Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Saved Some Big $$$

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Saved Some Big $$$ Reply with quote

I just got the Williams-Sonoma catalogue. Maybe some of you remember that I've gone very negative on W-S, their outrageous prices and dumb, trendy goods.

So at the top of page 22 of the March catalogue are some attractive yellow ware canisters. I like 'em. I like 'em a lot. ...that's why I bought them when they were on sale at Target about 6 months ago. W-S is charging $99 for a set of four. I bought them priced individually. I think I might have paid $5 for the largest one. The others were proportionately less.

Yay for me! Very Happy But what does W-S think it's doing selling Target merchandise at 5x the price! Shocked Evil or Very Mad

Target had the bowls too but I never considered them and never looked at the prices since I have sooo many bowls at this point that I couldn't justify any more.

OTOH, the Staub roasting pan shaped like a chicken on page 39 is gorgeous. Oh how I wish I could afford that! ...perhaps it will turn up at Target. Ri-ight. Wink
Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a bit cheeky selling so expensively something that Target has so cheaply.

My husband always says that big shops like that are in the business of making money not making friends..... well, with that kind of mark up they are definately raking in the cash!

Good on you Rainey for finding the Target ones first! Wink
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done oh wondrous shopper you!

I remember years back..when digital scales first came on the market...astronomical for me at the time...I dreamt of the day....bingo..was mooching in a local shop..and odds and ends type of shop...and there was my dream...for around $40...cheap as chips at the time...and I use it year in and year out..one of my fav kitchen goodies...
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie- Hope you're feeling well again.

I guess you wouldn't know from where you are but W-S is a very yuppy store and Target is the antithesis — a totally plebeian bargain basement store which over the last couple years has focused on good design and become a place for people with ordinary budgets to get good quality things. I guess W-S would have to agree. Twisted Evil

madame- glad you found your digital scale. I hesitated to buy one too but they are wonderful, aren't they?

I used mine to try these cookies from a British magazine that I picked up on another blog. The scale made it easy to do the measuring and, luckily, I was able to get Golden Syrup at a local store. I thought they were lovely — a sorta chocolate shortbread with a generous and yummy praline topping. I used macadamias & pistachios.

Nutty Chocolate Bars (Nutty Tray Bake)

A mix of plain chocolate (50g), muscovado sugar (80g) and butter (100g) are melted and mixed with plain flour (225g) to form the base. Spread this out in a baking tin and bake for 15-20 minutes at 180C/360F. Then a 300g mix of nuts (I used macadamia, hazelnut and walnuts but pistachios, cashews etc could be used) is coated with a melted mix of muscovado sugar (120g), Golden Syrup (40g) and butter (70g) that has had 1 tbsp of double cream stirred in. This is spread evenly over the base and baked for a further 10 minutes. Allow to cool.

Source: Delicious Magazine via SlashFood.com
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey Darling...Delicious mag...one of my favourites...it is the freshest food mag...lots of wit and charm and "you're THERE" photos...clear as day...as I type I look down at a stack...our daughter has tagged so many pages....row after row of yellow post it notes..there seems to be quite a system...recipes that have taken her eye...ain't it wonderful to see your children interested in foodland...

just for interest:http://www.deliciousmagazine.com.au

go you Aussie mag you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

raspberry muffin making today (I can now make them with my eyes closed!) ...we live near a river..and tonight "Much Ado About Nothing" by the river...picnics and fun...and a blamy night me hopes..
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed So sorry ! I took it to be a British mag since I think the contributor who shared the recipe was British. ...perhaps I've got that wrong too. But, I assure you, there's nothing wrong with the recipe — they're delicious and equally impressive to look at. Wink
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delicious mag does have quite a few British contributors - Jamie, Nigella, Mr Ramsey (he's too grumpy and scary to call 'Gordon'), and others. I gather the UK edition of the mag has synchronised itself with Northern Hemisphere seasons, whereas the one I saw available in the US comes from Australia.

It's all good, though

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy- Actually, I don't know who first created the recipe since I got it some generations from its origin. I meant that the person who shared it with the other blog where I picked it up is English.

Interesting to know that the mag is published in two hemispheres. Does that mean that you also have Golden Syrup? There was some discussion on the other blog (which is multi-national but has a majority of American readers) about how to make a substitution for Golden Syrup. I'm lucky I can get it, but it's hard to say how to substitute exactly. I don't think the recipe would be compromised too much by using corn syrup but there's a flavor thing that would be lost.

Anyway, they're awesome cookies. And I was grateful that my scale made it simple to follow the recipe. Wink
Judy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, we do have golden syrup, also known in Australia as 'cocky's joy'

madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jude my dear..you might have to explain "cocky" to the folks out there.... Wink
Judy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Madame ..... I wondered how long it would take.

A 'cocky' is Aussie slang for a farmer.

swan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thans for explaining that Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: