrong tho, I am at work and I don't have the recipe in front of me.
swan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhm, so what's a toll house cookie?!
woodstocker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swan wrote:

Toll House a brand of chocolate chip by Nestle. On the back of the bag is a recipe for how to make cookies. there's about as many variations as there are for any good cookie, some are much better than others. a lot of times it depends on your personal cookie preferences, of course. i like them soft and chewy, and made with butter. other people like them crispy and made with vegetable shortening.
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swan wrote:

Chocolate chip.

The story is they originated when a woman who operated an inn called "The Toll House" found she didn't have the cocoa powder to make chocolate cookies. She chopped up some chocolate and stirred it in thinking it would melt into the batter and approximate the uniformly chocolate ones she was going for.

When they came out chocolate chip they were an instant hit. Nestle (Nestle again...) is supposed to have paid a nominal amount for the recipe. They came up with uniformly sized and shaped chocolate chips and they've gone on to sell tons of them using her recipe.
Heather

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A favorite from my neighborhood that I can help with!

The original Toll House recipe doesn't have any water in it, unless you are baking at a high altitude. We still have a copy of my grandmother's that she received from the restaurant when it was still in operation. It burned down in 1984. The building skeleton was left for years, but they finally tore the rest of it down about 10 years ago.

Here's a link on the background of the cookie.
http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/story047.htm

Here's the recipe. We never put nuts in it, but to each their own.

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 2/3 cups (11-oz. pkg.)
1 cup chopped nuts

PREHEAT oven to 375° F.

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

(FOR HIGH ALTITUDE BAKING (>5,200 feet): INCREASE flour to 2 1/2 cups; add 2 teaspoonfuls water with flour; reduce both granulated sugar and brown sugar to 2/3 cup each. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit, drop cookies for 8 to 10 minutes and pan cookies for 17 to 19 minutes.)
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, Heather. Now I'm really confused about what "original" recipe I was reading from the back of some package but I'm absolutely positive it included a couple tablespoons of water....

No matter. I'm delighted to have a recipe with a pedigree that goes directly back to Ruth Wakefield.
Sharon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Rainey, I once had a small cookbook written by Ruth Wakefield - "Recipes from the Toll House" or something like that. I don't recall using it for anything other than the Toll House Cookie recipe, and it has long since returned to dust. The cookie recipe called for the baking soda to be dissolved in 1 tsp of water, the mixture of which was to be added alternately with the dry stuff to the butter/sugar/egg mix. I think she called them "Chocolate Crunch Cookies". I love them made with Guittard bits. I whip the sheet out of the oven about 5 min before they're done, slam it on the counter & return it for the balance of baking time. They turn out thin, crispy and perfect.
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an interesting technique!

And how interesting to hear that there was some water involved even though that particular method of using it isn't what I remember. I bet that there's some relationship between what I'm remembering and how someone was inspired to simplify the application of it.
Acadiana

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another excellent chocolate chip cookie recipe is the one that Neiman Marcus has. Its great, its on the internet. You should give it a try, you may like it better than the "original" toll house one.
Jail

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To continue slightly off-topic, my favourite cookie recipe is the topsecret one:
http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/recipedetail.asp?sessionid=&login=yes&id=69&page=

adding an extra 1/2 cup flour and some cocoa powder. The essential thing is to not overbake these lovely cookies ..

Those are really really good. (here should been an emoticon - but we surelt lack a yummy-smiley Smile
jclnetwork

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Original tollhouse cookies with water Reply with quote

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,183,150160-225196,00.html

The original was shown as only 1/2 the recipe and called for 1/4 tsp of water. For the full recipe we are used to, use 1/2 tsp of water. Follow the link above for information from cooks.com for the original recipe from 1940.
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much! That's the one I remember. And it's nice to know I didn't hallucinate it.
olivia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this site.

It has recipes from sites across the internet including the ones above.

http://www.familyoven.com/search.jsp?search_name=nestle+toll+house+cookies

use the filtering tools on the left of the screen. Also use the "ingredients" field to specify ingredient you want......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: