Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Spiced Chickpeas
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cindy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Spiced Chickpeas Reply with quote

I've converted a couple of chickpea skeptics with this recipe. I got it from an Indian-themed cooking class at Mondo Organics ( http://www.mondo-organics.com.au/ ). If you're ever in Brisbane, Australia, please pay them a visit and support a great restaurant!

Serving suggestions: This recipe is great served with bread or rice and a vegetable dish. Just as tasty at room temperature as it is hot. As a treat, I like to use leftovers as a filling for pastry triangles served with some Indian chutney or pickle. For a quick sauce just mix the extra lila masala with some yoghurt.

Spiced chickpeas

3 tablespoons ghee or oil
3 cups cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons chopped coriander (cilantro, not the seeds)
1 teaspoon asafetida powder
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons lila masala (recipe below)

Heat the oil in a saucepan, and add the mustard seeds. When they pop, sprinkle in the asafetida powder. Add lila masala and cook for two minutes. Pour in the tomato paste an cook for about 3 minutes. Fold in all the other ingredients and cook until the mixture thickens. Garnish with lemon juice and coriander.

Lila masala

1 bulb garlic cloves
4 green chillies
1 bunch mint
1 teaspoon salt
1 stem of ginger
2 bunches coriander (again, fresh cilantro not seeds)
juice of one lemon
oil

Peel the garlic and ginger. Wash the coriander and mint and blend all the ingredients together. Add a little oil and lemon juice.
Experiment with other herbs!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yum! I have only made Maya Kamal's Peppery chickpea's, this sounds great. Now I finally have a reason to use my asafetida! I think this weekend I will be dining Indian style.

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great. I love Indian. But qu'est ce que c'est "asafetida powder"? And where would I try to locate it?
Cindy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, asafetida powder is used frequently in Krishna cooking. My understanding is that Krishnas do not use garlic, onion, or a few other pungent flavours in their cooking as they interfere with meditation. Instead asafetida powder is said to combat the, erm, wind associated with a diet high in beans.

I eventually found asafetida at a local Asian supermarket. My jar is only about 1 inch cubed in size and was quite difficult to locate in a shop crammed with so many intriguing edibles!

Every time I open that little jar, the aroma reminds me of the Krishna cafe in the city that offers all-you-can-eat for $9...yum.
dadegroot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Spiced Chickpeas Reply with quote

Cindy wrote:
I
1 teaspoon asafetida powder

Ah a fellow Brisbanite!

But where, Cindy, do you find Asafetida in Brisbane ? (I'm more interested in the gum drops rather than the powder, but powder will do if nothing else can be found).

--
David
birgit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of info can be found at this interesting website:
http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Feru_ass.html
jenjen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chickpea recipe looks wonderful

one little problem in our house is the corriander, my husband loathes it, what do you recommend as an alternative?
dadegroot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jenjen wrote:
The chickpea recipe looks wonderful

one little problem in our house is the corriander, my husband loathes it, what do you recommend as an alternative?

Oooh, that's a tough one. Coriander is a fairly distinctive herb. I'd rate it as almost a signature herb for Indian / South East Asian cooking.

You could try parsley, it wouldn't taste anywhere near the same (but then if he can't eat coriander, you probably don't want it to taste the same), or maybe kaffir lime leaves (not usually used in this way, but it might work).

--
David
birgit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. there is something much worse than coriander -- long coriander! Shocked
http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Eryn_foe.html
For me coriander is ok as tiny fragments, actually meanwhile I think it's quite interesting (at least combined with e.g. tom yam soup), and I try it now and then, but I still don't understand why so many people like it so much -- coriander lovers, can you explain?
Cindy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Spiced Chickpeas Reply with quote

dadegroot wrote:

Ah a fellow Brisbanite!

Yes indeed! Although for the last week I've been in Sweden instead (how random). It's fortunate that I checked C&Z today.

dadegroot wrote:

But where, Cindy, do you find Asafetida in Brisbane ? (I'm more interested in the gum drops rather than the powder, but powder will do if nothing else can be found).

I've never even heard of the gum drop form! How do you use it?

I had quite some trouble finding asafoetida powder. I think I eventually found it in the Mrs Flannery's grocery (http://www.mrsflannerys.com.au/stores.htm) at the 'gabba. There may also be some specialty Indian groceries that stock it: one in the McWhirters building in the Fortitude Valley and another on Balaclava street in Woolloongabba spring to mind.

<edit> Just read my previous post, I clearly can't remember where I bought it at all! Embarassed My suggestions above are still the best ideas I have for tracking it down in Brisbane.

Last edited by Cindy on Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
birgit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

concerning chickpeas I've lately discovered chickpea pancakes (chickpea flour and surprisingly no eggs nor milk, only water and some spices) -- fast & delicious Smile
dadegroot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Spiced Chickpeas Reply with quote

Cindy wrote:

dadegroot wrote:

I've never even heard of the gum drop form! How do you use it?

Very very sparingly. It's also known as the resin form.
You break/cut off a very small amount, and fry it in a little oil until it dissolves, then use that oil to flavour your dish, or do as the Roman's did and store the resin with pine nuts and use the pine nuts to flavour your dish.

Cindy wrote:

I had quite some trouble finding asafoetida powder. I think I eventually found it in the Mrs Flannery's grocery (http://www.mrsflannerys.com.au/stores.htm) at the 'gabba.

Ah the every useful Mrs Flannery's... although I hadn't thought to look for asafoetida there (I get my specialty flours there, well at the Stafford one, until I can afford my own grain mill).

Cindy wrote:

There may also be some specialty Indian groceries that stock it: one in the McWhirters building in the Fortitude Valley and another on Balaclava street in Woolloongabba spring to mind.

Thanks, I'll have a hunt around. My first thought was maybe somewhere at West End, since they have all sorts of interesting little shops over there, but I haven't yet made the trek over to check them out.

--
David
Cindy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

birgit wrote:
concerning chickpeas I've lately discovered chickpea pancakes (chickpea flour and surprisingly no eggs nor milk, only water and some spices) -- fast & delicious Smile

Yes, Birgit, they're delicious! I had some chickpea pancakes (for the first time, last week) with chopped capsicum and mint, served with mushrooms, baby spinach leaves and mango chutney.
FoodSciGeek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several family members of mine are not fond of cilantro. We tend to use basil as a substitute.
jenjen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have done a great chickpea and fetta fritter, sing out if anyone wants the recipe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: