Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Good Side Dishes and Appetizers with Fish ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kristinamadonia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Good Side Dishes and Appetizers with Fish ? Reply with quote

Any suggestions for vegetables which would complement a light fish main dish? Not having much experience with fish yet, I can not easily fathom the possibilities. Roasted potatoes-- too heavy? Light greens? How about for an appetizer with cheese? Give me all your advice--it's for tonight's dinner, and after doing our income taxes last night resulted in no free time and a less than satisfying dinner, we need something good!
Thanks!
Epi_B

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like whipped potatoes, especially if you are doing a pan seared fish. You can whip them with garlic, butter and cream, or roasted cauliflour, yogurt and olive oil, or even a green puree of parsley, mint, anchovies, garlic, and a bit of dijon, butter and cream.

If you make this in advance and keep it in a covered dish in a low oven, you can then just pull it out and plate it when the fish is ready. I would probably also make a sauce or fruit salsa as a accompaniment.
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A crisp fresh salad is always nice.

Asparagus lightly cooked and drizzled with lemon butter is nice with a white fleshed meaty fish which has been pan fried. A sprinkle of macadamia nuts (not the salted snack types ones please) over the dish gives a lovely buttery crunch also.

Lightly steamed broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, snow peas, green beans, zucchini, etc.

Potato and fish is nice, but I prefer it with a heavier meaty and full flavoured fish (rather than a delicate filet of a less robust fish) such as salmon, tuna, dolphin fish - not dolphins, a fish called dolphin fish before anyone gets up in arms.

Polenta or couscous lightly flavoured with herbs is nice with fish.

There is also the sauces you could use.... think of a sauce and it can be adapted for fish.

My brother and I quite often ate thick "steak" like white fillets of fish which we cooked in the oven on a bed of canellini beans and with a chunky fresh tomato and herb sauce poured over the top. The fish cooks perfectly and keeps moist with the tomato based sauce. The beans soak up the flavours and sort of start to mush down and form a creamy tasty base. YUM!
BookGirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because I've never loved mashed potatoes, when I lived at home my mom would always make orzo to go with fish. she would cook up the pasta and toss it with fresh chopped parsley, olive oil and salt and pepper. we would have the fish (usually salmon), the pasta and a collection of grilled veggies-- thick slices of vidalia onions, red and yellow peppers, zuchinni-- whatever was around the house. really good and really easy!
msue

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightly cooked veggies are always a good choice for an accompaniment to fish. We like light salads too.

We are having pan seared tilapia for dinner tonight, so I just had to make some choices for the side dishes. Tonight I'll add a side of lightly steamed sugar snap peas (oh how I love those) and maybe some roasted potatoes. Depending on the mood at dinnertime, I might switch out the heavier potatoes for a light slaw.

The main goal tonight is to have a healthier dinner since last night we had a really rich pasta dish...scrumptious, but we both agreed that we don't want that much richness two nights in a row.
kristinamadonia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Thank You! Reply with quote

All you readers really came through for me--and in time for dinner too! Thanks so much!

I love the idea of a light orzo "salad" and grilled veggies as a side dish. Steamed veggies seem right too. I agree that perphaps potatoes are a tad on the heavy side for a delicate white fish, though they probably match better with the meatier fish.

The oven baked fish on top of canellini beans sounds amazing and easy--I'm going to try that!

We had a kind of heavy/ rushed dinner last night too--hence my longing for a lighter but longer and slower "with wine" dinner! It's funny how, the more I experiment and try new recipes in the kitchen, the more I would actually prefer a meal at home than one out, even in a "nicer" restaurant!

On my lunch break, after eating a yummy sweet potato and chickpea stew with prunes--I went out for a quick walk on the wind tunnel that is Queens' Quay (on Lake Ontario). There is a large LCBO there and despite not knowing much about wines, I take pleasure in browsing and choosing something new for this week. I am trying all the (well priced) Sicilian white wines they have, perhaps out of pure nostalgia (today it was Corvo, Oniris/ 2003) -- regardless, if anyone has any particular (good value) wine suggestion for a white that matches well with a range of foods, I would love to try them out. Maybe I should take a wine tasting course or something....
Donna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a variation on the tomato sauce idea that is very popular at our house. I put the fish in foil or parchment packets with white wine, a touch of fresh lemon juice, a couple of small spoonfuls of capers (to taste - we like a lot) and a pile of chopped fresh tomatoes on the top. Seal the packet and bake in a 350ยบ F oven for about 20 minutes (depending on the thickness of your fish). I did this with salmon last night, but I have done it with swordfish, orange roughy, sea bass and trout. It is a simple and lovely company meal - easy to prepare ahead and makes an elegant presentation in the parchment packets! Also - colorful! I have also prepared fish this way using preserved lemons instead of tomatoes. Also very tasty!

I agree with all of Debbie's suggestions for vegetables - I adore fresh greenbeans or tiny haricots verts with a drizzle of olive oil and finely chpped herbs and shallots over thetop. YUM Exclamation

I like a New Zealand Sauvignon Blac called Cloud Piercer with fish - dry and fresh and slightly citrus-y.
Foodie Fortuna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Good Side Dishes and Appetizers with Fish ? Reply with quote

If I were you I would get a recipe for mango salsa...it's easy and great with white fish. Oh, and I think any kind of rice dish would be good, too....but stay away from anything with cheese....I can't see that going well with fish.
queenla

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My standard basic fish dinner is with a cucumber salad(peeled,de- seeded, diced or sliced and salted to make it better-you can rinse the salt off after letting it sit, say for at least 15 minutes-yum; roughly chopped and olive oil crispy roasted potatoes with fresh rosemary, salt and pepper thrown on top; lime ailoi; and the fish (mainly salmon) cooked with lemon and sage.
I also agree with every above- particularly the beans and the mango.
Fish is scary at first but once you see what it looks like when it is cooked it gets easier (of course not all fish needs to be cooked right through, like salmon, tuna, marlin but you must make sure it is the freshest.
Good luck
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to serve asparagus, zucchini, some sort of small veggie tart, a salad of marinated veggies. there are so many possibilities.

Chef's tip: don't put acidic foods in aluminum foil, it is a reactive surface and tends to lend a tinny taste. It isn't safe to grow tomatoes in aluminum, there is some sort of chemical reaction that can lead to posioning.

"It's hot ham water."
melinda

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quickly sauteed spinach & garlic in olive oil.....with maybe some pine nuts
lpennin104

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband is French and he never wants anything with fish but white rice. I've noticed that it is always served with fish in restaurants in France as well. It does go well with fish and it's easy too. I always put the rice on first-Uncle Ben's 10 minute rice-then after five minutes I fry up chopped onions in a small amount of oil. Just as they start to brown I shove them to the side of the pan and put in the fish fillets which I have dipped in flour. I usually have to add more oil at this point or the fish doesn't turn as brown as I like. Then, voila, it is all done about the same time and ready to eat. I learned that salmon is very good if marinated for a while first in soy sauce and then broiled on each side about 4 minutes per side depending on the thickness. I serve this with rice too. Then a simple salad to follow with cheese at the end. Fish is very easy come to think of it, probably because it cooks so quickly.
Coco

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a side dish or an appetizer, but just this a.m. came across Rose Jam for sale and it was suggested as a condiment for Salmon.

How delicious does that sound?! Very Happy
Richard Leader

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this depends very much on what sort of fish you want and how you are going to cook it. For example, pan fried salmon or trout are pretty oily and quite heavy - a few saute potatoes and perhaps some tzatziki work well (I have a recipe on my blog site for this).
Something more meaty such as cod or monkfish, for example, either grilled or roasted might go well with some crushed potatoes and something green (spinach?).
A fish that I do love is John Dory (St Peter's fish) which has a more subtle flavour than others goes well with some roasted tomatoes and a few poached baby leeks.
On the rice theme mentioned above, you might want to try a 'plain' risotto - just made with onion, garlic, white wine and a good stock.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: